Turbo 4 Conversion, The Nasty Hoe Gets Blown! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turbo 4 Conversion, The Nasty Hoe Gets Blown!

That's right, I couldn't keep it under wraps any longer, and so the first stage of the conversion and re-vamp of the whole truck begins.

In short, which I'll go into detail once I get back to labratory this evening is:

Complete front clip transformataion in sheet metal work, including custom fenders and hood, front bumper w/winch and lights.

Slick roof line.

Complete drivetrain conversion (from engine, tranny to transfer case) and custom wiring harness.

Super soft 6.5" Rock Crawler front spring and hiem joints on the adjustable extended radius arms.

With 5.13's front a rear with already existing Lincoln Locker out back and LSD clutch style modified in the front.

Although there are about 80% of the parts already collected, there are still a few more to obtain and or fabricate up to make this happen, I will go through and document and keep you filled in on ever aspect of this adventure as I plug away at it, this will take some time, and the buget is nill, but when I get back and fill you in on how I got some of the existing stuff, and how I plan on working the rest of it, you'll see than anyone on any buget can do this to.

I hope you all will enjoy this, and although this was way more premature of a posting that I wanted to do, it was like waiting for Santa to show on X-Mas.

If you don't know what's already been done to my truck you can click the link "My Junk" below in my sig, and this will be the next exciting phase in it's evolution.

If you have questions, lemme be the first to say, "PLASE ASK"

Jeff - :navajo:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I leave you alone for 1 day and you get this bored? :p:

Bored???!!!! :rolleyes:

Oh please! I have actually be contemplating this for a while, really the Cummins 4BT was the initial plan, but this was something that was easier on my pocket book, and something that I could barter/work my way towards, as for trying to out source at Cummins, yeah that would have been uber cool, but way outta my bartering range I think, but hey revision # 3 could always happen down the road, but lets not concentrate on that, lets get on with the 4 popper gas motor for this project.

So as yo could tell from my previous thread I had found an 88" T-Bird Turbo Coupe in an old school junk yard and worked my magic to pay for the $300 car for basically nothing, yes nothing, pre-sold the body and some other of my car parts/labor to fund the doner car here:

l_230570c49692960e0f6ea87d5b2dd09d.png

l_eec99781cb44a7c422dc5aff712c4fd0.png

l_de6ab96189a08eb89f7b31220c47bdae.png

So I loaded it up back in December and took it to a friends shop and stored it there till I had the chance to bring it home for the drivetrainand wiring removal.

T_coupe.png

OUT.png

clean.png

After pulling the drivetrain out of the car, I found the reason that they stopped driving it was that turbo took a ****, as the compressor wheel had bent edges from the bearing wobbling.

No biggie, the (Borg) Warner IHI turbo is a highly unwanted turbo for most people in these applications, not so here this IS the turbo I want, and with that these turbos are found to be very cheap when going to buy one used, as is the case here (waiting on a reply as I type this).

The engine turns freely, as I never did start this motor, but in past cases, there really isn't a lot that goes wrong with them, and due to the fact the original starter was on it, and all the other accy's are original, the interior was in great shape, and this was a one owner car, it's pretty good the motor is fine.

92k.png

Ok if some of have gone back and touched base with teh current config of my rig, you will know that is was an auto, and was converted to a 5spd stick, yuppers, that new motor and tranny I put in there years ago, that prolly have 2000 miles on them are comming right back out, and yes this is getting converted back to an automatic truck.

A modified A4LD for a 2.3 to 4WD, I have traded an old A4LD case to a tranny guy who will take another 4.0 A4LD 4WD case and swap the output shaft and tail housing for me, and while he's in there check it over and make sure it's all ok inside, re-seal it and bam done, this way I can also run my manual transfer case and get rid of my hopptie auto transfer case converted to ghetto manual.

Of course they'll be also a lot of cleaning and checking as this conversion takes place, and not only do we want it to work, but we'll try to clean up the cluttered look of the Navajo/Explorer engine compartment, with all that jumbled wiring and vacuum hoses and whatnot.

A/C will not be the forefront, but it's in consideration, and I have kept all the T-Coupe couplings to make my own A/C high and low pressure hoses, so it can be done, yes both systems are orfice tube designs and can be modded to work, in therory of course, we'll takle that further down the road.

I have also accurired a set of Ranger 2.3 motor mounts to bolt to the block as the car mounts are completely wrong, how much? Free I just asked for them off a core motor I noticed sitting at this guys shop I visited.

