Two phones via Bluetooth?

jspeer

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Limited Explorer
Very happy with the new ex. Unfortunately it's
Y wife's car and I don't get to drive it near as much as I want. Anyway my question is with the bluetooth. We have both our iPhones synced. Hers is the primary phone. I make it a habit of turning off my Bluetooth when we are both in The car but is that necessary? Not sure what happens if she is on the phone and I get a call. Most her calls are business ao don't want to risk it. I would like to keep hers connected and mine also so I can play songs from mine.

Anyway does anyone know how it works if two phones are connected at the same time? Our MFT has frozen twice and had to pull fuse to get it back. Not fond of that since the fuse box is hidden like a damn prize. Didn't want to freeze it up again with both phones connected.

Appreciate any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was told only one phone can be connected via BT to MFT. My girlfriend has her phone setup in MFT and mine connects by default. When she gets in her phone does not connect. We would have to override MFT to have hers connected. Hope that helps.

You can set one as a favorite, I believe that takes preference. I have my ipad paired as well, and having a phone connected and a 2nd media device connected does not function well. Audio skips like crazy. As soon as the phone is disconnected, audio works fine.

My wife's BB is paired up to the MFT and the car always tries to connect to it. I have to wait until it fails and then I manually connect my iPhone via MFT. It's recognized but always tries to connect to her BB first.

You can set the priority on the paired device list within MFT. You can also make your phones "ask" you before them connect.

Thanks for the responses and I understand the priority and manually conencting but I am not that familiar with bluetooth technology and just don't know if two phones can be paired via bluetooth simultaneously...I'd like to use mine for music while her is paired for phone calls...not sure bluetooth allows that...I guess there is only one way to find out.

Hey everyone!

You can have numerous phones paired to your vehicle but only one will be connected at a time via Bluetooth. The system will look for the phone that is set as favorite or primary (depending on if you have SYNC or MFT) and try to connect. If it doesn't find the main phone, it will move on to the look for the other paired phones or allow you to manually connect your phone.

robr2,

If you're the primary user of your Explorer, I suggest making your phone the favorite so MFT will look for yours first.

jspeer,

As long as your wife has her phone paired and connected to MFT, you don't have to turn your Bluetooth off. It'll stay connected to her phone for all calls unless you change it manually.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any other questions! :)

Rebecca

now I know...thanks for the feedback

jspeer,

One phone for media and the other for phone calls will work! I thought you were referring to both phones being connected to make calls. Here's how:

Go into the Bluetooth settings/options of the iPhone and turn off the media profile; then on your phone, turn off the phone profile.

Voilà: two phones connected! :)

Rebecca

jspeer,

One phone for media and the other for phone calls will work! I thought you were referring to both phones being connected to make calls. Here's how:

Go into the Bluetooth settings/options of the iPhone and turn off the media profile; then on your phone, turn off the phone profile.

Voilà: two phones connected! :)

Rebecca

Rebecca, I just tried this on my 11 Explorer and I do not see the settings you mentioned. I have yet to see anything along the lines of a phone and media profile. Could I be missing it? Thanks.

Rebecca, I just tried this on my 11 Explorer and I do not see the settings you mentioned. I have yet to see anything along the lines of a phone and media profile. Could I be missing it? Thanks.

She is referring to on the phone itself, but the iphone doesn't allow you to turn off certain bt profiles.

robr2,

If you're the primary user of your Explorer, I suggest making your phone the favorite so MFT will look for yours first.

My wife is the primary user so we'll leave her BB as the primary.

To the OP - instead of trying to listen to music over the BT, why not just plug your phone in via the auxilary or USB connection?

As harlenm stated, this is in the phone, not MFT.

She is referring to on the phone itself, but the iphone doesn't allow you to turn off certain bt profiles.

Thanks, harlenm! As you can tell, I'm a Droid user LOL! I walked down to a co-workers desk to looked at his iPhone and you're right!

My wife is the primary user so we'll leave her BB as the primary.

To the OP - instead of trying to listen to music over the BT, why not just plug your phone in via the auxilary or USB connection?

Great idea, robr2!

Which phone do you have, jspeer? That might give us all a better understanding of your in-vehicle setup.

Wife had iPhone 3GS and I have iPhone 4. I don't have any cables to connect directly and was hoping not to spend anymore money if I could get Bluetooth to work.

Wife had iPhone 3GS and I have iPhone 4. I don't have any cables to connect directly and was hoping not to spend anymore money if I could get Bluetooth to work.

Of course you do, its the cable you charge the phone with. And you can get a spare at any electronics store for just a few bucks.

My previous car a 2007 Infiniti, allowed me to have multiple phones set up with Bluetooth and out of these one was set as the default. What I could do at anytime was select a different phone by simply Issuing a voice command "telephone select x" where x was the phone I wanted to switch to.

It's quite frustrating to have had a car built in 2006 that had pretty much flawless technology including navigation, Bluetooth support ...etc. and to then get a 2012 Ford with MFT that freezes, responds when it feels like it and works half as good as what I had and that was put together 5 years ago I would have expected the MFT to have been a far better system.

As an aside, I flew through a red light just trying to get an address into the darn navigation system. The voice command response was laughable and fidgetting with the screen very distracting. As luck would have it the light I passed was a camera guarded one. I'm waiting for the ticket to arrive. Thanks Ford.

Back