• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Two of the biggest bikes you'll see...

mattadams

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Longmont, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
The scale is probably hard to tell from the photo, but trust me, these are two of the biggest bikes you'll probably ever see... but I need big bikes, since I'm 6' 8" :).
twobikes.jpg

The Giant Mountain Bike is a 25" frame, and I was actually able to find it in a bike shop, but only one bike shop in Denver had the size, and they only had one. I'm sure they saw me coming in and said "oh please let him pick the yellow one" LOL. It's a Giant Yukon, nothing too special but it has disk brakes front and rear and at one point had clip pedals (but since I was using it more for just biking around town, I decided to go back to standard pedals so I wouldn't need special shoes).

The Trek is the latest addition and I've just started riding it fairly regularly. It has a 64cm frame and I had to special order it, it's the largest manufactured (non-custom) size I could find and the seat is just high enough that the people at the bike shop were uncomfortable about it going any higher than it is... luckily it fits me. Its the Trek 1.5 that I had upgraded with Shimano 105 shifters and a Shimano Ultegra rear derailer. I've also got speedplay pedals on it.

If you are curious, finding road bike shoes was a big challenge. I wear size 15 and road bike shoes come in metric size... which I've discovered are not very consistent. I have 48's I used to use on my mountain bike, but the Pearl Izumi 49s I bought didn't fit... I ended up getting a good deal on some sidi size 51 shoes and they are slightly too big, but work just fine so I'll stick with them :).

My goal is to do a triathlon this summer. Not like an ironman or anything but there are several triathlons around here that are shorter distances, like a 10 mile bike ride, running a 5k, and swimming 25 lengths. First one is coming up in June and I don't think I'll have any problem being prepared for it :). Also possibly being talked into a Bike for MS (multiple sclerosis) in June that is a two-day ride around 150 miles... so that should be interesting.

I'm down 50 pounds since last year... mostly thanks to running and watching what I eat... now add biking in and I'll be an even more fit, lean machine!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
..Congrats on finding the bike(s) in your size and the loss of the 50 pounds..:biggthump

..Looking at the pictures it appears the top of the seat is approx. 45" off the ground..:eek:

..I could almost walk thru that frame..:p:

mattadams

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Longmont, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
...what is funny is anytime I've taken the bikes in to have work done on them, the mechanics normally give a quick spin to make sure its working or whatever... and watching them just try to get on to the bike is funny... most realize they couldn't possibly ride it and they give up :). The added bonus is that I don't have to worry about some punk kid trying to ride off with my bike... they probably won't even be able to reach the pedals without racking their nuts! :)

Not sure exactly the height of the seat from the ground, but when I was doing a basic fit for the bike, they had an inseam measurement thing that basically you ride up into your crotch. If I remember right, my measurement was about 99cm, which was "off the charts" for fit, LOL.

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
..Haha...I'd be in the back building a ramp and stacking blocks on the pedals..:hammer:

..Best of luck on your mini-Tri's and please post pics and progress of your training and the meets as inspiration for the rest of us..:D

:scratch:...I had to look it up and I'm guessing that measurement is on the bike to the pedal (not to the ground)

1 inch = 2.54 cm

So 99 cm
= 99 / 2.54
= approx. 38.98 inches

mattadams

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Longmont, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
...I think it was the "standover" height so when you are standing with your feet on the ground, where does the frame of the bike come up to... in order to prevent you from racking yourself, I suppose (though to be fair I've already given myself at least one decent racking already, when I thought I was clipped in and I wasn't, LOL).

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
...Ouch....haha...:bsnicker:

AspenX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Garland, TX Aspen,Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EB 4x4,04 Z06 Corvette
I am glad you could finally find some rides to fit you. I have XTR mountain bike pedals on both of my mountain bikes, and my Merlin road bike so only 1 pair of shoes.

HiImBrian

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St. Petersburg, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Matt I totally understand what you went through. I'm 6'7" and now 200lbs (was 235 two and a half months ago) and it took me FOREVER to find a bike big enough. Finally found one at a used bike shop for 60$ but someone had taken a rattle can to it. Bought it anyways, as I wasn't sure if I could get into it.

Turns out it was an old high-end Schwinn with aftermarket gears, brakes, handlebars, etc. Had it sandblasted and powder coated white, and brought it back to show the guy I bought it from who immediately offered me 300$ for it. I've since had offers of up to 500$ for it and smiled when I turned them down.

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4

HiImBrian

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St. Petersburg, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Wow. I can't even imagine spending that much money on a bicycle.