Tuning Solution ford 91-94 4.0 OHV thanks to Paul Booth of EEC Editor Wideband instal | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tuning Solution ford 91-94 4.0 OHV thanks to Paul Booth of EEC Editor Wideband instal

Hey guys I'm back and I have some of your answers since I did all of this on my SOHC conversion for a first gen ranger.

I am extremely busy with school right now but I will give you guys some of the answers I have documented in my huge range information binder. Keep in mind I have been enjoying my truck not working on it much lately so I am a little fuzzy on some of the facts.

Going in order.

So whats the difference is a 90-93 explorer and a 93-94 ranger besides one has two O2s??? Can I just add a second O2 to my explorer and it work or do the 93-94 use a different computer?

But interesting I thought my 94 has sefi?? I need to point this out to my tuner..I certainly dont want feul sitting around..last thing I need is it to ignite or detonate.....

Aslo going through this trouble of swapping ecm and harness, would it not be easier to do a 95 ecm swap and get obd2??

Well the main thing here is rangers did not get SEFI until 95? unless it was a California emissions truck.
Explorers got SEFI in 94? But I thought some 94' models didnt have SEFI or maybe that was 93' there was a mid year change or something. Either way to find out look for a cam sensor and individually wired injectors(ground side).

No you can't just add a second o2 sensor and ecu to get SEFI
You will also need to change a bunch of the pins (I could prob photocopy some of the documents I made to keep the info separated).

Also you would need to rewire a bunch of stuff if you had batch fire.

If you are going threw a tuner it might be easier to go to obd2. But I doubt it seems like a lot of hassle but I haven't looked into that for a while. I thought you would have to change a bunch of inside wiring and a few other things.
The ecu and harness swap is pretty much plug and play if you find the right one. Or just make one like I did.

J said:
Cam shaft sensor appears to go to 24 and egr to 33...also the O2s both go to different pins.the shorting bar also needs to go to pin 29 not 44 any longer..sure if I look even closer I may find more.

You are correct I have the Cam sensor and EGR labeled backwards. Yes the o2s go to different pins thats how the ECU reads them. (they are a pain to wire) yes move the shortening bar.
Also look at ;15:19,59:X,58:X,31:11,14:50,44:29,29:44,60:60,40:40.

You need to double check this but for 1994 EX. Injector pin numbers are as follows:

#1-58
#2-59
#3-39
#4-35
#5-15
#6-12

(that took forever and a lot of digging to find)

As for your side not. If you are talking about pre 94 rangers you can still use the passenger side ECU. because its in the same spot. If you are talking about the big round connector you do not need that, thats just for instruments and body crap.

Hey guys I'm back and I have some of your answers since I did all of this on my SOHC conversion for a first gen ranger.

I am extremely busy with school right now but I will give you guys some of the answers I have documented in my huge range information binder. Keep in mind I have been enjoying my truck not working on it much lately so I am a little fuzzy on some of the facts.

Going in order.

Well the main thing here is rangers did not get SEFI until 95? unless it was a California emissions truck.
Explorers got SEFI in 94? But I thought some 94' models didnt have SEFI or maybe that was 93' there was a mid year change or something. Either way to find out look for a cam sensor and individually wired injectors(ground side).

No you can't just add a second o2 sensor and ecu to get SEFI
You will also need to change a bunch of the pins (I could prob photocopy some of the documents I made to keep the info separated).

Also you would need to rewire a bunch of stuff if you had batch fire.

If you are going threw a tuner it might be easier to go to obd2. But I doubt it seems like a lot of hassle but I haven't looked into that for a while. I thought you would have to change a bunch of inside wiring and a few other things.
The ecu and harness swap is pretty much plug and play if you find the right one. Or just make one like I did.

You are correct I have the Cam sensor and EGR labeled backwards. Yes the o2s go to different pins thats how the ECU reads them. (they are a pain to wire) yes move the shortening bar.
Also look at ;15:19,59:X,58:X,31:11,14:50,44:29,29:44,60:60,40:40.

You need to double check this but for 1994 EX. Injector pin numbers are as follows:

#1-58
#2-59
#3-39
#4-35
#5-15
#6-12

(that took forever and a lot of digging to find)

As for your side not. If you are talking about pre 94 rangers you can still use the passenger side ECU. because its in the same spot. If you are talking about the big round connector you do not need that, thats just for instruments and body crap.

I have a 94 and the ecm is on the driverside. .but like I said I started a new thread sense this thread is about tuning solutions and not SEFI...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3343384#post3343384

I seemed to get good gas on freeway with 60 ish pedal that is not letting it work to hard even flat running its more than the estimated gas milage later I saw a video of two chaps conferring about heavy gains in gas milage freaky about the exp with on freeway like double ( roswell )

im dealing with wires so those schematic are cool …. individualized injectors how else you going to retard or add individually ?? yea I can imagine the old timing window from distribution he ha really there is nothing i can do can i find someone who wants to mill me a manifold or machine some aftermarket ones with a holly or a webber ?? there not talking too much super charger here ? it was super for the v8's and turbo for the v6's there breaking tradition

Back