Tuning options for 2016 Sport??? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tuning options for 2016 Sport???

couple of questions......

are the catted downpipes 50 state legal?.... living in the republic of NJ isn't easy when it comes to inspection..

the cat back, now that there are 2 model years with the beauty panels in the rear, could there be an update to the system? I hear ya about US made and all that and I try to live that model when I can, but for that much money we shouldn't have to remove parts when we want to remain looking stock. plus putting a round peg in a rectangular hole never looks good.

if someone has these pipes, either cutback or down pipes or both can you show us what it sounds like in a vid. the ones I found aren't really that good.

finally for the jersey folks... where do you go for installation of your parts. had a shop when I played around with my stang but they moved and also now hearing horror stories about them. I like to get recommendations so I don't bring my cars to hacks, so if you have any please recommend them... Thanks!

I would imagine the catted pipes are legal for us inspection nazi states. One of the biggest things that would hinder me (aside from being too loud) from getting a new cat back would be how the stock exhaust exits with the body.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no emissions state that will accept an actual aftermarket catalyst pass emissions testing. It is pretty clear in every emissions testing standard that it is automatically illegal to remove or modify a functioning catalyst.

Magnaflow mufflers are made our of 400 series grade stainless steel. They will develop surface rust. They may not rust through, but 400 series ss is guaranteed to develop surface rust within months and look like sht. MF says so themselves on their web site. I would not touch that crap with a ten foot pole, even for $600. Dont need a rust dripping exhaust on our new vehicle.

The LMS exhaust requires that you loose the exhaust panels on the 16 and 17. There is no ifs or maybes about it. If you want to keep them, you need to cut off the tips, weld new hangers on and bend the left over outlet pipes upward to match up to the panel. Or you can get the lower bumper trim from the limited or xlt with round cutouts in silver for $70. I still have it sitting around, because to install it you have to remove the bumper and it is a pita! Ford went nuts with clips and rivets that need to come off. Its hardly worth the hours of work and broken clips. Yea you have a smallish round tip in a big square exhaust opening, but it almost looks ok.

The LMS exhaust requires that you loose the exhaust panels on the 16 and 17. There is no ifs or maybes about it. If you want to keep them, you need to cut off the tips, weld new hangers on and bend the left over outlet pipes upward to match up to the panel. Or you can get the lower bumper trim from the limited or xlt with round cutouts in silver for $70. I still have it sitting around, because to install it you have to remove the bumper and it is a pita! Ford went nuts with clips and rivets that need to come off. Its hardly worth the hours of work and broken clips. Yea you have a smallish round tip in a big square exhaust opening, but it almost looks ok.

Damn, why are Germans so easy to modify. Put on that chip on the BMW 535 my friend says and at will gain 30hp. plug and play stuff my friend says, un blug it when in service. What is that, is it because of their Straight I 6 cylinder engines or what? I used to have an I6 straight inline 6 in my Lexus GS 98...probably the best inline 6. It was probably made by Germans and the delivered to Japan. .2 or .5 seconds fast 0-60mph is all the EX could do as it is a beast heavy truck, but we have to invest at least a couple of thousands for it to be 0.5 seconds faster in 0-60mph.

The US looks like a bunch of shermans vs German King tigers or panthers. Why is their technology so much better then ours? Why do they mod their vehicles so much faster and gain better results.

What are you guys talking about. The natural state of a 5k lb vehicle is standing still. Adding even 100hp is not going to make it a whole of a lot faster. It has nothing to do with its country of origin. Physics apply equally on evey continent.

I guess I was asking more of does it pass the smog test. my stang had 6 converters from factory. went with after market hi-flow catted pipe which reduced to 2 if memory serves me and was able to pass emissions.. they just plug in to ob2 and check the values from o2 sensors through the computer now.
There is no emissions state that will accept an actual aftermarket catalyst pass emissions testing. It is pretty clear in every emissions testing standard that it is automatically illegal to remove or modify a functioning catalyst.

as for the tail pipes, it seems that sports/platinums from 16 on are going to have the rectangular shape now so you now have a new market. People who buy 50k cars will spend the money as a large percentage don't want their cars looking like ass. I mean you charge 100 more for the black tips, why can't you do the same and just have the 2 1/2inch pipe after the muffler as it is now from stock? if you make them in house you only have to modify the part off the back of the muffler which looks like its an add on anyway. theoretically it should be 100 off as you don't have to cut and weld that piece on.. at least it looks that way from the pics on your site...

btw, just fyi, you prob have my business after the new year as I want to put a few months on the car to make sure I have no problems first.

I'd be very interested in an aftermarket exhaust that kept a similar looking factory exit for the 16+ sports/plats with black chrome tips. Actually, I'd probably put a deposit on one right now.

Damn, why are Germans so easy to modify. Put on that chip on the BMW 535 my friend says and at will gain 30hp. plug and play stuff my friend says, un blug it when in service. What is that, is it because of their Straight I 6 cylinder engines or what? I used to have an I6 straight inline 6 in my Lexus GS 98...probably the best inline 6. It was probably made by Germans and the delivered to Japan. .2 or .5 seconds fast 0-60mph is all the EX could do as it is a beast heavy truck, but we have to invest at least a couple of thousands for it to be 0.5 seconds faster in 0-60mph.

30bhp from a chip VS 59WHP from a tune that you have to read a couple codes for...I would take tuning all day. It takes literally 2 mins and you get twice the return on your initial investment. We are also comparing a 20 year old fledgling OBDii tech VS a modern ECM of a factory twin turbo platform with 22+ THOUSAND tuning tables! Sure VANOS was cool back in the 90's, but that is nothing on what we have today. To keep with the Euro theme comparing a mid to late 90's ECM would be like a 1994 325i E36 to the double VANOS, octuple throttle body having F80 M3.

