Turbocharging a stock 4.0 SOHC Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turbocharging a stock 4.0 SOHC Explorer

Does anybody ever done such a thing?

I'm wondering if the stock ECM will handle like 4 o 5 psi of boost without any mods?

I live at the Andes mountains, at 6.600 feet of altitude and the atmospheric pressure here is around 9 psi, so I figure if I add 4 or 5 psi of turbo boost the explorer migh perform like if it was at sea level..??

what if I go down to sea level..??

the 4.0 SOHC uses a MAF sensor, so the increase of airflow under boost will make the ECM dump more fuel... or not..?? up to a certain point I'm sure, since definitely the air/fuel mixture is correct at this altitude as well as down at the coastline, in other words, can the ECM be fooled to make it think it's working at sea level..??

thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

RPCaster makes one.

Do some reading. I think you are fine with 4-5lbs boost

RPCaster makes one.

Do some reading. I think you are fine with 4-5lbs boost

RPCaster makes a supercharger kit, not turbo.

oops, sorry. Forced induction is all my brain processed. As far as the motors concerned on the intake side, boost is boost I would think. Only other factor is intake air temperature, correct?

And, yes, some guys have turbo'd their rides. The exhaust work seems like its a lot more work than supercharging though.

couple of this forum members jah81592 & Jakee installed STS remote turbo and they are happy with it

check there threads

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147582

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178042

http://ststurbo.com/universal_turbo_systems

booth_cropped.jpg

Yes it has been done and is being done again.

jah81592 how does the 5R55S handling STS Turbo?

and what about turbo lag? is there too much of it?

jah81592 how does the 5R55S handling STS Turbo?

and what about turbo lag? is there too much of it?

The S was available in the 2002 and newer 4 doors, the E was available in all Gen 2 Explorers. Which model are you referring to?-j

I thought you swapped your E with S to handle the turbo! right?

and what about lag?

does STS turbo have too much lag?

I'm thinking of STS for my 2008 v6 but i'm worry that I will fry the transmission

also I'm worry about STS turbo lag, I'm afraid because of the remote configuration there will be a huge turbo lag

not only turbo lag but rigth after you close the throttle there's still a big column of pressurized air in the long pipes that causes a lot of funny behaviours, a blowoff valve must be used, also the cold ex gas makes it less efective, turbos run on ex heat,

I won't do it that way, there's plenty of room to install a turbo the regular way and I won't have to use an oil pump to scavenge the turbo.

the transmission will survive because I don't plan on visits to the drags, just better performance on the mountain roads.

No, the STS version does pretty good even far back by the axle. There will be more boost than the engine can handle.

Lag, What's that?

The 5r55e has handled 12lbs of boost on my ride. I'm currently at 12lbs and will stay here. I see 12lbs at 1/3 throttle. I have the turbo xs boost controller.

Blow-off valves are needed over 9 lbs of boost. The pressure has to go somewhere when at WOT and then snapping shut. You don't want it building back to the turbo.

are you running a stock ecm or an aftermarket/modified unit?

I don't want as much as 12 psi, 5 or 6 would be enough for me and I want to keep the ecm stock if possible.

Stock ECM but you'll want to tune it (Re-flash). Even if you keep the stock intake and MAF you'll be blowing-thru with the turbo which will change things. Or if you mount the stock MAF on the inlet side of the turbo then you'll be changing the distance from the stock location.....I wouldn't even try it. (with the stock stuff)

5 - 6 lbs will more-than-likely put the duty cycle of the injectors over 80%. Once the duty cycle exceeds this you need to step up to the next size. The stock MAF might peg at this too? Remember, the M90 SC you see people doing this with is not as efficient as a turbo. In other words, just because they can do it doesn't mean the same results with a turbo. (you'll be making more power...more air going through the motor...etc)

If you want room to grow plan on 30-42lbs/hr injectors, new MAF, new fuel pump, and tuning to dial it all in.

Jakee what about the SOHC engine?

for 9-12 PSI boost? does it need any other modifications other than upgrading fuel system and MAF to handle this kind of boost?

nope, the engine can handle it with the proper tuning. You'll want to close the gaps on your plugs and I went with 1 step colder plug. The plugs I use are actually for the 4.6 motor. But this colder heat range may help me to not detonate.

Just remember, if you get any detonation at these levels, get off the throttle and fix the problem. Otherwise, you'll need a new engine quickly. I would start off low (around 6 lbs) to make sure everything is working okay and slowly dial it up. This is pushing things and just because it's worked for me doesn't mean it won't blow up for you. Others have done the same thing, even more without a problem. And then you have those that blew the motor at lower levels.

My opinion it's in the tune, how well you keep up with maintenance, and how hard you beat on it.

Yes it has been done and is being done again.

Agreed. Though a little different from the others. ;)

And is there seriously another thread on this in here? Please for the love of god people use the search function. Allot of us have been on this forum for years and enjoy answering peoples performance question but it gets old when we have to reply to the same exact types of threads over and over and over again. For you new guys, save us the repeated effort and use the search button. That is why we have it. If you have questions after using it then kindly create a thread and we will be happy to respond to your remaining questions.

Agreed. Though a little different from the others. ;)

And is there seriously another thread on this in here? Please for the love of god people use the search function. Allot of us have been on this forum for years and enjoy answering peoples performance question but it gets old when we have to reply to the same exact types of threads over and over and over again. For you new guys, save us the repeated effort and use the search button. That is why we have it. If you have questions after using it then kindly create a thread and we will be happy to respond to your remaining questions.

I found similar threads but none asking what I did, USING THE STOCK ECM WITH A TURBOCHARGER.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found similar threads but none asking what I did, USING THE STOCK ECM WITH A TURBOCHARGER.

All of the Turbocharged 4.0 SOHC Explorers in here use the stock EEC-V ECM. A simple question in one of the existing threads asking for clarification on this would have been better than making an entirely new thread asking questions that have already been answered such as "Turbocharging a stock 4.0 SOHC Explorer...Does anybody ever done such a thing?"

We do our part by taking the time to post technical information for less experienced members to learn from, but you guys have to do your part by doing some thorough searching before creating new threads on a whim that ask questions that have already been answered. There are 50 million threads on "Can I supercharge/turbocharge my Explorer?", "Can I fit dual exhaust on my Gen 3 Explorer?", "What size of rims can I fit on my Explorer?" and it gets old when people are too lazy to do a little reading to find the information they seek that we have already posted soo many times.

Back