turn signal no worky! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

turn signal no worky!

I've yet to replace mine.

Mine makes the buzzing noise, left signal doesn't always work, smelled electrical burning smell a couple of times.

One other problem I'm experiencing is the squirter does not work. I have to pound the hell out of mine to get the squirter's to work.

Yep... It's MFS replacement time...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have to pound my squirter to work too... no joke. where is the mfs located? how do i get to it?

The MFS is the turn signal switch. I believe there is a link in the Useful Thread Forum on how to replace it.

There is another post here somewhere where the person is getting smoke from their switch. Perhaps smoke signals will work better. Just try to find the switch that smokes!
I had to replace my MFS. When it began to buzz intermittently, I purchased one, but waited for it to get worse before actually replacing. Well, it got worse! I saw a puff of smoke when I started my X with the left turn signal on. Replacement was relatively straightforward and no problems since.

Me and one other person here was having this problem just earlier this week. I ordered a new MFS from Advance Auto Parts last week and installed it myself.

How much did they charge you for it? I think the quote at the parts counter at my local dealership was $90.

I had one wisp of smoke a while back, but no problems right now.

They are around $50 at parts stores.

10 bux at a junkyard! or try ebay!

I'd go for a new one. For $50 you can't beat it, plus you get a 1 year warranty.

The MFS is located in the steering column, and all you have to do is remove the 3 screws holding the shroud on. Tilt the steering wheel back and forth as needed.

Supposedly, you can unscrew the tilt lever when removing the bottom shroud. From what I could see, and what the Haynes manual says, it just unscrews off. Yeah, right. That thing is gorilla-fisted on there. You can move the shroud around a bit once it is loose, though. The black plastic piece that the turn signal stalk goes into is it. You only need to remove 2 screws and 2 harnesses to get it out. Installation is the reverse of removal.

There's a thread here with pictures, do a search and see if you can find it.

If you have a smoke leak, you should fix it right away. If you let all of the smoke out of your truck, it won't work anymore. That's why Ford is recalling the SCDS that leaks smoke. Cause sometimes it lets all the smoke out. :p: :D

Smoke on the water, and fire in the sky.

As of yet there has been no mention of a stupid with a flare gun or a gambling house. But this isn't over yet.:D

Location of flasher relay in '97 XLT

I have a '97 XLT - today the turn signals AND the emergency flashers started not working. Fuses are OK, but can't find the flasher relay - found some that I *thought* were the flasher/turn signal relays, but they control the electric windows (under dash, right side of steering column, a real pain to get to). Anyone know where the relay fuse (or whatever it's called - new one is Tridon part number EP-27) is located? I found something on the left floor with a big plastic handle (for pulling?) but don't want to mess with it unless that is it...
But from what I've read here, sounds like it is the Multi-Function Switch. But until I find the OLD EP-27, and try replacing it (have already bought a new one) I don't want to mess with the MFS. Ideas?
Thanks!!

Hey y'all, I found it - on another site. If I'm allowed to post it, here it is: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_is_the_turn_signal_flasher_in_a_97_Ford_Explorer
This had the exact answer I needed. Found the thing, was pretty well plugged in but finally got it out, and replaced with an EP-27 from the auto parts store. Yes, the original flasher (yellow by the way, and longer) had an extra (6th) prong, that is smaller than the others, but the female end (at the end of a bundle of wires that I managed to drop down from behind the OBD 2 diagnostics connector) did not have a live connector for that 6th prong. Someone in another post explained that might be for the factory-built heavy duty trailer package, and I bet that is right. We had to get our trailer package done after the fact. Anyway, my turn signals and emergency flasher are all working now!! Yay! I hope this helps someone else frustrated with not being able to find that thing in their '97 Explorer (it is NOT where the Hanes manual or most other guides said it is). I took some photos by the way - if I can figure out how to post them I will.

The "thing" is the emergency/turn signal flasher - After-market version I got at Advance Auto Parts is the TRIDON EP-27 ($16).

Hey y'all, I found it - on another site. If I'm allowed to post it, here it is: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_is_the_turn_signal_flasher_in_a_97_Ford_Explorer
This had the exact answer I needed. Found the thing, was pretty well plugged in but finally got it out, and replaced with an EP-27 from the auto parts store. Yes, the original flasher (yellow by the way, and longer) had an extra (6th) prong, that is smaller than the others, but the female end (at the end of a bundle of wires that I managed to drop down from behind the OBD 2 diagnostics connector) did not have a live connector for that 6th prong. Someone in another post explained that might be for the factory-built heavy duty trailer package, and I bet that is right. We had to get our trailer package done after the fact. Anyway, my turn signals and emergency flasher are all working now!! Yay! I hope this helps someone else frustrated with not being able to find that thing in their '97 Explorer (it is NOT where the Hanes manual or most other guides said it is). I took some photos by the way - if I can figure out how to post them I will.

While trying to figure out a left turn signal not working problem I too replaced the flasher. The new part from Ford does not have the sixth prong either. Mine was not the problem. A loose connector on the MFS switch was the problem.

By now you've probably fixed your problem but if not...unless you remove the drivers seat to access the flasher you have to remove the trim and steel stiffener plate just below the steering column which involves screws on the bottom lip of the trim panel / hood release latch, then lets you remove the trim panel. Then remove the steel plate hiding the flasher. The two screws holding the hood release are a pain in the a** to deal with.

No, fortunately, I did not have to do that (taking out the driver's seat *would* have made it easier to get to, for sure! As it was I basically had to get to it upside down, squeezing my head up under the dash and wedging my body in front of the seat, my back on the floor). The flasher was actually loose, hanging on a bunch of cables, but kind of up in there - I reached up and pulled it out carefully (all by feel - could not see anything until it came down) but it was very hard to unplug - similar to the plastic holder that the headlights are held in with.
When I replaced the flasher, I just kind of stuffed it back up in its little cavity - no snap or holder, just a space between the wires.

Explorer flasher

Since I'm not sure the flasher is my daughters problem (#10 fuse blowing) I'm going to leave the trim panel and steel plate off for a while. The flasher is easily accessible with those two panels off. The flasher is attached to the column support with a clip so I imagine your clip had been broken. Her flashers work fine except when the fuse blows then she loses A/C, stop lights, O/H console, radio, cruise and the aux 12 volt plug. Lots of stuff on a 7.5 amp fuse.

98 Explorer sport 74K miles and still looks good but about to go to clunkerville for the $4500.00 credit. She wants a I4 4x4 Mariner

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

which pins on the MFS short when the turn signal switch is closed. my signals just quit working but my 4way flasher works.

Back