Thunderstorm - MF
US made - not US made
304T SS - 403 Chinese aluminized metal
ZERO drone - good luck talking on your phone
A kit that was actually engineered for the XSport - a modified "made to work kit"
Low angle mandrel bends for the highest flow possible - it has bends
Proven results - you get pics of lines on a graph

Sure my last point especially has a little Jeremy Clarkson in it, but it is true nonetheless. There is always a premium that is put on a product that is expertly crafted from superior materials.

There are some inconsistences to your above quote....5 actually

http://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=19273

Have this on my 2017 Explorer sport. It fits perfect with the factory valance in place and I can talk on my phone without any issues. The exhaust has a fairly tame sound if you ask me.

• All Mandrel Bent Tubing
• 409 Stainless Steel Construction
• Increased Horsepower and Torque
• Lifetime Construction Warranty
• Made in USA

Hey Livernois.

Big fan.

There is much good karma for you from my usual forums, svtperformance.com. I would have loved to get my old Edge 2.0L EB tuned by you but it was the first gen computer so there weren't many options. I intentionally opted for the Sport when I bought my Explorer because of the bigger aftermarket.

I'm close, Cleveland. What's the good word on tune+dyno if I bring it up?

There are some inconsistences to your above quote....5 actually

Have this on my 2017 Explorer sport. It fits perfect with the factory valance in place and I can talk on my phone without any issues. The exhaust has a fairly tame sound if you ask me.

• Made in USA

Looks like that is a full cat back system and not just the mufflers. Did you try going 65-75MPH did it have any drone noise? I am doing lots of reading on this. Here is the link Did you also do CAI? I don't want to pay a few K in upgrades and getting this dreaded drone noise, especially at 65-75mph. That is my biggest concern.

Looks like that is a full cat back system and not just the mufflers. Did you try going 65-75MPH did it have any drone noise? I am doing lots of reading on this. Here is the link Did you also do CAI? I don't want to pay a few K in upgrades and getting this dreaded drone noise, especially at 65-75mph. That is my biggest concern.

The car in your video is an S550 (2015+) Mustang, so a little bit difference. Do a simple YouTube search for "Rasp from Hell". This is something that is VERY common with EB exhaust kits especially!

There are some *inconsistencies* to your above quote....5 actually

• Made in USA

Just because it is bent using a mandrel bender does not mean that the angles are correct or even good for flow.
The difference between made in USA and made with in the US with all US made materials is very different!
409 in any real winter state or sea side location will decay after a couple seasons. Our 304 kits are guaranteed
Increased from what? We have countless reviews of cars with the kit installed after dyno and/or track trips.
There is no "construction" limitation to the warranty of our kit.

If you would like to see the differences between an adapted kit and actual kit look at these images:
_q90_w680_h_images_ePIM_original_P04_LPP14315_main.jpg

19273.jpg

The MF kit is utilizing a common Taurus base as a guide. There should be 2 separate tubes (one from each turbo downpipe) running into each muffler.

Hey Livernois.

Big fan.

There is much good karma for you from my usual forums, svtperformance.com. I would have loved to get my old Edge 2.0L EB tuned by you but it was the first gen computer so there weren't many options. I intentionally opted for the Sport when I bought my Explorer because of the bigger aftermarket.

I'm close, Cleveland. What's the good word on tune+dyno if I bring it up?

THANKS Cougar (yes I get the XR7 reference)!

I can have someone from the sales team provide you with a detailed estimate if you would like!

All that I need to get you an estimate is a PM with the following:

First Name
Last Name
Street Address
City
Zip/postal code
Phone number
E-Mail address

NO CAI and no drone. My wife wanted something with a little more sound and the Magnaflow fit the bill. She did not like the look without the factory valance or the tail pipes hanging below the bumper with other systems on the 16-17's. Exhaust on a EB do very little performance wise without a tune and I personally don't like the sound of any of them Explorer, F150, SHO or whatever. Want bank for your buck look somewhere else...Unleashed, SSI, Livernois.....whoever turns your crank.

Zack. I don't understand when you say No CAI and no drone. CAI does not give you a drone, its the aftermarket exhaust. I want to upgrade CAI and exhaust but no one has any videos or much info on 16-17 XP Sport with those 2 options. This truck already runs at 5.8 or so 0-60 and with a tune it will just increase the speed of 0.5 or so, not even a second faster as it is a heavy beast of a truck. I am satisfied with a stock speed and can turn in an out of traffic seamlessly but I just wanted to hear a little bit more of that sound coming out of engine and exhaust. I will not race it on a drag strip and 0. something faster will not matter as I am a daily driver.

Zack. I don't understand when you say No CAI and no drone. CAI does not give you a drone, its the aftermarket exhaust. I want to upgrade CAI and exhaust but no one has any videos or much info on 16-17 XP Sport with those 2 options. This truck already runs at 5.8 or so 0-60 and with a tune it will just increase the speed of 0.5 or so, not even a second faster as it is a heavy beast of a truck. I am satisfied with a stock speed and can turn in an out of traffic seamlessly but I just wanted to hear a little bit more of that sound coming out of engine and exhaust. I will not race it on a drag strip and 0. something faster will not matter as I am a daily driver.

Your will get some sound but no performance increase with a catback exhaust. A tune is worth much more, and from the guys with the XSports I know, it's a night and day difference. I'd probably drag it at the local strip at lease once just for grins.

I'm looking at CAI+tune+3bar map+tstat. Should wake it up nicely without breaking the bank or introducing any highway drone.

It's hard to make v6s and i4s sound good. If you want nice sound, buy a Mustang GT.

I am the one that does not understand. You asked me if I had a CAI and any drone at 65-75 mph..... I answered YOUR questions.
No CAI and no Drone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back