Turbo on 2000 Limited 5.0 | Page 46 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turbo on 2000 Limited 5.0

Turbo compressor map.gif
Well guys, I don't even have it yet and I'm looking at going turbo.

I think I'll be going STS style with the turbo underneath the the body. I'm hoping I can find room somewhere closer to the front to mount it. If not, I may just go classic style and cut the muffler out and install the turbo in its place.

Tim was kind enough to point me at a turbo for sale locally. I'm checking it out now. I sent the specs to James Henson to see what his thoughts are.

Here's the specs:
t4 F1-68 turbine .68 a/r housing 3" exhaust outlet with a 72mm compressor blade 4inch inlet, 2.5 inch outlet, journal bearing. Also, see compressor map attached. I have a vague understanding, and that concerns me.

Now, the next issue is oil routing.
Oil in to the turbo would be handled from a T off the oil pressure sending unit on the block. Return oil would need a scavenge pump to the top of the oil pan, or in the timing chain cover. The scavenge pump adds quite a bit of cost to the setup. I think saving a few bucks in this area would spell disaster. So, this seems to be the best pump out there:
http://turbowerx.com/Scavenge_Pumps/Exa-Pump/Exa-Pump.html
Stainless steel oil lines will have to be used. As I read about under cab mounted turbo's oil issues seem to be a huge issue. This is going to require careful thought and routing.

My real issue is routing the air filter and compressed air up to the engine bay.
The frame rails will be the the way. I saw one guy notched out his frame for the plumbing and re-enforced the frame by welding metal around the plumbing line (3 inch or 4 inch hole). I'm concerned about running the two pipes and think this will be the biggest challenge. I really don't want that air filter under the truck.
See what this guy did on his ranger?

As for Maf? Pro-M all the way, in a blow thru design.

Fuel pump, injectors, sct go without saying. I'll be having James put together a care package for me along with the Pro-M.
Aeromotive Stealth 340 pump
Bosch uscar (EV6) 60lb injectors part # 108191

I'll recycle my boost gauge and wide band o2 from my supercharged 4.0 ohv.

I'll be using stainless steel for everything under the truck as rust always seems to be an issue.

Also. intercooling. I learned from my last project that cool intake air is incredibly important. People say on under cabin turbo's you don't really need it as the compressed air cools on the way up. Not good enough for me. Im going to go air/water so I have flexibility as to where I mount the intercooler. This could change, but intercooling of some form is a must.

My eye's are watering at what this is going to cost.

I see 02Limited turbo'd his, but he must have had quite a few issues and fell off the forum.

Not much info on guys completing something like this to be found. All input appreciated.

This will be a long process.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ran mine through the same grommet! LOL.
It is so easy to make a tiny hole in the rubber grommet with a pic and then fish the wire through.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

If you go from the interior side and feed wire through, eventually you will see wire on the other side. LOL

lol. Thanks.
I'll look tonight. I havn't had to deal with the vacuum lines yet, so I'm not sure what I need to take apart to get at it yet. It might be as simple (and as difficult) as sticking my head under the dash on the passenger side.

This is where I routed mine

F7BFAEB4-7464-4BC1-AD4C-801363551EB3.jpeg

Controller tucks up nicely on the kick panel, and even the most scared ****less of passengers can’t kick at it.
Ask me how I know

I put mine in the glove box, who wears gloves anyway. lol

I'll have to have a look in the glove box. They really are not good for holding much anyway (Besides Gloves). Might be a great spot also.

So, I tested the pump and snow Performance 375ml/min nozzle in a bucket last night while checking for leaks. I never really thought about what 375ml/min is, but it sure empties my reservoir fast at full voltage. Another observation was that the pump sure is loud. I guess you never hear it over the engine and exhaust noise when on the gas.

Last go round with my black truck I didn't bother with the led's for low reservoir or 'pump active'. This time I'll need to know when the reservoir is getting empty and be able to watch to make sure the pump is active when in boost. These led's should fit nicely on my pillar mount.

I’m running mine into the washer tank. That way if I get low, it shows in the display I’m the message center. I also rigged up a LED in the pillar pod between the boost and wideban so I can see if the pump is coming on, and how strong it’s also coming on. The light will be dim and get briter as the pump spins faster

I have a big ass red LED but it is in my center console and I don't stare at that when at WOT. LOL
Can see it when the run is over though so it does help.

I have a big blue one for when the pump is spraying.
Would like to put smaller ones in the instrument cluster, but wouldn't want them to be very bright.

The kit I have has led's in it. I just never installed them, and years later I didn't loose the led's. Very unusual for me. The last go round I used my windshield washer container and the message center for low fluid level also. Mine always leaked and then I had 2 issues (Wipers, and no spray under boost). Funny thing is, his go round with the separate container there doesn't seem to be any leaks at all first try. Figures.

ok, nothing new on my motor. Hasn't come apart yet. I'm hoping it gets pulled apart this weekend and inspected.

While waiting, I ordered a flowkooler water pump from Summit.. I saw reviews where the quality control on these seemed sketchy. So, the first thing I did was inspect it. Sure enough, the impeller was binding. For the cost I wasn't going to screw with it. Live chat with Summit Racing, and I have another pump coming. As you can see from the chat, instructions are to throw the old one away. Fantastic customer service, as cross border shipping is a pain in the a$$. Lets hope the next one is in better shape.
upload_2018-6-19_10-33-15.png

flowcooler impeller binding.jpg

I know, Right?
The pump its self looks like a modified GMB pump. I will say its disappointing. I'm hoping the next one is ok.

Water pumps. LOL
I went to Advance Auto to get a new water pump and a bunch of other parts for the 2001 Ranger I just picked up.
Ordered them online and went to store to pick them up.
Now Pep Boys changed water pump vendors and they are crap so I don't go there for water pumps.
Advance Auto now sells Carquest water pumps and I heard they are good so I put one on my 2004 supercharged explorer and it is holding up just fine.
So I get to Advance Auto (a couple towns away because my local doesn't have all the parts I need) and they try to give me this no name piece of **** water pump instead of the Carquest one I paid more for. Like they thought I wouldn't notice. Then the guy has the nerve to say "they are all made from the same place" and "they are just in different boxes".
I wanted to pull this idiot across the counter and make him eat his words.

I had them remove the waterpump from my bill and left. I will never go back to that store again.
I ordered a Motorcraft water pump off eBay, only after making sure the part was new and in an unopened box, I don't want someone to swap in a cheap no name brand and then have it fail prematurely.
On my 1998 4 door a cheap PepBoys one broke at the shaft and the fan hit the radiator putting a hole in it. Cheap ****.

I'm running the carquest water pump from advance on my 5.0 , much better than others but i got it because i couldnt wait for a motorcraft on line

I had two Motorcraft WP's when I started my radiator job two weeks back. They didn't look identical, one has no Ford emblem on it, but both are in Ford boxes, which are also not identical. Parts sourcing is much harder now than it used to be.

Don, I hope that next WP they send you is a good one.

The motorcraft unit from summit is actually cheaper than this one. If the next pump appears to be no good, that's the one they will be sending me. I have a feeling even these are reverb's though.

Just because it says FoMoCo, doesn't mean it is. I paid a shop to install a genuine Ford Motorcraft water pump, and this is what they bought. I asked why it said made in China? I dunno, was the reply. Apparently, "Recommended by Ford", isn't the same thing as "Made by Ford". SMDH!

fomoco knockoff water pump.jpg

FoMoCo water pump china version.jpg

Back