Turdle and Gmanpaint's Rock Slider Build Thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turdle and Gmanpaint's Rock Slider Build Thread

Gmanpaint's sliders are finished being built now, finally.

Tomorrow they will get a good coat of winkle black.

We have gone with a u bracket, so, no drilling required. This takes a while to mock up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Turdle Works

--kinda has a ring to it.

Honestly, besides a lot of prep work ( flap discs are all that) , all I have done so far was drill the holes in the brackets, hold things--and speculate on building these as a bolt on kit. I wish I could take the credit for the fabrication.

I do think it is a go though, as, we have the issues worked out. Varying degrees of body lift will be the only hangup

very nice:thumbsup:
i wish i had time to build me a set. i have the 2x4x1/4 and 2.5x2.5x1/4 steel but no round tubing, and i need to figure out the mounting.
since mine is a 2dr could i get away with only 2 braces back to the frame, if built very stout?

since mine is a 2dr could i get away with only 2 braces back to the frame, if built very stout?
Not to hijack the thread but yes - as long as you move them in closer towards the center (maybe a foot away from each edge of the slider). The reason is that 99% of the time, the obstacle will almost never impact near the slider's edge because the obstacles you'll climb over are not 90 degree ledges built out of concrete or bricks. So as the tire rolls over it, the vehicle is moving forward and so most of the scratches you'll see is closer towards the center than the edges.

Is there space to run a cross member between the frame rails, to strengthen the mounting brackets? Even one cross member near the middle where most impact would happen will help, for far outer edge impacts.

You might get away with using the OEM running board holes for the end mounts, that would simplify those. No, scratch that, if you ever dropped the slider on a rock next to the tire, the body wouldn't like that. I'd still make a frame mount at the ends also. The body mounting would be very helpful for the running board, step forces. I see some triangulated frame brackets in my head.

Drilling the front brackets, in line, was made easier by tack welding the 2 plates together--

My idea-:D

Attachments

• front brcket drill.jpg
    front brcket drill.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,708

I wedged a couple chunks of metal in the middle and rear brackets , also to drill the holes in line

Attachments

• middle bracket drill.jpg
    middle bracket drill.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,676

Is there space to run a cross member between the frame rails, to strengthen the mounting brackets? Even one cross member near the middle where most impact would happen will help, for far outer edge impacts.

You might get away with using the OEM running board holes for the end mounts, that would simplify those. No, scratch that, if you ever dropped the slider on a rock next to the tire, the body wouldn't like that. I'd still make a frame mount at the ends also. The body mounting would be very helpful for the running board, step forces. I see some triangulated frame brackets in my head.

Then you should approve of this--:D

Attachments

• triangulation bracket.jpg
    triangulation bracket.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 3,586

Here is a close up of the finished product

The goal was wrinkle black in visible areas, glossy on the hidden ones.

Attachments

• finished slider.jpg
    finished slider.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 4,068

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back