Tuning Issue--look inside | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tuning Issue--look inside

So the problem is that RubySlow, and I's mountys are turtles off the line, but once in the higher rpm's, take off, especially when already moving and the trans kicks down. First off are there any more of you 302 guys out there with a similar problem? Everyone says that our motors love back pressure and both Ruby and I have bigger exhaust systems than stock, also my problem got more noticeable after Jon and I put my TM headers on.

Now to my idea, get another 302 throttle body, 65mm, my exhaust is 2.5" which is 64mm, so it's a good size match. and drill out some holes, or maybe cut half of the butterfly off. Then put attach it to the exhaust pipe, and wire it in to the gas pedal. So at idle, and lower rpm's it would be more restrictive, but at WOT, it would open up and flow like it does now. Could this work? Am I crazy?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay I went to start my car today as I left work and the check engine light was off, and I hadnt disconnected the battery. It might be a wire or something.. is there a way to see the a/f ratios? at the low rpms and high rpms?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

To the threadstarter....do not bother with the whole TB in the exhaust deal. You do not have that large an exhaust anyways so lesser back pressure is not your problem. There are also other reasons than that of why you should not do it but I will keep it simple for once. ;)

To Rubyslow, your problem is with the IAC codes is to do with the TB and not the CAI. It is typical to have slight IAC issues after replacing a TB with a different one.

To the fella trying to log spark. I would log spark and spark source along with your normal logging stuff like load and so on... Spark will of course tell you what your actual spark is and the spark source will be able to tell you which spark table the PCM is referencing at that time.

To the threadstarter....do not bother with the whole TB in the exhaust deal. You do not have that large an exhaust anyways so lesser back pressure is not your problem. There are also other reasons than that of why you should not do it but I will keep it simple for once. ;)

To Rubyslow, your problem is with the IAC codes is to do with the TB and not the CAI. It is typical to have slight IAC issues after replacing a TB with a different one.

To the fella trying to log spark. I would log spark and spark source along with your normal logging stuff like load and so on... Spark will of course tell you what your actual spark is and the spark source will be able to tell you which spark table the PCM is referencing at that time.

So do I need another IAC like one off a mustang? or just adapt the one I have... because my car starts right up and doesnt drop or surge. the idle it runs like it always has.... the car is fast just slow at low rpms

So do I need another IAC like one off a mustang? or just adapt the one I have... because my car starts right up and doesnt drop or surge. the idle it runs like it always has.... the car is fast just slow at low rpms

Make sure your TPS is reading the same on the new TB as it was on the old one. I would do a direct voltmeter test on it. That will ensure that your PCM is seeing the exact same reference at idle for this new TB which will in turn ensure that it is not trying to compensate for anything through the IAC.

I take it that you are tuned already?

I never got a CEL, from the intake.

what other data do you want to see?

Spark timing
air fuel ratio
throttle position
speed

is there a way to graph all of them together?

do a 0-45 mph pull if you could--

I can do that (as soon as I get access to the laptop again)

I thought you were doing that yesterday-:confused: :confused:

when you disappeared-I said to myself "yep, he crashed his truck while looking at the screen---"
JK
Now, go slap your brother into submission and grab the laptop--:D

what software do you use and are you connected to the obdII port

I thought you were doing that yesterday-:confused: :confused:

when you disappeared-I said to myself "yep, he crashed his truck while looking at the screen---"
JK
Now, go slap your brother into submission and grab the laptop--:D

lol, I had to go to bed. I didn't get all of those things recorded together, so I can't put them on the same graph, I'll have to do it again. Besides I was thinking that I need to do it with the stock program, and one of James programs to see if there is any difference.

Ok, since my mom has the laptop:( (could be hours before she gives it up) I"m just going to do it the slow way and record to the x-cal, and then upload to my pc. But it wants to know my ECM type, does anyone know what that is?

options are

88k EEC 5
112k EEC 5
216K EEC 5
1472K black oak SCP
1472K black oak CAN
1024k spanish oak
1024k PTEC
448k black oak
512k black oak

A list of common processor types are:

Processor Type
Vehicles

88k EEC V
1994-1995 V6 (3.8) Mustangs

112k EEC V
1996-1997 Mustangs

216k EECV
1998-2004 Mustangs, 7.3 Liter Diesel F-Series, Marauder,

216k EECV
Z-TEC Focus, Lightning Truck, Harley Truck, 2004 4.2

216k EECV
liter F-150, 2004 F-250 5.4 Liter, 2004 F-series V-10

1472k Black Oak SCP
SVT Focus

1472k Black Oak CAN
2005 -2006 F-150, 2004 4.6 F-150, 2004 5.4 F-150

1024k Spanish Oak
2005-2006 Mustangs, 2005 F-250, 2005 F-Series V10

1024k PTEC
Lincoln LS, Late model T-Bird. Explorer

448k Black Oak
2003-2004 6.0 Diesel F-Series

512 Black Oak
2005-2006 6.0 Diesel F-Series

as you can see my mounty isn't listed, oh and Jon it will record up to 20 parameters at one time on the x-cal, i'm guessing you can do more if you connected to the laptop.

Ok, since my mom has the laptop:( (could be hours before she gives it up) I"m just going to do it the slow way and record to the x-cal, and then upload to my pc. But it wants to know my ECM type, does anyone know what that is?

options are

88k EEC 5
112k EEC 5
216K EEC 5
1472K black oak SCP
1472K black oak CAN
1024k spanish oak
1024k PTEC
448k black oak
512k black oak

A list of common processor types are:

Processor Type
Vehicles

88k EEC V
1994-1995 V6 (3.8) Mustangs

112k EEC V
1996-1997 Mustangs

216k EECV
1998-2004 Mustangs, 7.3 Liter Diesel F-Series, Marauder,

216k EECV
Z-TEC Focus, Lightning Truck, Harley Truck, 2004 4.2

216k EECV
liter F-150, 2004 F-250 5.4 Liter, 2004 F-series V-10

1472k Black Oak SCP
SVT Focus

1472k Black Oak CAN
2005 -2006 F-150, 2004 4.6 F-150, 2004 5.4 F-150

1024k Spanish Oak
2005-2006 Mustangs, 2005 F-250, 2005 F-Series V10

1024k PTEC
Lincoln LS, Late model T-Bird. Explorer

448k Black Oak
2003-2004 6.0 Diesel F-Series

512 Black Oak
2005-2006 6.0 Diesel F-Series

as you can see my mounty isn't listed, oh and Jon it will record up to 20 parameters at one time on the x-cal, i'm guessing you can do more if you connected to the laptop.

I have no idea---although explorer is listed---

durp, didn't even see it

stock tune
stocktuneLarge.jpg

will post with street tune in about 15 minutes

I have no idea---although explorer is listed---

The 1996-2001 four door Explorer's are 216k EEC-V PCM.

The 2002-2005 four door Explorer's use the 1024k PTEC processor.

The 216k refers to the tunefile size. So the tunefile size for my 2003 Explorer is about 1MB (1024k). Lets just say that it sucks when reloading a new tune to my Explorer. Takes forever. :salute:

Back