turns over but wont start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

turns over but wont start

ajdow

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hey everyone! My issue is when i turn the key i dont hear the fuel pump. I tested the fuel pump off the battery and it does work. I checked the volts on the fuel pump harness and got a 1.4 reading. I change the fuse and the reading went too 9.8. So hooked up the lines and the explorer started! Put everything back together and went about my day. Now on my way home all the sudden it died. I have power but again the fuel pump isnt engaging on ignition. I tried messing with fuses and relays but no go. Just turns over with out a fire. I am so lost any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sounds like a new relay is what you need.

Just had a very similar problem. Turns out it was a bad EEC relay. After a 5-10 minute drive, it would heat up and not energize when I tried to restart it.

When you turn the key on (engine off) you should see your 'check engine' light (unless the bulb's burned out). If you don't, you have a bad EEC relay. The engine will crank but you'll get no spark and no fuel.

I ended up replacing both the fuel pump and EEC relays and they were original and 21 years old. Haven't had a problem since.

In the power distribution box under the hood, you can swap the fuel pump and WOT relay as a test. to confirm the relay is really the problem.

If it is the relay, we strongly suggest buying the Ford part. Aftermarket relays won't last the 22 years your original one did. There IS a difference!

Back