Turbo issues? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turbo issues?

The two people that I have taken on a ride seem to agree with me when we are in the vehicle, but back off that after they plug the computer up to it. It's absolutely puzzling to me too. It's like the vehicle has no top end power at all. I don't have any confidence that I can pass anyone on the road, and for the first 7000 miles, that was one of my favorite things to do...lol. I swear I use to see how quickly I could get around someone driving slow on hwy 58 leaving Emerald Isle...now I don't feel like it would even pass them if they decided to speed up. I am confident that something isn't right. I am about ready to connect with one of the "programmers" to see if they would be willing to put this vehicle on the dyno to see if it compares to others.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The service manager could feel that the other day when he rode with me....he is certain that it's a drivetrain issue. I think it's a driveshaft. They claimed on the ticket that they tested it with a vibration meter and it was "within spec" but I've now driven 3 vehicles as loaners since they originally got the vehicle, and none of them felt like this.

I think its transmission. My dealer suggested it might be rear end after changing out rear driveshaft with no change. Now they're saying it's normal on all ST. Reported at 2k Miles. Omg. Total BS.

honestly.....both of these issues could be the transmission.

I think its transmission. My dealer suggested it might be rear end after changing out rear driveshaft with no change. Now they're saying it's normal on all ST. Reported at 2k Miles. Omg. Total BS.

Have you tried a different dealer. BTW most service managers have no idea what they are talking about. I am surprised they even know how to start a car.

Time to pull the plug on this one...man that sucks!!! This is totally not acceptable...I can’t even begin to phantom the amount of time you are wasting on this vehicle!

agreed...I've started a case with Ford. The vehicle has been in the shop for almost 40 days now, which is way above the NC lemon law requirement. I think I'm just going to have them buy it back and then take my time on another purchase. I know one vehicle I won't consider....they have me in an Ecosport loaner....good grief, this thing may be the most unimpressive Ford I have ever driven. 3 cylinder, no power, 23ish mpg around town, and tiny.....how is that even possible.

So...Here's where we are. The dealership has had the vehicle for about a month now. They are also dealing with the climate control issue and a vibration. I've had 2 people at the dealership ride with me and I can show them over and over that something seems odd about the way this thing runs now. They have tested the turbo's and they say they are producing the correct boost, and its not throwing any codes.....so we are stuck. Here's something I can do over and over....Running down the road about 45-50mph, I can press the gas pedal to the floor and it literally does nothing. I keep telling them that I use to do that and it would scream as I passed cars on a long straight stretch of highway between my house and the beach, but now it doesn't feel like it has enough power to even attempt to pass a car. They don't know what else to do.....I have started a case with Ford. I may just give up on this one, although I think I would prefer another one. I really like this vehicle.

After reading all your post about how you Hammer the s*** out of your vehicle between your house and the beach to see how fast you can pass cars for the first seven thousand miles it sounds like you may have damaged the engine. You seem to be the only one with the Turbo issues. I hope you're not telling the mechanic or service manager how fast your vehicle flies around other ones when you stomp on it and now you have no power like you used to you could have a hard time with your lemon law or buy back.

Good luck on your lemon law and or buy back progress

Here's the deal....I'm 56 years old. I don't drive it like a 16 yo. I drive it a little hard, but this vehicle certainly should take what I've given it. If I have damaged the engine with my driving style, it may be the first, but it won't be the last. It also would never hold up to a tune if that's the case, so this post may serve as a warning. Now...The Turbos' on the super duty that crapped out, the first one was at 275,000 miles, and common on those trucks with that mileage, and the next 2 were on rebuilds that me and my brother tried on that first one....it's POSSIBLE that I ran out of talent before I was able to rebuild a turbo.....but it sure did teach me what it felt like when a turbo dies on you. The engine still runs, it's just got no power. That's what this one feels like, not all the time, but mostly at 45-55mph no power. Once in a while, I'll pull out of the neighborhood and get on it, and it won't go, but always at highway speed when I need it to go, it won't go.

Sounds like a transmission issue. It's either not downshifting properly or something else. When you punch the throttle wide open, does it downshift allowing your engine to run at high RPMs? Or does it just bog in the same gear?

If the Explorer ST cannot handle the OP's driving schedule, then it is not worthy of ST badging. It's supposed to be able to handle road course hot laps and EVOC training. I do believe the 10R60 might be the transmission used on the ST, with the 10R80 variant used on the Aviator hybrid. So it could be a case of a bad 10R60, which is not unheard of. There are plenty of complaints about the transmission taking a dump on the 2020s, with a lot of them leaking out (looking like a murder scene) at the factory floor or at Flat Rock.

I'm told there was a TSB released this morning that sounds like it may address your issue. Suggest talk to dealer right way.

Yeah with 400HP and how it is designed for possible use this is unacceptable for sure of little to zero power and at 45/55mph and nailing it should take off like a rocket vs. a Prius.

Now that's interesting. Do you happen to know the TSB number?

After reading all your post about how you Hammer the s*** out of your vehicle between your house and the beach to see how fast you can pass cars for the first seven thousand miles it sounds like you may have damaged the engine. You seem to be the only one with the Turbo issues. I hope you're not telling the mechanic or service manager how fast your vehicle flies around other ones when you stomp on it and now you have no power like you used to you could have a hard time with your lemon law or buy back.

Good luck on your lemon law and or buy back progress

My moto is break it in like how you intend to drive it. WOT passes on the highway shouldn't damage a new vehicle. If it does it is because it has a weak component and IMO it would be better for that thing to let go early than prolong its life so it breaks after warranty. He could just have gotten a bad turbo, it happens.

My question though is have they driven it and data logged it. That is how they found my turbo issue on my SHO that was also at the top end 4500+ RPM at WOT. They could then see boost oscillations. It could also be a bad blow off valve that is leaking boost at high pressures or the actuators or it could even be the TB sensor not allowing you to go full WOT.

honestly.....both of these issues could be the transmission.
@NCcarguy

I can understand the lack of power issue being unrelated to transmission: what the hell could it be, slipping, but not "detectable"? So, power production failure, by whatever cause. But vibration? From transmission? Not without something busted, real bad rotating assembly, etc. OR driveline.

Hoping you succeed in weeding it out. imp

@NCcarguy

I can understand the lack of power issue being unrelated to transmission: what the hell could it be, slipping, but not "detectable"? So, power production failure, by whatever cause. But vibration? From transmission? Not without something busted, real bad rotating assembly, etc. OR driveline.

Hoping you succeed in weeding it out. imp

Ling shot but maybe the bearings in the turbo are shot leading to lost boost and power. Then that is causing the exhaust system to vibrate and you are feeling the mufflers shake since they are big and in the rear. That could be both issues caused by the same problem.

That is pretty bizarre to have a lack of power without any type of fault code or obvious mechanical issue. Does your dealership agree that the vehicle is lacking power? Have they asked Ford for assistance?
The service manager rode with me and thought the transmission wasn't shifting down when I would stomp on it.....It definitely is not. I still believe it's a turbo. They've had the vehicle for the better part of 2 months now. I'm waiting on a call from Customer service about a buyback.

Now that's interesting. Do you happen to know the TSB number?

TSB 20-2035, but it was the 2.3L only. Maybe no help to the OP. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back