Never know what you'll get till you ask ;)

I also have to replace all the automatic shift linkage that I canned when I converted it to 5spd, luckily I have a friend also dismantling a 4dr Explorer ans is not in need of the pedal assy, linkage and **** lever that I will need, how much? Free I thnk, not to say I will offer my tech seevice if he needs it for his project, and the rear wheel wells are also something I need out of his truck, so I can do mini tubs on mine, damn I for got to mention that in my first post, per when I stuff tire, during flex, it rubs horribly in the back on the inside of the wheel house, so I'm going to graft another set of wheel houses to do a psudeo tub in the rear to give a bit of extra clearance.

Had to let the cat out of the bag now didnt ya... But it sure was fun finding that car sitting there in that yard...

In short, which I'll go into detail once I get back to labratory this evening is:

Complete front clip transformataion in sheet metal work, including custom fenders and hood, front bumper w/winch and lights.

Slick roof line.

With the need for more clearance for my metric 35-12.5's tires and the desire for a stock look on my Navajo, Kris Guilbeaux chose to make some fenders for me. since I have fenders just sitting around why not.

First Kris cut out the Fender saving the part he cut off as he'll will be reusing the lip.

Picture_363.jpg

After removing an inch and a half of metal he welded the natural curve back on the fender

Picture_366.jpg

Ground the welds down and used a little fiberglass filler.

Picture_369.jpg

Then sanded, primed and painted.

Picture_372.jpg

Picture_373.jpg

Picture_374.jpg

More clearance with a stock look.

His next project will be to graft the Turbo Coupe Scoops and intercooler duct work into a stock Navajo/Explorer hood with a twist :eek:

T_hood.jpg

T_hood_2.jpg

Because this truck won't see speeds to actually make the intercooler duct work function properly, I will install and moderate size electric fan which I already have on top of the intercooler to pull cool air in from the scoops and push it over the intercooler making the intake charge more dense, allowing for the 18psi of boost, without detonation, and more agressive spark timing, with a N/A 2.3 TFI modual.

And of course the bumper, which too will need a fairlead mount, light tabs welded on, and some brackets fabbed to adapt it to the frame rails:

bumper.jpg

Then we have to tackle the wiring, since I want a very clean and non-congested engine compartment, I'm opting to not get too carried awy with this part till I can set the engine in the frame rails, so I can properly mesure and cut to length the harness how I would like, thus keep a clean but funtional look to the engine bay.

Plus I have to graft this into the Navajo wiring also for the guages, starting system, and fuel pump controls, mounting of the PCM is also a concern, placment will prolly not be the stock location, also the plastic inner fender wells, or what's left of them will be removed and not put back in, seeing as though Texas has passed the "Section 401" law about not being able to wheel in navagable water ways looks like the Submarine Captian has been beached!

noodles.jpg

Very cool Jeff. I knew I was right. You have been talking about this for years.

I need to come and visit you soon.

Monday is ramping up to be a big day, as the drivetrain will be completely removed along with all the acco. 5spd parts, and sheet metal, along with the font bumper, possibly wiring too pending on time.

Very cool Jeff. I knew I was right. You have been talking about this for years.

I need to come and visit you soon.

You were correct I wasn't ready to confirm it when you posted it, I was still waiting for a few things before I let the cat outta the bag.

Man I'm itchin to see this thing run!

Well in my true supportive fashion, I took Monday off from work and I'll take pics and post them up as the Nasty Hoe starts her transformation.

I promise I wont bleed too much this time while Helping Dr. SVO... :eek:

Well in my true supportive fashion, I took Monday off from work and I'll take pics and post them up as the Nasty Hoe starts her transformation.

I promise I wont bleed too much this time while Helping Dr. SVO... :eek:

HAHAHA I'll try not to cut you with the sawzall again :p:

BTW Jalisco's Breakfast Tacos w/hot sauce again???

Monday and tuesday are gonna be long days, and I already moved the Navajo to the driveway, Kris.

The weather was looking questionable, and I didn't want to take a chance on it raining, and having to "MUD" it out of the back yard, and deal with crap falling on us.

I'll get kiddo to wash it this weekend, and try and strip the rack off the roof too.

Sounds good I will Try and be there at 10:30 ish.. I promised a customer I would meat them in Hallestville on the way at 8:00am so I will try and make that fast LOL..

HAHAHA I'll try not to cut you with the sawzall again :p:

BTW Jalisco's Breakfast Tacos w/hot sauce again???

Monday and tuesday are gonna be long days, and I already moved the Navajo to the driveway, Kris.

The weather was looking questionable, and I didn't want to take a chance on it raining, and having to "MUD" it out of the back yard, and deal with crap falling on us.

I'll get kiddo to wash it this weekend, and try and strip the rack off the roof too.

Winch Cable, please!

Jeff - :navajo:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back