• Register Today It's free!

Turn key twice to start???

Flygt

Reaction score
City, State
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 XLT 4.0 SOHC
Read most of the threads and posts and cannot find anything to help. I turn the key in my 00 XLS with 150000kms and it rolls over every time without fail, but will not always start on first roll over, but always on second attempt. Now this is where it gets confusing....to me anyway....If I turn the key ahead to the on position without cranking the engine and turn it to the off position, then the second time I actually turn it over(ie on/start position) the truck will start at the touch of a key every time without fail. Battery load tested ok. Complete tune-up with autolite dble plat plugs, belden max wires, motomaster fuel filter, new ford PCV and fram air filter. Any suggestions help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you have a spare key try it It may work better

Maybe your fuel pressure is bleeding down when its off. Try turning the key on, let the pump run for a couple of seconds and then turn it to start.

If you have access to a pressure guage, try reading it before you start it and again right after you shut it off.

Somewhere to start thanks guys. Never heard of fuel pressure dying off. Would this not indicate a leak?
I have no fuel odor.

Maybe your fuel pressure is bleeding down when its off. Try turning the key on, let the pump run for a couple of seconds and then turn it to start.

If you have access to a pressure guage, try reading it before you start it and again right after you shut it off.

X2

i had a ranger do that, as well as the ranger that i have know, but my explorer doesn't. i believe one or more of the injectors my be loosing presser and bleeding down. dose this happen every time you go to start it, or just if it sits for a while.

It could also be a bad fuel pump as well. When you turn the key to the run position it almost acts like it is priming the engine, as the fuel pump automatically pushes fuel when the key is in run. When you turn it to the run position, off and then start you're getting enough fuel. I'd have that checked out right away. I had this exact same problem with my 5.0L Stang. I switched out the pump and it was all good after that.

Every Ford I have ever owned has been like this. F150s, Excursions, Explorers, and Crown Victorias. I stopped worrying about it.

look at the fuel pressure regulator beading off or a leaking injector. Pressure regulator is a pita but leaking injector will eventually cause bearing damage as it disrupts the oils ability to film until it heats up enough for the fuel to evaporate off.

Tried using ford OEM key and oddly does start better, since my last post only once did not start first time. That being said it still did it. It seems to do it after short trips. When it sits overnight or at work for 9 hours it strarts at the touch of a key. Run to the corner store nad try to start it and that is when it is most likely. Trying to troubleshoot in the middle of winter with no garage is a little tricky too.
Thanks guys for all the input. Cheers

I had a problem with fuel pressure bleeding down. It would have a rough start-up after sitting a while. It was a very slow leak and it took forever for the dealer to figure out what was going on.

Back