Turn signal issue

mreaglewo1

Reaction score
City, State
nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 explorer sport
Hello,

Hopefully you can help me out...(big time)

My turn signals do not work, headlights do not work, washer fluid will not spray

however wipers work and headlights will work only if i hold the handle towards me like a high beam flash. hazards work as well.

Would this be the multi function switch? turn signal flasher?

thanks

i have 95 ford explorer 2dr, 4wd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a multi function switch to me. Mine works light wise, but the washer/wiper section work only when the turn signals are on. The contacts over time either water out, or be one dirty. New ones a easily replaceable, and fairly cheap. Or you can just get one from the junk yard.

I agree with the above^! I also have a 1995 2dr 4WD explorer. Had to replace my multi-function switch recently. Same symptoms as yours! All fixed with new switch. You can get a brand new one on rockauto.com or ebay! I got mine on rockauto!

okay, do you know the part number by a chance I searched but came up with a couple different ones....also, do you have a step by step directions to replacement?

thanks

okay, do you know the part number by a chance I searched but came up with a couple different ones....also, do you have a step by step directions to replacement?

thanks

Make sure you get one for your model year or you'll go through the same headache as me.

I tried 3 different switches, non have worked properly in my truck. Just makes the wipers go crazy.

thanks

It's easy. You need a Phillips screwdriver and a Torx driver. Two screws holding the steering wheel shroud together like a clamshell, and then two Torx bolts holding the switch to the steering column. Remove the two electrical connectors, put them on the new switch, and reinstall the screws. Should take less than 10 mins and that includes time spent finding and putting away your tools.

I agree with the above^! I also have a 1995 2dr 4WD explorer. Had to replace my multi-function switch recently. Same symptoms as yours! All fixed with new switch. You can get a brand new one on rockauto.com or ebay! I got mine on rockauto!

do you have an item number or exact item? I called two different places. one told me $60 and the other told me $200.

All the parts houses call it a dimmer switch. Why? Don't know. Autozone normally stocks these so you can walk in and pick one up. Otherwise mail order from RockAuto or others are about $20 cheaper (plus shipping).

Autozone part number SW1093 used for 95 through 98 -- $65
Late year 98's through rest of 2nd gens use Autozone part number SW1977 -- $60

I put a new turn signal switch/multifunction switch in. still didnt fix it. no turn signals, no washer fluid, or headlights. Whats next?

One of the issues with the mfs is the wiring harness is a little short and gets pulled tight when the steering column is tilted down, causing the plug to pull out of the MFS. There are a couple plugs that go into the MFS, but offhand not sure how the different functions are divided in the harnesses. I would start by rechecking the connections of the plugs and your fuses. From there get a multimeter and check the plugs for power and ground. There might be a common ground that has corroded or possibly a break in the wiring somewhere, most likely somewhere along the column right where it pivots.

Back