Turn-down on cat-back vs. out the side ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turn-down on cat-back vs. out the side ??

becker69

Reaction score
City, State
Centennial, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac
I wanted to know if anyone had experience with a turndown on their cat-back; say making the exhaust exit over or just after the rear axle... instead of the Gibson style out the side after the pax side rear tire? I keep whackin' my existing exhaust tip on rocks and stuff and I'm thinking of making it shorter.

I was a bit concerned about vibration / reverberation coming off pavement and getting annoying though, or heat buildup by the spare tire, or ... any ideas?
NOTE: I do have a Sport Trac and the proposed shorter exit is still behind the pax compartment and under the bed. Thanks ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine is dumped right after the muffler, before the axle. Never had a problem.

Mine headds straight out the back, but its a natural fit on a BII

Thanks. I figure if it doesn't dump too much carbon / residue crap from the exhaust onto the underside then I can cut about 4 bends of pipe out of the exhaust which would be nice as well... I guess the SOHC shouldn't be loud with the turndown.

410Fortune, yeah I think that'd fit better on a ride like your BII... the Sport Trac has a long grey tupperware bumper that makes things get into the way with a hitch under it.

Any opinions on if I should order a Stainless exhaust or the "Aluminized-Steel" Gibson? I am somewhat new to CO and the snow is not bad at all in Denver... it doesn't seem to stick for more than 3-5 days ususally.

Reason's for not getting the SS version: First off I can save at least $100. Second, I read Gibson's warranty information and the SS only covers rust through and I don't think they'll cover anything with modifications (ie waxing the end to turn down :)

Any help from those who live in similar areas?? 410Fortune... any info ?? Thanks.

Well I went 'Aluminized' and I like the sound, power, etc However, Gibson's tail pipe fit (at least on a Sport Trac) is CRAP!! The directions explain to have at least 1 inch clearance from fuel lines, shocks, etc. Not going to happen. After playing with the fitment and mind you trying my best to keep the muffler slightly rotated for max ground clearance... it rattles at idle against my rear pax side shock. So...

I think I'm going to dump a turndown on it right out of the muffler (THanks Hartman and all others!!). :thumbsup:

i run a turndown right after the muffler on my toyota... the only tiem i ever really notice extra noise is driving by otehr cars in traffic or next to the temp concrete barriers on freeways... buti liek the noise... i have not found that it makes and extra carbon or buildup on anything under the truck.....

the only bad part, is that we have smog 2 on a dyno here in CA.... and the smog guy got pissed and almost gave me an immediate fail because it was very difficult for him to get the probe up the tailpipe as it was really close to the dyno rollers

Back