Tune up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tune up

Reaction score
City, State
Madison,WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford Explorer
Hello I'm new to this site and was wanting some tips and pointers on how to basically get my '00 ford explorer 4.0 SOHC road ready again. Last time it was on the road was four years ago and I had replaced the water pump and pulley along with the belt. I wanna basically give it a tune up such as spark plugs wires, alternator(which I believe is bad bc the battery kept failing), all fluids, air filter, fuel filter. I'm not a professional mechanic but I can most things under the hood if not I'm mechanically inclined to learn it. Just wondering what else I could do to make it run as efficiently as possible. Thank .

New air filter, oil change, clean the MAF-mas air flow with some CRC. If its high mileage consider new oxygen sensors if they are original get a trusted brand like Bosch. Run that old gas out, new fuel filter if its never been done.

As for the alternator/ battery: if you don't have test equipment take it in to any auto parts they should hook a "toaster" to the battery and check its CCA -cold cranking amps. They can also check your alternator, you could also check with a DMM-digital multi meter. 12V @ vehicle off. 14V or above at idle. Then you know for sure what your dealing with.

Battery tester:ya I call it a toaster, its a heating element on a switch, by holding the switch the element acts as the load and stresses the battery, if it dips into the yellow or red range per the rating tag, its time for a fresh one

Back