• Register Today It's free!

turbo or supercharger?

2manytoyz

Reaction score
City, State
levittown, P.A.
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xl
does anyone sell a turbo or supercharger for a 95 ex w/ 4.0 ? if so please let me know. trying to do somthing different with this one. thanks guys DON
:burnout

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm guessing you have the 4.0 OHV motor by your year number. I am almost positive they don't make turbos or superchargers for that motor. A few people have fabricated them I would try using your search at the top and looking. There is a thread right now actually where someone just fabricated up a turbo system on their SOHC. They make a supercharger for the 4.0 SOHC also , but not the OHV.

There are a few 4.0 OHV superchargers. No turbos for any Explorer engines. BBK, Paxton, and Vortec all have 4.0 OHV superchargers. I think the only one you'll be able to find from a retailer is Vortec. That'll cost you $3k+.

Turbos (in my opinion) are better in my opinion. Free hoarsepower really. The supercharger is usually belt driven and takes engine load to turn it. You can make a turbo work though on yours - nothing a little custom fabrication can't do.

-Drew

ExplorerDMB said:
Turbos (in my opinion) are better in my opinion. Free hoarsepower really. The supercharger is usually belt driven and takes engine load to turn it. You can make a turbo work though on yours - nothing a little custom fabrication can't do.

-Drew

Turbos are a pain, high heat, LOTS of tuning. Too many electronics IMO. And routing the intercooler under the hood would be nuts. Turbos have more potential though...

Don't forget if you ran the turbo under the X you'd be facing weather conditions, it would be MUCH easier to damage it, and someone could easily steal it.

thanks guys for the info ill check it out. i really might just supercharge it. ill keep it up dated. also huskyfan23 a couple of times i see you mentioned somthing about theft. im glad i dont live bye you!!!!

I would go with the supercharger. Ive driven turbo cars before and the feeling between a turbo and a supercharger is completly different. The feeling u get when u stomp the gas, the blower immediatly starts whining and tires start screamin sends chills up my spine every time i get all four roastin.

I wouldn't even think of putting a turbo on an OHV. That engine hates revving as it is, I can only imagine how it would be with a dang turbo on it. Blown engine waiting to happen.

jayhawkexplorer said:
I wouldn't even think of putting a turbo on an OHV. That engine hates revving as it is, I can only imagine how it would be with a dang turbo on it. Blown engine waiting to happen.

Very true. They money you waste (yes, waste) for the turbo kit, intercooler, forged pistons/crank, build internals, blueprinting and balancing, full custom exhaust system, custom fuel system, built tranny and a lot of tuning will put you over the 10 grand mark if you want to put a good amount of boost on it.

you think you would husky!! 357 says you wont!! ( thats how you have to be in philly) everyone else thanks for the info! bye the way you make turbos sound it not even worth it.

2manytoyz said:
does anyone sell a turbo or supercharger for a 95 ex w/ 4.0 ? if so please let me know. trying to do somthing different with this one. thanks guys DON
:burnout
I will sell a complete kit (down to the last nut and bolt) if someone will buy it. If you will leave it with me I will install.-James ;)

jah81592 said:
I will sell a complete kit (down to the last nut and bolt) if someone will buy it. If you will leave it with me I will install.-James ;)

A custom kit or yours? Any estimates on the kit?

A kit for the truck in need. I would prefer to do the install and estimates are completely on what the customer wants. So contact me. Definately not mine I have a lot in store for mine. I am just in a drought at this time!

wow a turbo explorer....i bet when that baby hits boost on the top end she really moves :D where did you mount the intercooler, or do you run it without one?

Dom

No intercooler currently I use methanol injection. But...that is about to change!

Intercooler+Meth=Power!

i agree, thats how we do it with diesels :) the intercooler only becomes a hindrance at super high HP levels. other than that, at lower levels it creates more efficiency, power, and less heat....What else do you have done to it? if you dont want to throw it on this thread shoot me a PM, im very interested :D

Dom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jah81592 said:
No intercooler currently I use methanol injection. But...that is about to change!

Intercooler+Meth=Power!

Some Lightning guys have added the Snow meth kits and had decent gains with the right timing. The stock intercoolers knock over 200* off the intake air temperature

Back