turn signal no worky!

clarkkent

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
san luis obispo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
McNeil Mountaineer
so my turn signal doesnt work. but my hazards work. whats up? wher is the flasher relay located?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so my turn signal doesnt work. my hazards work. whats up? wher is the flasher relay located?
the flasher relay is a round plug module that should be on your under dash fuse panel.there should also be one for the e-flasher but smaller so make sure you remove the right one.get the # off the flasher it and give it to your auto parts store,it should be a 224.:D

its for a 99, u said fuse panel under the dash? is this the seperate panel from the side of the dash?

i thought in 95 they relocated the fuse panel from under the dash to on the left of the dashboard, which is where yours should be arvin.

arrghh!!! soo.... when the guy was building my cage, he built a bar that blocks that fuse panel on the side! err!

ooo bummer! hope you can get that figured out. but on another note, arvin, check your myspace..

Another possibility, on the first gens the ground for the flasher is supplied through the turn signal light. A burnt out bulb causes the flasher to not work. Check to see if a front or rear turn bulb is bad.

Could be the MFS too.

oops!

sounds like you're between a rock and a hard place on this one.is there room to sneak the fuse cover out of the way with a screwdriver or pliers?id try that first before tearing my steering column apart.even if you have a steering wheel puller and lock ring remover to get it apart you still need a multi-meter and the procedure to test the turn signal switch.i'm not too familiar with explorers but you might be able to get to the harness plug in and check the circuits without removing the switch.i still think its the blinker module though,if it was the column switch more than likely one side would still work and if it was a bulb out that side would blink faster than the side with both working.how crowded is it under your dash? maybe you can get the panel twisted around to sevice it from the inside just dont yank on the wires going into it while doing it.

Maybe he snuck some Kryptonite in on you. :D

Sorry I could not help myself.

You could leave it and do what many idiots on the road do. Don't use your turn signals. Nothing makes me more angry!

This might help. :D

Attachments

• sigpoint.gif
    sigpoint.gif
    12.2 KB · Views: 3,640
  • sigtraf.gif
    sigtraf.gif
    12.8 KB · Views: 4,101

Yeah, I was having to do that the other day. Though that picture must be British. The hand signals I know are different, and the picture shows the driver sitting on the right side...

On my '99, the flasher is not located in the fuse panel, but underneath the driver's side knee panel. It's a little yellow square piece plugged into a harness.

There is another post here somewhere where the person is getting smoke from their switch. Perhaps smoke signals will work better. Just try to find the switch that smokes!

To elaborate on the MFS, and the different ways it can be f*cked up:

1. Buzzing noise when trying to signal a turn.(Mine did this)

2. Smoke escaping from the switch. (Didn't see this)

3. Strange effects from the intermittent wipers, like skipping cycles or performing two cycles in a row, then going back to the normal pattern. (Mine also did this)

4. Loss of low beam headlight on one side or the other (Mine didn't do this, but others have had this problem)

5. Loss of brake light on one side or the other (I remember this happened to Rick)

There may be others as well. Several circuits are routed thru the switch, and they seem to have a high rate of failure.

2. Smoke escaping from the switch.

Me and one other person here was having this problem just earlier this week. I ordered a new MFS from Advance Auto Parts last week and installed it myself.

Some people have suggested that you can take apart the MFS and regrease the contacts. I thought I would do that to the old one so I could keep it as a spare or sell it on Ebay as a refurbished part.
Yuk. What a greasy mess! To make it worse, two springs came out. One I noticed went with the hazard button, the other I could not figure out where the hell it goes. If it is what is giving you the trouble, then I would suggest replacing it. Just make sure that is what your problem is, and not the flasher or fuse.

To elaborate on the MFS, and the different ways it can be f*cked up:

1. Buzzing noise when trying to signal a turn.(Mine did this)

2. Smoke escaping from the switch. (Didn't see this)

3. Strange effects from the intermittent wipers, like skipping cycles or performing two cycles in a row, then going back to the normal pattern. (Mine also did this)

4. Loss of low beam headlight on one side or the other (Mine didn't do this, but others have had this problem)

5. Loss of brake light on one side or the other (I remember this happened to Rick)

There may be others as well. Several circuits are routed thru the switch, and they seem to have a high rate of failure.

I've yet to replace mine.

Mine makes the buzzing noise, left signal doesn't always work, smelled electrical burning smell a couple of times.

One other problem I'm experiencing is the squirter does not work. I have to pound the hell out of mine to get the squirter's to work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back