Tuning Subs, Need some "how to" answers. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tuning Subs, Need some "how to" answers.

BBQ_HotDogs

A Man Without Wheels
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer (R.I.P.)
As some of you may know, I have installed some stereo equipment in my Explorer. Now I don't like the way the subs sound and all that is wrong, is that it needs to be tuned. But I have never done this before.

What we are tuning are 2 Alpine 500 amps and 2 Boston ProSeries 12.5 subs. Do I just follow the directions on the amps as listed by Alpine with the settings? Or do I need a professional to tune them?

I set all the settings as the instructions said in the manual and it sounds worse than before, but I don't remember what the other settings were.

Here is a picture of the set-up.

2151210-5Elite8.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dont know how to tune subs... but that install looks awesome! :)

Thanks for the compliment. Here are the other 2 amps. They are right behind the rear seat and in front of the amp rack. They sound good, but need a little tweaking too.

2151210-5Elite15.jpg

By tuning, you mean the onboard eq's, x-overs and your head unit settings right? I dont think you ever NEED a professional....

What are your full range speakers playing at? (highpass hz?) Are the subs levels too high, or do they just sound bad.. I'm kinda off as to what your problem is...
Off the top of my head try...
-placing the bass boost on amps/head unit at 0
-placing the lowpass x-over for the subs at about 80-100
then go from there...

Not the EQ settings on the HU, but the actual settings on the amps. They are digital and have many settings and I have no clue as to how to set them, except by the manual which is what I did. It only messed up the sound and made it sound distorted. I put the gain where it should be, then the rest was like reading a foreign language. I have no clue as should filters be set on/off and what db should be set at for each level.

jimabena74 said:
i dont know how to tune subs... but that install looks awesome! :)
Yep :thumbsup:

Ron
with that awsome setup, CAN YOU EVEN STILL HEAR ANYTHING, that may be the problem:)

spindlecone said:
Ron
with that awsome setup, CAN YOU EVEN STILL HEAR ANYTHING, that may be the problem:)
LOL, that's funny. I built this particular set-up for a nice quality sound and not just a lot of loud banging. I want each note rather it be the highest of highs or the lowest of lows to be crisp and clear. That is what I have. But the bass tries to give sort of a distorted sound which should be corrected by adjusting the levels and "tuning" the amps. It will get loud though, but that is not where I listen to it at. I like the levels where you still know what is going on outside and it's nice and clean.

Good luck Ron
Thx to Mr. Browning and his fabulous 50, I can't hear sh$t:)

1 thing I am thinking about doing is getting rid of my current Alpine 7998 HU and getting the Alpine 9835 and selling the EQ and then installing my DVD player in the dash in place of the EQ.

the xover should be put at low-pass (look for somethin like that on the amp), the bass boost should be about a quarter of the way up and you can fiddle with the gain until it is the way you like it. Turn on the music and then play with the controls and the amps. Eventually youll learn what each option does.

you are going to hate this but I have found that subs in my explorer sound best when they are at the rear of the cargo area. I disovered this buy taking a test box with the speaker and internal volume of the finished box and moved it around. they sound best at the very rear firing up. sorry.

are your doors running off amps too?

tweakedlogic is right, I found that when I first started bumping. I experimented with a couple 8"s and they were ported. They sounded even better when I layed the box where the ports faced the liftgate and had the subs faced towards up.

2 12" ported, box on the back of the seat in the cargo area, ports towards liftgate, thats the best sound from my 1st gen.

I have absolutely no idea with digital amps. Im used to pots :)

Did you try alpine support? They are pretty good you know..

Makahveli said:
are your doors running off amps too?
Yes, those amps are in the 2nd picture. 2 Alpine 540's for doors and 2 Alpine 500's for the subs. The subs are allot stronger than the doors. I actually have the gain turned down to around the halfway mark and they are still extremely loud. I guess I should call Alpine on this cause I have no idea about the filters and stuff. Which ones should be on and which ones should be turned off. But they bump....

wow isn't that too much power for the doors? I just use a 4channel amp from eclipse, its like 500W for my boston acoustics setup

What filters do your amps have? The sub amp(s) should have the crossover switch at lowpass. The amps controlling your door speaks should be at highpass. I'm guessing you can also tune the frequency. My amp's getting repaired (STILL) so I can't tell you what mine's set at. Maybe adjust the frequency until you get the low sounds you like.

OK, let me write it out, I'll give the setting, choices, and what the manual says to set it at.

Input Mode - 1ch/2ch first amp is 2ch and 2nd amp is 1ch
Input Level - 0.5 - 8.5V (0 dB - -24 dB) both amps set at -24 dB
Low Pass Filter - ON/OFF Both amps set on
LPF Frequency - 30 - 200Hz Both amps set at 200Hz
Subsonic Filter - ON/OFF Both amps set at on
SF Frequency - 15Hz - 50Hz Both amps set at 50Hz
Parametric EQ - ON/OFF Both amps set at on
P EQ Frequency - 30 - 160Hz Both amps set at 34Hz
Parametric EQ Width - 0.5/1/2/3/4/5 Both amps set at 0.5
P EQ Level - +/- 12db Both amps set at -12db
Bass Compensation - ON/OFF Both amps set at on
Time Correction - ON/OFF Both amps set at on
Time Correction Delay - 0-10ms Both amps set at 9.9ms
Phase - 0-180 Both amps set at 0
Amp ID - 1 - 8 first amp set at 3 and 2nd amp set at 4
Turn on Delay Settings - Both amps set at 0.2 Don't know the other settings
Safe Mode - ON/OFF Both amps set at off
Memory - Yes/No Both amps set at yes

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, all of those settings or most of them are set at levels that the manual say to set them at. So they may be right or wrong, I don't know. Some are obvious choices, some are not.

Back