Tune with no other modifications?

KamloopsDan

Reaction score
City, State
Kamloops, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Hello,

We have just picked up an immaculate one owner from new 2013 Sport with low mileage (48,000kms - about 30k miles) and I have a question about Ecoboost tuning.

Is it possible to purchase a tuner and load a slightly more aggressive tune with no hardware modifications? I have a MazdaSpeed6 that has been extensively modified and I don't want to go down that road with the new Explorer. I would prefer to load a higher octane tune and be done.

Is this possible, or do I really need colder plugs, cooler thermostat and a 3 bar MAP sensor? I realize I will get more power from those mods, but I'm not really worried about squeezing every last pony out, I'm only interested in running a higher octane tune at the moment.

Thanks
Dan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Dan.:wave:
I'm sure some members will respond to you shortly. I just run stock and think the Ecoboost supplies all the power I need.

Peter

You should be able to as it is an option from Livernois.

I will be opting in for the 91 performance tune and 3 bar map sensor as it seems simple enough to replace.

After I run that for a bit I'll decide whether I want to pony up to have the thermostat installed.

I won't be changing the spark plugs until I hit the "recommend to replace" territory with the stock plugs.

Hey Zodiac,
Whats the life of the plugs? Any recommended brands or the stock is fine?

Hey Zodiac,
Whats the life of the plugs? Any recommended brands or the stock is fine?
Page 424 of your Owner's Manual says 100k miles for scheduled maintenance.

Peter

Hello,

We have just picked up an immaculate one owner from new 2013 Sport with low mileage (48,000kms - about 30k miles) and I have a question about Ecoboost tuning.

Is it possible to purchase a tuner and load a slightly more aggressive tune with no hardware modifications? I have a MazdaSpeed6 that has been extensively modified and I don't want to go down that road with the new Explorer. I would prefer to load a higher octane tune and be done.

Is this possible, or do I really need colder plugs, cooler thermostat and a 3 bar MAP sensor? I realize I will get more power from those mods, but I'm not really worried about squeezing every last pony out, I'm only interested in running a higher octane tune at the moment.

Thanks
Dan

Based on what I've read, a tune alone does wonders to the 3.5Ecoboost.
They(tuners) can also adjust the transmission shifting, which supposedly makes performance even better.
I'd like to get a tune, but not ready to spend the money....yet.

Read up on the ecoboost forums for this from what I've read you can run 100% stock vehicle up to 18- 20 lbs of boost. Alot of f150 guys are still on the stock 2.5 bar map. That comes from the factory it's good up to 21.5 psi. I personally have a drop in k&n and am working on a good 91 tune to keep it around 18 psi... Give it more get up and go but not all out.. I do always run 93 octane anyways and recently changed my plugs ( factory replacement)

Read up on the ecoboost forums for this from what I've read you can run 100% stock vehicle up to 18- 20 lbs of boost. Alot of f150 guys are still on the stock 2.5 bar map. That comes from the factory it's good up to 21.5 psi. I personally have a drop in k&n and am working on a good 91 tune to keep it around 18 psi... Give it more get up and go but not all out.. I do always run 93 octane anyways and recently changed my plugs ( factory replacement)

The f150 comes stock with a 2.5 map sensor, hence the reason their 3.5 puts out over 380hp/400ft/lb torque. The Explorer comes with a 2 bar, which only reads to 14psi. You’ll want the 3 bar (or 2.5 But why bother if it’s the same price?) if you plan on running 18psi and hope the ecu can read the boost pressure. Otherwise you’ll spike above 14psi but never allow the ecu to know the appropriate air/fuel ratio to match the boost. Pay the $60, get the 3 bar and take the 5 minutes to swap it out to run a 3 bar tune.

To answer the original question... get the tuner and 3 bar map sensor from Livernois, run the 3 bar tune, you’ll be more than pleased with the results. Any future upgrades you choose to modify, send a message to Livernois and they’ll send you a modified tune within 24 hours to match the new modification.

Best of luck!

The f150 comes stock with a 2.5 map sensor, hence the reason their 3.5 puts out over 380hp/400ft/lb torque. The Explorer comes with a 2 bar, which only reads to 14psi. You’ll want the 3 bar (or 2.5 But why bother if it’s the same price?) if you plan on running 18psi and hope the ecu can read the boost pressure. Otherwise you’ll spike above 14psi but never allow the ecu to know the appropriate air/fuel ratio to match the boost. Pay the $60, get the 3 bar and take the 5 minutes to swap it out to run a 3 bar tune.

