Turbo on 2000 Limited 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turbo on 2000 Limited 5.0

Turbo compressor map.gif
Well guys, I don't even have it yet and I'm looking at going turbo.

I think I'll be going STS style with the turbo underneath the the body. I'm hoping I can find room somewhere closer to the front to mount it. If not, I may just go classic style and cut the muffler out and install the turbo in its place.

Tim was kind enough to point me at a turbo for sale locally. I'm checking it out now. I sent the specs to James Henson to see what his thoughts are.

Here's the specs:
t4 F1-68 turbine .68 a/r housing 3" exhaust outlet with a 72mm compressor blade 4inch inlet, 2.5 inch outlet, journal bearing. Also, see compressor map attached. I have a vague understanding, and that concerns me.

Now, the next issue is oil routing.
Oil in to the turbo would be handled from a T off the oil pressure sending unit on the block. Return oil would need a scavenge pump to the top of the oil pan, or in the timing chain cover. The scavenge pump adds quite a bit of cost to the setup. I think saving a few bucks in this area would spell disaster. So, this seems to be the best pump out there:
http://turbowerx.com/Scavenge_Pumps/Exa-Pump/Exa-Pump.html
Stainless steel oil lines will have to be used. As I read about under cab mounted turbo's oil issues seem to be a huge issue. This is going to require careful thought and routing.

My real issue is routing the air filter and compressed air up to the engine bay.
The frame rails will be the the way. I saw one guy notched out his frame for the plumbing and re-enforced the frame by welding metal around the plumbing line (3 inch or 4 inch hole). I'm concerned about running the two pipes and think this will be the biggest challenge. I really don't want that air filter under the truck.
See what this guy did on his ranger?

As for Maf? Pro-M all the way, in a blow thru design.

Fuel pump, injectors, sct go without saying. I'll be having James put together a care package for me along with the Pro-M.
Aeromotive Stealth 340 pump
Bosch uscar (EV6) 60lb injectors part # 108191

I'll recycle my boost gauge and wide band o2 from my supercharged 4.0 ohv.

I'll be using stainless steel for everything under the truck as rust always seems to be an issue.

Also. intercooling. I learned from my last project that cool intake air is incredibly important. People say on under cabin turbo's you don't really need it as the compressed air cools on the way up. Not good enough for me. Im going to go air/water so I have flexibility as to where I mount the intercooler. This could change, but intercooling of some form is a must.

My eye's are watering at what this is going to cost.

I see 02Limited turbo'd his, but he must have had quite a few issues and fell off the forum.

Not much info on guys completing something like this to be found. All input appreciated.

This will be a long process.

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found Justin146's thread on his 2000 STS turbo setup
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169060

Willzilla has info on his conversion to make that truck back to N/A. I just need to avoid the pit falls that happened with age.
It looks like oil backup, and rust were the issues. I'm hoping Justin146 and WillZilla will give me some input. They both will have extensive knowledge on this.

It looks like Justin did a great job on his install from the pics. So, I'm wondering if Justin were to do it again, what would he do differently?

Tim was kind enough to point me at a turbo for sale locally.

HAAAAAAAAAHAA!

translation - tim is a asshat. he gave me a link to someone selling a turbo locally, and i had to check it out. because of tim and his bad influences, one day i will wind up sleeping on the couch, or divorced.

HAAAAAAAAAHAA!

translation - tim is a asshat. he gave me a link to someone selling a turbo locally, and i had to check it out. because of tim and his bad influences, one day i will wind up sleeping on the couch, or divorced.

Yup, that translation is perfect Tim.

Before long there will be a Supercharged 2000 Ford Explorer, and a turbo 2000 Ford Explorer in the family. I sure hope I don't end up sleeping I one of them. :D

Well, James says that Turbo is a perfect application for my mid/remote mount turbo.

I'm headed to Chicago tomorrow to pick up my new ride. I think I have everything in order to get across the border.
Hopefully I can find the money to pick up that Turbo before its gone.

I'm thinking of going Air/Water inter-cooling with this:
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/prod...d=219&osCsid=13968fb4c53823da497c2938ad778350

I'm hoping it can hug up along the side of a frame rail under the truck. This way, It would be a straight path from the turbo right thru the inter-cooler up to the front of the truck. Very little pressure drop thru thr intercooler, giving max efficiency. A nice straight line with few connections will ensure I remain leak free.

