Twin screw-vs-Centrifugal superchargers. What are your thoughts? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Twin screw-vs-Centrifugal superchargers. What are your thoughts?

You will not be able to adapt a 88-93 Mustang Kenne Bell Twin Screw supercharger to the Explorer V8. There is a significant difference in the fore-aft location of the belt plane to the engine block. On the Mustang, there is plenty of room between the fan and the radiator, so accessory drive length was not an issue.

Look at the Explorer fan to radiator gap. It is roughly 1" and that is will the "shortest" (closest to block) accessory drive package ever put on the 302 engine.

I am currently investigating the Kenne Bell Blowzilla/Flowzilla blower/intake package for the 94-95 Mustang, which had an accessory drive package only 1/2-3/4" longer than the explorer. This would put the fan really close to the radiator, but I believe that powerdyne adds a second belt in and spaces the fan forward, so it should be feasible.

If the 94-95 accessory drive location will work, you could use an off the shelf Kenne Bell blower and either use 94-95 Mustang accessory brackets or space the explorer brackets ot align with the blower drive pulley and 94-95 mustang crank damper/pulley. With the crank, you would have to custom work the mustang damper to accept the crank position exciter ring though.

Well, I will get into this soon I hope, I just need to come up with the $3600 for the Kenne Bel kit, the $100 to modify the crank damper, $800+ to rebuild engine, $600 to make custom 1 3/4" headers, $1000 for TB, MAF, fuel pump & lines, etc., etc...

I will definitely let you know if I get this done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a Vortech on my 93 EB. Like Paul, I sold mine. While the V8 installation is pretty straight forward, the V6 sucks. It was a snakes nest of connections that would bust open with all of the wheeling.

Also, in a heavy vehicle like an Explorer, it just takes too long to get into boost. The stock pulley starts to pull boost at about 3500rpm. This does not leave much room till redline. It also does little about getting the heavy truck moving off the line. This was another reason I got rid of it. Even with having a custom small pulley made, it still didn't do much till 3000rpm.

Oh yea, when you had boost it moved well....... for all 2000rpm. :rolleyes:

If you can't tell, I wasn't thrilled with it.

I've been happy with my Eaton since day 1 :)

I've been happy with my Paxton and my vortech. ONly time I ever had a problem with the tubing was when I had cheap hose clamps and connecting boots. My boost starts well at around 2000 rpms. Later Doug904.

I have a 94 Thunderbird SC and I have done a lot of research on Eaton M90's and other roots and twin screw superchargers.

Here's the skinny. For what you guys are trying to accomplish my first prefrence would be a whipple charger, second would be a centrifugal.

Why the whipple? It is much more efficient than the Eaton M90, and produces a lot less heat. If you mounted an eaton you would probably want to intercool it, unless you kept the boost real low. I have seen non-intercooled whipples produce intake temperatures only 40 degrees warmer than air-to-air intercooled Eaton M90 setups.

here's a whipple link Dead Link Removed

What's the downside? There are no kits for your trucks. You would have to fab up brackets, intake plenums, tensioner mounts, bypass valves, and a bunch of other stuff. It wouldn't be a really hard job, but definatly more than just a bolt on operation. You would also probably have to have a tig or mig welder nearby. The sweet setup would be to mount one on top, like the Thunderbird SC's, but you would practically have to make your own intake mainfold to accomplish that. Most whipple setup have the supercharger mounted on the side or out of the way, like the kenny belle 5.0L setup.

The second choice would be centrifugal. I am more of a 1/4 mile person, and centrifugals are really good at the track. The other benifit is that they are usually easier to install. If you want to intercool them, they are easier to plumb into an aftercooler or air-air intercooler. I wouldn't be suprised if there is a vortec, paxton, or powerdyne kit available that is a bolt-on. The downside is that they take longer to spool, so you don't have the torque and power off the line that an eaton or whipple will give.

Brian

man i sooo wish that there was a twin screw whipple made for my explorer. that would be sooo great. i would get the best of both worlds without the higher heat involved with the roots blower. and i could get alot better boost at higher rpm's like the centirugal chargers do. oh well i guess i got to make them myself and sell them.(lol) i bet i would have an alright market. hehe oh well i just wish there was a kit or something fairly easily adaptable to my engine.

Has anybody contacted Whipple to see if they could make a kit for the V-8? It looks as though the SC is available in a multitude of snout lengths and if we needed more room an electric fan could be used in place of the OEM clutch type fan. I emailed Flex-a-lite for a electric direct replacement and am awaiting their reply concerning the fan.

I have not contacted Whipple, as they seem to be more interested in supporting the GM and DCX vehicles.

I have contacted Kenne Bell and they said they are not making a kit nor do they plan to. I cannot understand their issue, as it would be reallt pretty simple for them to modify the 94-95 Mustang kit to fit the Explorer accessory drive. O'well. I guess I will need to modify the kit myself!

Would there be a market for these kits ????