To answer the original question... get the tuner and 3 bar map sensor from Livernois, run the 3 bar tune, you’ll be more than pleased with the results. Any future upgrades you choose to modify, send a message to Livernois and they’ll send you a modified tune within 24 hours to match the new modification.

Best of luck!

Thanks Joel, I think it makes sense to go the 3 bar map sensor & Livernois tune route. I just wish the USA>CDN exchange was better....this stuff isn't cheap when you convert to CDN$$

Cheers everyone
Dan

Thanks Joel, I think it makes sense to go the 3 bar map sensor & Livernois tune route. I just wish the USA>CDN exchange was better....this stuff isn't cheap when you convert to CDN$$

Cheers everyone
Dan

It's not even cheap when you don't convert it. :)

I just installed the Livernois 93 Octane Tune in my 2013 Explored Sport but I opted to add the 3 BAR MAP sensor also because Livernois states that to get the most out of a tune without extensive mods the 3 BAR Sensor gets you the most gain and based on what I am experiencing with my Sport it does!

I put a K&N CAI in the Sport rite after I bought it last year. I knew I wanted a tune and spent the best part of a year deciding who's tune and tuner to buy. No one locally AFAIK had done anything to their Explorer Sports or Platinum's. I accidentally met a Taurus SHO owner and I asked him about his car and it's performance and he told me he had a Livernois tune in his Taurus and couldn't say enough about its performance. He took me for a ride and it was impressive. I let him get behind the wheel of my Sport and he said it felt like his Taurus before he added the tune.

I was convinced and got mine shortly thereafter ...

I've been running the 3bar map sensor and 91 performance tune for a couple of months now and I have to say it is great! Definitely something that should have been stock from the factory.

If you are don't want to make extensive changes as far as mods go, all you need for the 3 bar sensor is a screw driver and it pops right off. Took less than a couple of minutes.

I stopped by Livernois yesterday and picked up a tuner, cold air intake, and 3-bar MAP sensor for my 2014 Explorer Sport. While I was there, they said, "Let's go tune it right now." They loaded my tuner with various tunes, including a 93 Octane for the stock 2-bar sensor. We changed no hardware (though I had previously put a Borla cat-back exhaust on), and applied the tune in their parking lot. It was a VERY noticeable difference, with the stock MAP! The drive home, and in to work this morning was a ton of fun. :) So yes, they definitely can give you a tune for the stock setup. Note I had also changed the plugs myself, I replaced them with the Ford recommended SP534's gapped to .03. Likely, I could have just left my factory plugs in and been fine but I wanted to make sure they were gapped properly.

As soon as I get a chance I'll put the 3-Bar MAP on, then just re-tune it with the "93 Octane 3-Bar" tune.

I stopped by Livernois yesterday and picked up a tuner, cold air intake, and 3-bar MAP sensor for my 2014 Explorer Sport. While I was there, they said, "Let's go tune it right now." They loaded my tuner with various tunes, including a 93 Octane for the stock 2-bar sensor. We changed no hardware (though I had previously put a Borla cat-back exhaust on), and applied the tune in their parking lot. It was a VERY noticeable difference, with the stock MAP! The drive home, and in to work this morning was a ton of fun. :) So yes, they definitely can give you a tune for the stock setup. Note I had also changed the plugs myself, I replaced them with the Ford recommended SP534's gapped to .03. Likely, I could have just left my factory plugs in and been fine but I wanted to make sure they were gapped properly.

As soon as I get a chance I'll put the 3-Bar MAP on, then just re-tune it with the "93 Octane 3-Bar" tune.

What is the difference between .03 gapped plugs and stock as far as performance goes and is there any downside of keeping the stock ones (for now until they need replacing)?

Mine are stock, I don't believe in fixing what isn't broken, and my Sport runs like a Cheetah on performance enhancing drugs... :)

What is the difference between .03 gapped plugs and stock as far as performance goes and is there any downside of keeping the stock ones (for now until they need replacing)?

As I said, I likely didn't really need to change the plugs. Livernois recommended it, to make sure they didn't have too big of a gap. Concern is spark blowout, but plenty of people say they don't change the plugs and have no issues at all.

I wanted to change them anyway, just to make sure all was well and to verify the gap. I only have 29,000 miles on the car, but it is 4.5 years old. And I was glad I changed them - 5 of the 6 looked great and probably could be regapped and put back in - but one was badly corroded:
plugs.jpg

So I'm glad I found that and replaced it (and I'm working on finding out why/how water is getting past the coil pack).
The removed plugs all showed a gap of between .032 and .036. The new plugs I bought, 3 of the 6 came at .030, two at .032, and one was .034 out of the box.

Back