The pipe run from the turbo up to the maf will be 2"(expanding to 3.5" at the MAF). This will keep velocity of the intake charge up, and reduce turbo lag. I need to find long enough runs of 2" aluminum piping that isn't too expensive to ship. Strength concerns me a bit being under the truck also. A bit heavier gauge might be a good idea.

Less connections are better. I was going to have the connections welded, but it is difficult to get great welds (leak free) on light aluminum so I will be using silicone couplers.

fyi don, he has had that turbo for sale for a while now. he was selling a whole wack of mustang parts in the spring, this was one of them. i think he is having a hard(er) time selling it, then the other stuff he had.

He has a waste tial waste gate and some other stuff still. I'm betting he' s having issues selling it all.
We will see what can be done on pricing. Pretty specialty stuff, so it can't be easy to sell.

Im back with my new Limited. Awesome driving it.

Things I noticed:
1. The V8 sounds and feels great.
2. My supercharged V6ohv gets better gas mileage
3. My supercharged V6 feels way peppier and much more like a sports car with all that torque.

Im going to miss driving my optionless explorer because of that motor. As soon as the bleeding stops and I recover I need to get on this turbo install. Only thing is, I'll never see the gas mileage my 4.0 had.

Is it worth it? This Limited is mint. Its a sexy vehicle for sure. My XLS looks like trash next to the limited, inside and out. No Rust. None. I won't have any trouble getting used to the Limited. I think I just need to start customizing it to make it mine.

I see a 4406 xfer case in the future also. Ive never heard of anyone doing this mod wish they hadn't.

Man I hope you keep very good records on this build. I want to supercharge or turbo my v8 sport so I will be keeping good eye on this thread. Good luck on your build.

Does it have headers already?

No headers. There won't be either.

With the turbo there's no need for the extra expense of those torque monsters with a turbo creating back pressure.

The exhaust has been opened up with a high flow muffler and mandrel bent tubing.

I'll be detailing the whole thing carefully. Partly because I will need all the input I can get from everyone as I am learning as I go.

With the turbo there's no need for the extra expense of those torque monsters with a turbo creating back pressure.

The exhaust has been opened up with a high flow muffler and mandrel bent tubing.

I'll be detailing the whole thing carefully. Partly because I will need all the input I can get from everyone as I am learning as I go.

I would think you would want as little back pressure as possible especially with the added pressure of the turbo:dunno: know they are SUPER restrictive though. Know they are VERY EXPENSIVE also but from what I read they are worth every penny

At this point I'm not planning on the headers, but that could change if I can find supporting documentation that they would help with a turbo.

Expenses are going to be high enough on the build as it is.
SCT, MAF, Fuel Pump, Injectors, turbo, oil scavenge pump, bov, waste gate, lots of piping, oil lines, and connectors. My eye's are watering.

At this point I'm not planning on the headers, but that could change if I can find supporting documentation that they would help with a turbo.

Expenses are going to be high enough on the build as it is.
SCT, MAF, Fuel Pump, Injectors, turbo, oil scavenge pump, bov, waste gate, lots of piping, oil lines, and connectors. My eye's are watering.

Awww man my head hurts now:banghead: there is a lot to a turbo setup:eek: think the problem is that you won't find another car or truck that has the restrictive type of manifold like the explorer. Exhaust does have a HUGE factor tho.one thing seems to be the same is you want the turbo as close as possible.

Have you even decided what type of setup your going with?

Im going rear mount. Probably going to pull my spare tire and install it in that cavity.
Once I have the turbo I'll go to an exhaust shop and see if they feel they can mount it closer to the engine. Id really love to get it close, and be able to get that air filter up in the engine bay.

Im going rear mount. Probably going to pull my spare tire and install it in that cavity.
Once I have the turbo I'll go to an exhaust shop and see if they feel they can mount it closer to the engine. Id really love to get it close, and be able to get that air filter up in the engine bay.

Yea seem the closer the better.think hardest part is going to be getting that return pipe back into the engine bay.

I vote throw a 150 shot on it and be done!!! Lol:D

Make it 2wd then you have room for twins

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I want to keep 4x4.
This will be a daily driver, and 4x4 is sooo nice in the winter.

If anything, I'll be loosing the current xfer case and installing a larger 4406 case.

Back