turn signal only works when the hazards are on! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

turn signal only works when the hazards are on!

grizzlyxjim

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLS
So The blinkers only work when I have the hazard pushed down and use the turn signal lever. They do not work as hazard lighs, and they don't work when it is not pushed down. I happened to have an extra flasher relay laying in my glove box so I replaced that but no dice. Anyone have this specific issue before? I'm thinking multi function switch but if anyone has any insight input would be much appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could very well be the multifunction switch. Try tilting the wheel to the extreme up and down positions and see if it changes. I've had this happen, and means the connector for the multifunction switch wasn't seated. Pulling the column trim off is quick and easy.

I went ahead and ordered the switch. The steering shrouds were gone when I bought the vehicle, I've had it a year and haven't bothered to buy new ones. I did try to adjust the steering wheel and that was a no go, but I appreciate your input. I'll update here in few days when I get the switch and let everyone know if that was the issue.

So it was not the multifunction switch out the new one in and it is doing the same thing. The wires are all seated fine i just replaced the flasher relay and the multifunction switch so I'm not sure what the issue is. I wouldn't worry but my inspection is at the end. Of July and they'll check the hazards !

Did you check the taillight connectors?

Otherwise, it might be the GEM...not sure what all that controlled in a 99 mounty.

When you say pushed down, do you mean in its normal, lower position? If so, that's normal for the blinkers. When the switch is down, hazards should be off, and signals should function. When the switch is up, the hazards should be on, but disable the turn signals.

Mbrooks420 it's supposed to be pushed in? Then I guess my hazards just aren't working? I'm not sure seems like it wasn't like that before. I did check the tail light connections. I had recently replaced the radio and fuel pump I checked all of those wires even hooked the stock stereo back up it changed nothing. So if that is the case and the hazards are not working what would I look for there. I have already checked all the fueses

Yes, down is its normal hazards off position. Could be the multifunction turn signal switch, or its connections. I've had issues with both.

I already replaced the multi function switch and meticulously inspected the wiring lol

Does your windows, roof work? If not, mostly GEM

all the lights and windows, 4x4, wipers etc work fine. Only other thing I noticed is the compass above the rear view is out and my power seats work intermittently . don't think its related. Managed to get the old horse to pass safety but the trans is exhibiting signs of a blown body valve gasket so that's my next project this is on hold but continued comments and insight are always welcome.

edit:
the emergency switch might be the issue. I think it completes the circuit when switched off, allowing the individual directional switches to work.

Did a search for emergency switch for a 99 mountaineer on ebay only thing that came up was a part for the e-brake, It sounds like you are describing the multifunction switch which I already replaced but If I am wrong (which could likely be the case) do me a favor and link me to the part all I've found is the "FORD OEM-Park Parking Emergency Brake Warning Switch"

when you say "I happened to have an extra flasher relay laying in my glove box".

was it new?

It was new, I ordered one off of amazon when it went out last year and didn't want to wait so I got one from autozone and tossed the one from amazon in the glove box, but I purchased a new one to be sure that wasn't the problem a week or so ago so now I have two working flasher relays in my glove box haha

the system used 2 fuses fuse 21 (15a hot at all times ) and fuse 10 (7.5a hot in run)
,is there any difference when the engine is running?

here are some tests and a circuit diagram dropbox link

The only issue it is giving me is a code in 06$ mode which is cid 41 tid 11 something with a vacuum leak or whatever I haven't been able to trace down. I did check the fuses they were okay and getting power
thanks for the diagrams those will come in handy

Back