Flex-A-Lite said to use the Black Magic 150 but they weren't sure if there's enough clearance between the radiator and water pump as the fan is 4-1/4 inch thick. I would be interested in a Whipple kit if somebody was making one.

although the powerdyne does not have as much down low it make up for that in effencty on the top end. the eaton and twin screw blower are very hot and produce way to much heat. you could just save your self time and money buy a powerdyne put a small pulley on it and get a better torque converter and you would be amazed at how much torque it will have down low. my brother explorer with a 7,000 rpm torque less intake and duel three inch exhaust has more torque at 2 and 3 gran then a kennbell any day of the week. once you mash the gas it starts to make boost instantly there is no delay where there is no torque. even with a 4600 pound truck my brother still has tracktion problems how that for torque with a centralfugal supercharger.

Originally posted by tmsoko
I have not contacted Whipple, as they seem to be more interested in supporting the GM and DCX vehicles.

I have contacted Kenne Bell and they said they are not making a kit nor do they plan to. I cannot understand their issue, as it would be reallt pretty simple for them to modify the 94-95 Mustang kit to fit the Explorer accessory drive. O'well. I guess I will need to modify the kit myself!

Would there be a market for these kits ????
Are you sure about that? I could swear KenneBell had a charger for the 5.0 Explorer, they had a version of the Explorer like the Saleen but it looked no-where near as nice or aggressive. KenneBell has a Twin-Screw for the 02' 4.6 Explorer and most Ford V8's V10's now, I'm pretty sure I saw a 5.0 on there too. Whipple makes a good Twin-Screw also (but yeh for some reason they stick to GM), they do make a Whipple Twin-Screw now for the Ford Triton V8 and V10 also, no 5.0 though.

As for what I like: Twin-Screw all the way, unlike other chargers they hold full boost and torque from almost off idle until redline. When I get my 02' Mounty 4.6 next month I'm looking at the KenneBell Twin-Screw charger along with the normal Mustang 4.6 bolt-ons, gotta find out about what headers will work though.... KenneBell has an 02' Mounty 4.6 that they are using, the twin-screw on there holds peak torque from basically off-idle until redline, instead of the peak torque just being at one area.

kennebell does NOT make a twin-screw for the 5.0 X. they make one for every other ford V-8, but NOT the 5.0 X.

Originally posted by james t
kennebell does NOT make a twin-screw for the 5.0 X. they make one for every other ford V-8, but NOT the 5.0 X.
I think your right, I know I saw the twin-screw for every other V8 but I couldn't remember if I saw it available for the 5.0, kind of a shame cause a twin-screw on the 5.0 would be one heck of a torque machine.

And I made a mistake about the KenneBell Explorer, it was Kenny Brown who had a version of the Explorer like the Saleen, but it did not look as nice or mean as the Saleen. Actually it looked like a mixture of Steeda and other parts, and very fuggly rims. Does Kenny Brown have any affiliation with KenneBell.

I cannot wait to get the KenneBell twin-screw for the 4.6, that will be complete smokin bad azz!:smoke:

EDIT - KenneBell and Whipple both make twin-screw chargers now for the Ford Triton 5.4 and V10 (6.8? brain fart) engines. If there was just a way for the 5.4 or V10 with a charger to fit in an Explorer, you would have basically no traction probably w/ the V10:confused: . Or hell, even the lightning engine w/ the eaton unit, look how fast the Lightnings run, imagine that engine with a smaller pulley and chip in an Explorer, drool....:p

tmsoko, sorry, I meant to say I would be interested in a Kenne bell kit if it could be modified to work on the X. I saw a picture of one on a 94-95 Mustang and the accessory drives are very similar. Would the biggest problem be the crank pulley?

From what I can tell, yes, the crank trigger would be the biggest hurdle. I am going to ick up a 95 Mustang Power Steering bracket this weekend and should be able to compare the component location within a few days. My guess is we could space our Explorer Alternator bracket forward to line up with the 95 Mustang crank pulley and use the 95 mustang powersteering bracket. This would give us the proper mounting for the KB blower. The other unknown is the clearnace to cowl at the rear of the engine. I think we are good there though.

I am patiently saving my pennies. The 2.2L Blowzilla / Flowzilla is $3600 from KB! I want to run the bigger blower due to it running cooler, having more potential down the road, and integral bypass vavle for increased mileage/decreased heat buildup.

It probably won't be for some time that I get this together, unless I find a good used unit soon!

yea, but not for the explorer. still need mucho fab work to get one on an X.

It does list one for the X, check it out.

D-271-11
----------
12/21/99 Kenne Bell, Inc.
-------------------
Supercharger System
-------------------
TS2000 Series, Ford 5.0/4.0L engines 1991-99 Explorer & 1991-99 Ranger Kit includes a Whipple twin screw supercharger, new intake manifold. 6 psi. kit use a 2.785" diameter supercharger pulley.

well ill be d@mned, looks like they have one for the 5.0 and the 4.0 OHV. there you go.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been to that web site before. Don't rely on their info. As you can see it is dated 1999. It also lists a Ford Motorsport Kenne Bell blower. They have never sold a KB. Also, when I called KB regarding the blower for the explorer, they explicitly told me they have never and are not planning a 5.0L Explorer supercharger. Bum deal!

Back