Turbo issues? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turbo issues?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Turbos won't kick in and transmission won't downshift if the engine suffers from fuel starvation. Have they explored that possibility?

Peter

Turbos won't kick in and transmission won't downshift if the engine suffers from fuel starvation. Have they explored that possibility?

Peter

They only know that there's no codes associated with it, so they can't fix it. Whenever they ride with me, they recognize that something just doesn't seem right, but then they call can tell me they can't find anything wrong.

They only know that there's no codes associated with it, so they can't fix it. Whenever they ride with me, they recognize that something just doesn't seem right, but then they call can tell me they can't find anything wrong.

That is a crock. They can data log it. Meaning record all parameters like boost, transmission signals, throttle positioning, etc while actively driving it. Then analyze it to see if things are right. If they are just doing a basic scan for code trips that is garbage. Say your sensor on your gas pedal is messing up and sending the wrong signal the the ECU and Throttle Body it wouldn't necessarily through a code because how would the ECU know you are pushing the gas pedal to the floor but the signal only says 45%.

I say this because that could explain why you get no power or a downshift. If the car doesn't know you have your hammer down then it doesn't know to open your throttle body to let that sweat boost in or to downshift.

This is data they should be able to log and look at.

The service manager rode with me and thought the transmission wasn't shifting down when I would stomp on it.....It definitely is not. I still believe it's a turbo. They've had the vehicle for the better part of 2 months now. I'm waiting on a call from Customer service about a buyback.

Well is it downshifting or not? If it is not downshifting, then it may not be the turbo. The Borg Warners aren't exactly brand new. They've been using them for years on the 2.7/3.0 EcoBoost

Can you manually downshift using the paddles? Try that and see if it works.

That is a crock. They can data log it. Meaning record all parameters like boost, transmission signals, throttle positioning, etc while actively driving it. Then analyze it to see if things are right. If they are just doing a basic scan for code trips that is garbage. Say your sensor on your gas pedal is messing up and sending the wrong signal the the ECU and Throttle Body it wouldn't necessarily through a code because how would the ECU know you are pushing the gas pedal to the floor but the signal only says 45%.

I say this because that could explain why you get no power or a downshift. If the car doesn't know you have your hammer down then it doesn't know to open your throttle body to let that sweat boost in or to downshift.

That's an interesting thought......I may suggest that if I ever hear from them again. lol

I agree...I think they've been doing a quick code check and just telling me nothing is wrong. I know that something is wrong......

Well is it downshifting or not? If it is not downshifting, then it may not be the turbo. The Borg Warners aren't exactly brand new. They've been using them for years on the 2.7/3.0 EcoBoost

Can you manually downshift using the paddles? Try that and see if it works.

It's not....it doesn't always take off from a start, but it almost ALWAYS lags when I get on it trying to pass, and doesn't feel like it has any power. Let's put it this way, it feels like if I started to pass someone, and they decide they don't want me to pass them, then there's no way this thing would win that race, regardless of the competition. That kinda explains it best.

Good thing that's not how it works anyways.

Just got a call from Ford Customer Service....they're just going to buy this one back. In some ways I hate we didn't get to the bottom of this. Hopefully I was a one off issue. Thanks for all the help though, not sure where I'm going from here. Maybe an expedition??

I'm fascinated how many on the forums have had a buy back. I mean, these vehicles are just a machine. Anything can be fixed if they were willing to research the problem. I guess it's just quicker and easier to get rid of the squeaky wheel (customer) than to fix the problem.

I'm fascinated how many on the forums have had a buy back. I mean, these vehicles are just a machine. Anything can be fixed if they were willing to research the problem. I guess it's just quicker and easier to get rid of the squeaky wheel (customer) than to fix the problem.
I'm kinda with you on this one, but the lemon laws MAY be the deciding factor. In NC they have 3 or 4 attempts, OR 20 business days in the shop. In my case, I've been without it since the beginning of December. I would guess they know they've passed that limit by a long shot, and I have strange issues, so why keep eating up time with staff at the local dealership. I really am struggling with what to replace that vehicle with. I don't have any desire to drive a standard family truckster, and there's not really anything that compares to this....we shall see.

Not really true. It isnt Ford initiating them, everyone here has initiated it.. even prior to meeting the requirements. Ford has to follow the LL so if the customer initiates it, it will be approved once the requirements have been met.

Most here are doing it because of the driveline thud. I'm starting my paper trail tomorrow with the dealer but I am willing to give Ford time. Although it has zero impact on the vehicle, I dont want to listen to it for the next 8 years (just like the wiper smear). The longer you wait to report it, the more they can charge you for mileage fees. However, I still feel people are totally jumping the gun on it.

Back