Two cooling system problems - probably related | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Two cooling system problems - probably related

rickb928

Reaction score
City, State
Gilbert, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 V8 XLT
Sometimes, make myself weep.

Finally my heater control valve disintegrated. Broke it a few months ago and jbwelded it together to get o9ut of walking to the store again during a radiator replace/flush. I shoulda just replaced it, but I thought it would be expensive. It is not.

Two questions:

1. Does anyone have a good picture of the heater hose routing? I'm pretty sure I have the engine hoses reversed. Symptom is during refill it would NOT 'burp' until I turned on the heat, running cold on all hoses and then the gauge rising to H. Then it burped out a lot of coolant, finally settled down. This engine seems very, very hard to burp the cooling system.

2. Very common after a cold start to see the gauge rise 2/3 - 3/4 the way to H and then drop below normal. It seems the thermostat is sticking, but this is the THIRD thermostat to try and solve this problem over the past 3 years. Is this possible a symptom of reversed heater supply hoses, or what? It runs cool enough, sometimes rising a bit on the highway.

Oh, and 3. No matter the heater settings, it doesn't seem the actuator on the heater valve actually moves. What's up with that? A/C and heat work perfectly except for the blend door problem, where I have to cycle the climate control from cold to hot and then cold again, and listen to the blend door creak into position like an old horror movie...:)

It seems a shame to miss something simple and overheat my EX, it's a '95 with 305K on it and really is holding up well enough. I need some good advice here. Phoenix is hard on cooling systems in another month or two, and I don't want to be another blown engine on the 101. Help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was just searching for help with cooling system and saw this thread. Started out with deterioration of heat valve. Replace it and hoses. Then thermostat and water pump. Then new top and bottom radiator hoses. Pressure blew them off. I installed 2 new clamps on each and then replaced thermostat housing. Temperature remains in normal level but when driving it sounds like a loud fan or engine reving noise. Lately, I have been manually transferring from cooling resivoir to radiator and it works for a few days and then I have to do it again. Replace radios cap? At a loss. Will try any ideas

Was just searching for help with cooling system and saw this thread. Started out with deterioration of heat valve. Replace it and hoses. Then thermostat and water pump. Then new top and bottom radiator hoses. Pressure blew them off. I installed 2 new clamps on each and then replaced thermostat housing. Temperature remains in normal level but when driving it sounds like a loud fan or engine reving noise. Lately, I have been manually transferring from cooling resivoir to radiator and it works for a few days and then I have to do it again. Replace radios cap? At a loss. Will try any ideas

I would start by removing the reservoir and cleaning the gunk out. When pressure rises coolant will enter the reservoir fine, but the little debris chunks create a clog which prevents the coolant from going back to the radiator.
You might be able to use a shop vac to get most of the chunks, then remove the overflow hose to allow the small outlet to clean itself by draining. You must achieve a good drain flow for it to operate correctly.

Hope this helps.

Do you have any coolant leaks? Have you done a pressure test?

No leaks and no test. Will do after cleaning resivoir and let you know

What engine do you have? OHV or SOHC? The thread link I have above describes what seems to be a common problem with the OHV engines regarding coolant flow/noises/temperature fluctuations. Maybe you've seen it.

BTW Welcome to the forum!

4.0 is all I know. Has Venezuela VIN since I live in Ecuador. So exact details are hard to research. US dealers cant help and the one dealer here is not much help. Had them change the thermostat housing and they didn't connect the main radiator hose securely. Left me stranded and they done care. Terrible customer service.
Thanks for the welcome

A quick VIN Lookup tells me you have the SOHC.

8XDEU73EX78A20171

EXPLORER - VENEZUELA, Cologne V6 4.0 EFI (SOHC), Bavaro Blue Met/Pearlecent

Primary Features
Build Date: 03.08.2006
Vehicle Line: EXPLORER - VENEZUELA
Body Style: 4 Door Wagon
Engine: Cologne V6 4.0 EFI (SOHC)
Transmission: 5 Speed Auto Transmission 5R55S
Drive: LHD 4WD (PTD)
Axle Ratio: 3.73
Emission: With 49 State/Non Green State Req
Air Conditioning: Manual Air Conditioning
Territory: (+)"VE"
Paint: Bavaro Blue Met/Pearlecent
Minor Features
  • 114"/2896MM Wheelbase
  • XLT
  • Valencia Plant Built
  • 4 Door Wagon
  • 7.5X17" Cast Alloy Mach Bright Whl
  • With 49 State/Non Green State Req
  • Cologne V6 4.0 EFI (SOHC)
  • For Unleaded Fuel
  • With Dual Media MP3/CD Radio
  • Bavaro Blue Met/Pearlecent
  • 5 Speed Auto Transmission 5R55S
  • EXPLORER - VENEZUELA

Not sure where you found the information but thank you. Going to clean the resivoir tonight after work. Will keep ya posted. Thanks.

Not sure where you found the information but thank you. Going to clean the resivoir tonight after work. Will keep ya posted. Thanks.

The Ford ETIS website can pull up some useful info based on your VIN.

http://www.etis.ford.com/

Further, a call to your Ford Dealer parts desk may be helpful. I called mine wanting to know what style of brakes I have on my '13 as there are a few different options for parts. He emailed me a PDF of the build sheet for free.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/ford-build-sheets.466306/

Back