• Register Today It's free!

Turn Signal Issue

nugrapeman2

Reaction score
City, State
Sparta, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT 4.0 OHV
I have a 99 Explorer XLT 4.0 OHV. I noticed on the way to work this morning. That when i turned right and put my signal on that it was not lighting up on the dash. It would work when i turned left and all the signal lights are working correctly outside the vehicle turning left or right. Might it be a fuse? Or is there a bulb that might have burned out??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your problem is that the right turn indicator bulb is burnt out. cheap to replace, easy to change, but a PITA to get at. if you end up going in there, i suggest you change all the bulbs while your at it. not the kind of job you want to do more than once if you can help it.

Well after 8 days it started working again. I didn't touch it. Any idea what it might have been??

probably still a burnt out bulb. sometimes a broken filament will make contact and will work intermittently. seems to happen more often with small bulbs (which this is).

If you go in there to fix it be mindful on the bottom area of the steering column to look for the shift indicator mechinism it is very easy to break but pretty simple to unhook.

If you go in there to fix it be mindful on the bottom area of the steering column to look for the shift indicator mechinism it is very easy to break but pretty simple to unhook.

This. ^

My Ex didn't come with the column to adjust the steering wheel height, and so I found one from a parts car and put it in.

When I adjusted the steering wheel to the height I wanted, both my indicators stopped working. My hazard switch still worked, but no left or right.

I then moved the steering wheel height back to where it was initially, and all went back to normal.

So now I was thinking maybe that is why the previous owner removed it...

I have traced this in my last Ex to be a broken clip in the Signal switch wiring harness.
Tilting the wheel down unplugs it, tilting back up (Sometimes) fixes it. I CA glued the SOB to it and by gosh that worked (I feel bad for the sap that gets to change that later on. That stuff doesn't let go easy)

Pop the wheel cover off and take a look
(tilt wheel specific.)
Remove the tilt handle (it just unscrews)
unscrew the 3 bolts from under the steering column cover and look at the switch which will be very easy to see. The clip at the top of that was broken in my other Ex. Slides right out of place. (Don't use CA glue though. you'll never change the switch easily. Fortunately for me, i don't have that rig anymore :)

Back