Turbo Mounty is down | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turbo Mounty is down

Had to have it towed last week. Seems like the fuel pump decided to stop working. I have power into and out of the inertia switch, so everything is good up to that point. Of coarse I had just filled the tank the morning this happened!

I'll eventually get the tank emptied and dropped when it gets a bit warmer out. It's up on the jack stands now and I'm slowly working on it.

I'm going to do a twin 255 lph setup in it this time. The single 310 lph I put in was probably borderline anyway.

I have a set of 60# injectors waiting to go in too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bummer. I guess it was thirsty and did this to show you who's boss.:dunno:

Sorry to hear, but hopefully you'll get her fixed and sucking like a pro now! ................Wait, that sounded kinda dirty:D

Good luck!!!

Sorry to hear, but hopefully you'll get her fixed and sucking like a pro now! ................Wait, that sounded kinda dirty:D

Good luck!!!

Sorry, Limited, I couldn't resist but add that to my sig.

Get crackin on that fuel pump, the roads are waiting for you to conquer them.

Sorry, Limited, I couldn't resist but add that to my sig.

Get crackin on that fuel pump, the roads are waiting for you to conquer them.

:D I'm only funny about 3 times a year, this is number 2. :(

Got most of the parts for the the fuel setup.

100_0222.jpg

100_0223.jpg

100_0224.jpg

fp3.jpg

The parts look good. I'm also hoping to need more than a 255 pump for mine.

Is that a returnless system or did you convert it? I had thought of running two 255's in the tank, with a WOT switch to activate one of them. Only one is needed for normal driving, I'd hate to run two continuously normally.

It looks like you have plenty of room there for the pumps. Are those pushlock connections, or just similar in design? Where did they come from, Jeg's?

Trying for an 11 something.

I'm converting to return style. The blue ones are just -6 AN bulkhead fittings. The brass ones are -6 AN to barb fitting. The rest of the system will be all pushlock fittings.

Isn't it amazing how much all the little fittings cost? They add up quick...

Some more progress. I should be able to get the fuel rails and injectors in tomorrow.

100_0229.jpg

100_0230.jpg

100_0232.jpg

100_0231.jpg

Nice work. Where is that fuel line from, and is it for use with pushloc fittings?

It's been running for about a week now. Here are some more pics.

100_0234.jpg

100_0235.jpg

100_0237.jpg

100_0240.jpg

100_0241.jpg

So how does it run? Feeling like an 11 sec pass? Why can't I live in PA, seems like everyone that lives in PA is doing something nuts with their expolorer/mounty? Looking forward to the update vids and dyno run!!!

It was running for a couple weeks, but I destroyed something in the transmission again. I lost 3rd gear this time.

I drove it out to OH and had dirty dog rebuild it again last week. It looks like this trans is never going to hold up. Trying to find an alternative to the 5r55 that I can also keep the AWD.

It ran fine on the way home, but 570 miles each way was a long ride! It did get about 17.5 mpg though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you considering doing the 4R70W like Robert(KBX) did? I think his is still fine, but he planned to do that a long time ago. I'd love to have the five speed also, but it doesn't seem to be up to the big power right now.

Back