Turned 69,000 miles in 2012 XLT and 1st Dealer Visit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turned 69,000 miles in 2012 XLT and 1st Dealer Visit

dug1016

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi all,

Just turned 69,000 miles on my 2012 XLT (Silver Ingot, 4WD) and had to take to dealer this week for first real problems. Feel very lucky it has been problem-free thus far. Picked up this afternoon. The MFT display went black last week and they had to order a new APIM. Also, the driver side door armrest disintegrated inside the door and ended up tearing the "pleather" at the glued seam (although I do rest my elbow a lot on the armrest). Dealer was great (Future Ford). Took 2 days to get new APIM and had the driver door armrest was in the next day. APIM failed hardware test and was replaced under the extended warranty Ford is offering on the MFT. Driver side door armrest was $225.00 and cost $62.00 labor to install (out-of-pocket). So far, beats the 2010 GMC Acadia I had that had two A/C failures within a month (both out of warranty and about $1,000 each) as well the numerous issues with headlights burning out (at least a half a dozen failures and a wiring harness burning up). I traded out of the Acadia at 90,000 miles as it was leaking from the timing chain cover (which GMC tells you is a sign your timing chain has stretched and is headed for an impending failure).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Funny when the left door panel's MSRP is $195 and they charged you $225.

If you google search "discount ford parts" you will come up with dealerships that offer heavy discounts.

For example, the same panel is $122. http://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...DWARE&group=FRONT DOOR&subgroup=INTERIOR TRIM

Also, I've taken several door panels apart and they are much easier then one would think. 3 or 4 screws and you just lift up and it pops off.. Hopefully you won't have to do it again but an almost $300 repair could have cost you only $122 plus shipping.

Hope you continue with many more trouble free miles.

My god did you ever sleep 69k on a 2012 wow...! I guess its a camper explorer.
YOU HAD TO DRIVE OVER 2700 MILES PER MONTH

Use the vehicle for work and, yes, average around 3,000 miles a month.

It's a breath of fresh air to hear some one like me who has had a practically trouble free experience with our Explorers! Mine, albeit, a '13 wit about 10k miles on has only had two issues since I drive it off the lot!

Good luck with many more trouble-free miles!

My god did you ever sleep 69k on a 2012 wow...! I guess its a camper explorer.
YOU HAD TO DRIVE OVER 2700 MILES PER MONTH
I have had mine for about 33 months now and just went over 9,800 miles this morning. :D

Peter

Peter, You're factory warranty is almost expired before your Ex is fully broken in. Did you opt to get an extended warranty to cover you when you hit 12,000 miles in about a year?

tinner

Peter, You're factory warranty is almost expired before your Ex is fully broken in. Did you opt to get an extended warranty to cover you when you hit 12,000 miles in about a year?

tinner
Yes, I did. My lease is up March 2015 and I figure I should have amassed about 14,000 miles by then. Might have to wash it one more time though. ;)
This summer I was filling the tank about every 8 - 10 weeks. Was thinking perhaps I should add fuel stabilizer to it. :) Now that hockey season is here (I coach minor hockey) I'll be driving a bit more and will likely have to get gas every 2 - 3 weeks. Ouch!

Peter

Well with gas well under 3 dollars a gallon now it shouldn't be too painful. ( I played minor league hockey in the St. Louis Blues farm system, many many years ago)

tinner

Well with gas well under 3 dollars a gallon now it shouldn't be too painful. ( I played minor league hockey in the St. Louis Blues farm system, many many years ago)

tinner
Gas here is currently $5.40 a Canadian gallon.

Peter

WOW, I guess we shouldn't complain here in the Midwest- sorry to hear that.

Just took my 12 XLT into the dealership (Downtown Ford in Sacramento) as well. 68,300 miles in 25 months - time for new brakes (still has originals), new tires (also original) and the 60k service. Winter (and snow) is coming, so I figured this was a good time to get this stuff taken care of. Say goodbye to $1500 or so...

Thankfully, it's been a problem free experience so far...

Back