Tuned the Turbo 5.0 Explorer!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tuned the Turbo 5.0 Explorer!!

I finally got the Ex tuned this weekend; James drove out Saturday and we got to it. Turns out I am about to max out my Lightning MAF, so when I retune in the spring for 12psi I will have to move up to a SCT BA3000 meter. The truck ran great, only ran into a few issues- I blew a coupler off about 1/4 mile from the house, and then I blew oil all over the engine bay because of a faulty PCV valve. I stopped by the parts store and got a new PCV valve and a one way check valve and it fixed that problem. We ended up having to drive to I-55 to do the 2nd gear pulls because it turns out my truck will do 80mph in 2nd. We also had some issues with my brand new Xcal 2 datalogging, so James did a warranty claim on it and I upgraded to the Xcal3. It basically does the same thing but has more memory, better menu system, and the analog inputs are wired through a much more common Firewire cable(the Xcal 2 uses a 9pin mini din cable).

I was freaking out Wednesday because I realized I forgot to order my new wastegate spring. So I decided I would try to trim my 12psi spring down a little; but before I did I put it on a pump to see where it opened. It was opening on air alone at about 9 psi(spring was colored wrong), but opened at ~5spi on the truck. Since this spring was a large Tial spring, I was able to add a 4psi spring I had in there with it. This finally got me 9psi measured at the madifold.

Since we street tuned it, I dont have any numbers- I can tell you that it tries to lose traction when boost comes on in 1st gear, and the truck is AWD! My AFR was a perfect 11.5-6 across the board thanks to James. He also made this a safe tune timing wise.

I finished the day by going to the car wash to clean up my oil covered engine bay. I dumped so much oil because I was putting pressure into my PCV valve, I have a vented oil cap, and my turbo oil return happens to be on the oil filler neck. So most of the oil being returned from the turbo was being blown right out of the vented cap.

Here are some pictures, and there is a teaser video at the bottom....

IM000084Large.jpg

IM000083Large.jpg

IM000081Large.jpg

th_trucktakeoff.jpg

Totally awesome man I have a 4.6 and wanting turbo and was curiouse wich one you had and will it work forr mine... thanks fo the help

how do you have it plumbed as far a from block to turbo

Love this thread! Want to duplicate your setup to put under a 53'F100 body. Can U give me a quick rundown of the setup U R running? Much appreciated so we R all on the same page.

Love this thread! Want to duplicate your setup to put under a 53'F100 body. Can U give me a quick rundown of the setup U R running? Much appreciated so we R all on the same page.

I believe this thread hasn't been touched in something like 6 years and I don't think Justin is on the forum any longer lol. I actually bought his explorer and ripped much of the setup out and have a turbo back to NA build thread in this section.

Back