Two Alternators | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Two Alternators

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why would you want to have 2 alternators??

well one tax time comes around we are trading in the van that caught on fire for a new ride... so then this will become more of a toy, thinking of adding a system and some other electronics along with a second battery... i have a space for it, i did an a/c elimination last year so could go there.

personally i would opt to put in a heavier alternator like a 200amp one

im running a 130 from adv auto, only place i can find 200amp is like DB, well ive heard bad things about DB, i had a VERY high output but got rid of it.. plus we use the ex for camping.. so the spare battery would be awesome to run things off of and not worry about the main battery dieing out.

basicly running a second alternator with second battery wont be hard to do as you already have the space to place it, basicy comes down to a little wiring then

i figured i could get a spare sensor from junkyard of off of here, splice it into stock sensor, run a 0gauge from 2nd alternator to the battery in the rear. Ground out the battery in the rear. Use the battery in the rear to run a sub woofer and converters plus lights.. i know it would take a little frame work and all but my main concern is how do i measure out what belt i need and if anyone else has done this

it would be cheaper in the long run to get a high output alt, i have one in my 91 explorer it does 230 amps at 2600 rpm and mine was 407 with tax and all

also im running a 1700 watt rms amp at 1 ohm pullig 60-65 amps at full tillt and my voltage doesnt move and i only have the battery under the hood. and i have a 4 channel aswell, well worth the money

i dont know about cheaper... i can get a 130amp for 125, battery for 125.00, wire, free. sensor 15.00 fab work free

plus how much of a load can one battery and alternator take.. im looking at maybe doing light bar across top, already have lights on front, plus amp in back w/ sub and built in converter.. plus a few other toys.

also im running a 1700 watt rms amp at 1 ohm pullig 60-65 amps at full tillt and my voltage doesnt move and i only have the battery under the hood. and i have a 4 channel aswell, well worth the money

the last system i ran was massive, we took it to comps.. running 2k rms per sub x2 w/ a cap, 4 chann 4k amp. had the 130amp and redtop.. drove that into the ground.

I have seen a fe guys run a second alternator as a welder- for out on the trail-- works well to.

Im running a 1985 Ford F350 1G large case alternator as a welder/generator on my rig.. i used one so old because it has an external regulator i didnt need and its a simple hookup.. im not running an air box so i mounted it out beside my factory alternator. its also a v-drive pulley with an external fan. i just picked up a spare alternator pulley for both alternators and welded the v-drive pulley straight to the front of the factory 6- groove pulley. i mounted the double pulley to the factory alternator and there yea go.. all you have to do is build the bracket for the second alternator about a half inch foward and adjustable and you can run a second v-drive belt.

Im running a 1985 Ford F350 1G large case alternator as a welder/generator on my rig.. i used one so old because it has an external re.....nd alternator about a half inch foward and adjustable and you can run a second v-drive belt.

do you have a pic of yours.. yeah i would love to use a alternator that does straight wiring.

I have 2 alternators and 4 agm batteries under my hood 91 explorer

Back