• Register Today It's free!

Turn indicator problem

sophie12397

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer XLT
Hi all, I'm pretty new here, this is my fourth post and third questions so I'm going to apolgoize in advance if my ignorance shows too much...

I bought a 96 Explorer XLT about 6 weeks ago, and in the last week or so, its developed a problem with the right turn signal. Here's what happens, when I go to turn the right turn indicator on, it makes a very loud noise (almost a grinding noise but more metallic, kinda KKKKKKKKKKKK), sometimes the indicator turns on, sometimes (more frequently lately) it won't. I can sometimes balance the handle in a position where the turn indicator works but that means I have to hold the handle in THAT spot. Obviously, this isn't going to work as I make the turn! The left turn indicator works fine.

I went to Advance Auto Parts the other day, and they sold me a replacement flasher but the part they sold me doesn't look at all like anything under MY dash. As a matter of fact, there's a small yellow plastic part with lots of wires coming into and out of it that is making the noise. I heard and felt it (I put my hands on it) when I was down there looking at it.

A few questions...
1. Think this is a short?
2. How do I fix this?
3. Can I fix it or does it have to go to the dealer?
4. Pricing?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The turn signal stalk is called the multifunction switch. It wears out. Sometimes effecting turn signals or lights. Costs about $55. at dealer & is usually in stock. A search will tell you how to replace it. Not hard at all.

yeap! have that same problem myself...when i put the turning signal to turn right sometimes it does that grinding sound...if i pull the turning signal handle in twords me it will stop doing it. signal still works though but every once in a while it will do that grinding sound...nice to know it's not just my X doing that. let me know how that fix turns out for you Sophie, planning on doing that myself sometime soon...hey, take some pics of that job if you do it yourself...it always helps to have pic for us visual peeps...

So, lemme get this right... its the handle for the turn signal and NOT the flashers? Wonder if I could get it at the junkyard where I got the rear quarter glass...

Do your emergency flashers work properly when you turn them on? If the flasher relay was bad, then the left flasher or the emergency flashers would not work properly. 98% of the time, the issue is the multifunction switch (stalk). You can pull one from the junkyard, but with the way they go south, never can be sure whether the one you pull will work right.

It sounds like it is going really fast, huh? Mine does that too when I put it in the right turn position, but it only does it when it is cold. Not all the time though.

sophie12397 said:
So, lemme get this right... its the handle for the turn signal and NOT the flashers? Wonder if I could get it at the junkyard where I got the rear quarter glass...

These trucks, and a lot of Fords from the same era, are notorious for having bad multifunction switches (they're often referred to as multi-f***up switches). Based on that, I would bet that one you got from a junkyard will already be bad or going bad. I'd get a brand new one. Another symptom of a bad switch is windshield washer fluid not coming out when you press the button for that. Mine's got this issue, but I just haven't been bothered enough with it yet to replace the part.

The emergency flashers work fine. So, I guess I'll be heading to the Ford dealer here, pretty soon to get the multi !@#$%^ stalk :)

Thanks again for all your help!

Back