Tuning and Bolt Ons | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tuning and Bolt Ons

dhorsfield

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice and opinions (yes I already know what I’m in for.. ).

I just bought a new to me 2016 Sport with the 3.5 Eco. I’m looking to do a few things to it but not go nuts or the past, I’ve always just done CAI, tune, and exhaust to get more power out of my vehicles. So, guys with the 16’s and eco boost.. tell me what you’ve done and your opinion on each is..

CAI: I read somewhere in this forum that leaving the stock air box is best for this motor rather than replace with a new CAI. If this is the case, what about replacing the stock air filter with an oiled high flow filter?

Tune: I’ve been reading that Livernois seems to be the best tune for this motor, especially the v3. I’m willing to spend the money on the tuner for their preinstalled tunes, but wondering if a Hypertech or Diablo works just as well for a lower price.

Exhaust: I’d like an exhaust with an aggressive sound. I don’t care about drone noise. I had an F150 with a metal Mulisha exhaust that was loud and nasty that I loved. Is the Livernoise exhaust mean vs the Borla?

I also read that for best performance that the plugs and other things should be replaced, but are they required is my question?

I’d like to hear everyone’s opinions on this. Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

.........CAI: I read somewhere in this forum that leaving the stock air box is best for this motor rather than replace with a new CAI. If this is the case, what about replacing the stock air filter with an oiled high flow filter?
I’d like to hear everyone’s opinions on this. Thanks guys!
K&N air filter question

.......Exhaust: I’d like an exhaust with an aggressive sound. I don’t care about drone noise. I had an F150 with a metal Mulisha exhaust that was loud and nasty that I loved. Is the Livernoise exhaust mean vs the Borla?
Not sure if you've read this thread; Aftermarket Sport Exhaust Thread
There are several threads on aftermarket exhausts that relate to changing the OEM exhaust system that the 'Search' feature can locate. I don't think there is a specific one on Livernois vs Borla. Several on Flowmaster etc.

Peter

It’s basically looking like tuner and exhaust. I like the sound of the Borla. Which tuner... leaning to Livernois.

It’s basically looking like tuner and exhaust. I like the sound of the Borla. Which tuner... leaning to Livernois.

Personally I went with Brew City Boost and couldn't be happier. 1 they are a bit cheaper, and 2 they work with you to build a custom tune for your set up and wants rather than just an off the shelf tune. They send you a base tune and then you drive it for a while and record information that you then send back to them. They look it over and tweak the tune to your specific setup.

Its a super easy process and the guys there have been very helpful. I don't have anything but praise for those guys.

Just my 2 cents as I was thinking I would go with Livernois too but they haven't been present on this forum for a long long time or on some other online groups I'm part of so I decided to go with people that were active in these communities that received great reviews.

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to help.

Thomas

Personally I went with Brew City Boost and couldn't be happier. 1 they are a bit cheaper, and 2 they work with you to build a custom tune for your set up and wants rather than just an off the shelf tune. They send you a base tune and then you drive it for a while and record information that you then send back to them. They look it over and tweak the tune to your specific setup.

Its a super easy process and the guys there have been very helpful. I don't have anything but praise for those guys.

Just my 2 cents as I was thinking I would go with Livernois too but they haven't been present on this forum for a long long time or on some other online groups I'm part of so I decided to go with people that were active in these communities that received great reviews.

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to help.

Thomas

Awesome man! That’s what I’m looking for, which tuner and why? I appreciate your help. With theirs, is it like any other where you can turn off speed limiters.. rev limiters.. that kind of stuff, or do you have to tell them to and they do it for you? Do they charge for each time they build a new tune?

Awesome man! That’s what I’m looking for, which tuner and why? I appreciate your help. With theirs, is it like any other where you can turn off speed limiters.. rev limiters.. that kind of stuff, or do you have to tell them to and they do it for you? Do they charge for each time they build a new tune?

Happy to help. Currently I am on my 4th revision to my tune as we are just working on getting everything dialed in just right for the vehicle and my likes. I know that this back and forth process is normal. It is my understanding that if in the future I add a new mod and want my tune updated it should not cost extra or if it turns out to be more work it should be discounted.

The tune I have goes through the SCT X4 device which allows you to disable speed limiters and rev limiters your self or else you can always ask them and the file they send you can have those settings baked into it.

Back