Two issues--HVAC and Steering

thefranchise713

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 Toyota Prius Prime
So, at 56k and ESP, couple of issues I've noticed for tempting fate (see my signature...)

* Intermittently, the steering column lets off a plastic crunch/click noise. This happened once the other evening, and then was repeatable for about 5 minutes in a parking lot this afternoon. Couldn't reproduce beyond. There are no codes stored for PSCM nor SCCM. Today, I had to make tighter right turns to create the noise. The previous evening, it made the sound once returning to center from a left turn. The sound does not seem to affect drivability, and appears to be coming from inside the cabin.

* Rear HVAC won't blow hot air if commanded from the Sync 3 controls--but will blow hot air if commanded from the rear passenger. If I command it manually from the front, there is a blowing air noise (speed is there), but no air ever enters the rear of the cabin. If passenger in rear initiates, all works fine. If I initiate, the problem exists regardless of whether or not the rear passenger's controls have been locked.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had an intermittent clicking in steering wheel. It was the clockspring. Dealership replaced under warranty. Noise gone.

So the noise has been going back and forth, but tonight I heard a motor move on its own. It was either the wheel itself or the pedals, both of which are run through the steering column. But, from what I can tell in the wiring diagrams--neither of those run through the clock spring, only the two sets of buttons on either side of the wheel, the heated element, the horn, paddles, illumination for the switch packs, and the multi stage airbag for the driver's wheel.

My appointment was for next week, but I'm going to have to park it instead until I can get them to review it, hopefully sooner... having this stuff move on it's own could cause an accident. Ugh.

The only motor in the column area is the power adjustable pedals motor, if equipped. The electronic power assist for the steering is on the EPAS rack itself.

My earlier comment regarding clockspring was based on the clicking noise which I had.

Understood--I had suspected the clockspring as well but didn't verbalize it until you brought it up yesterday. Did you have any other symptoms when your clockspring went? Did any controls malfunction?

I know I heard a motor but can't explain it. Both the power adjustable pedals switch and electronic column switch are on the left side, neither tied to the clockspring. But I don't think I felt the wheel move, not sure about the pedals--might have been coasting at extremely low speed at the time. I was just about to put away the car for the night. Which, ironically, is when all the symptoms seem to get at their worst. Maybe it doesn't like the garage I provide it each night?

Ungrateful car! :D

Now, if the clockspring isn't at fault... what else could it be? The dealer did a quick visual today to see if anything was smacking/interfering with the shaft--nothing, but the vibration could be felt throughout it.

My clockspring didn't fail functionally. It was clicking under the steering wheel when I turned the wheel or unwinding after a turn. I suspect the ribbon cable was hanging up somewhere. Ribbon cable is made of plastic. And you are correct - it is the connector to the horn, steering wheel controls and air bag.

Vibration through the column...EPAS rack is connected to column shaft. May be related cause. Dealer should be able figure it out. You still under warranty or ESP? Opps.. you already stated ESP.

The only motor in the column area is the power adjustable pedals motor, if equipped.
What about the motor for the steering column adjustment?

Peter

I forgot about column motor.. I'm one of those set it and forget it.

Peter recommended me to your thread because I am experiencing a "click" sound when I turn (sometimes). I can't watch your video, would you mind taking a look at my video and seeing if it is the same sound?

Random new noise in steering column

whatever came of your issue?

Good memory, @peterk9!

Mine was user error. I had the FMC shock sensor mounted under the dash, somehow it became dislodged and began hitting the column just right. We remounted it and it was gone. That was an aftermarket Ford accessory add, so likely not your problem.

Back