Two questions: production numbers and finding used parts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Two questions: production numbers and finding used parts

mhallack

Reaction score
City, State
Rockland, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I figured to save some space :) and ask both of these on one thread.

1st generation production numbers. Is there a good place to look up production numbers on 1st generation by year and model? Basically only asking because earlier today I saw a 1st. Gen Explorer Sport Eddie Bauer edition. I never seen one of these much less thought any existed in the Sport model (obviously I've seen them in the 4 door models) and wondering how many were made.

Second question: Has anyone else had a hard time finding used parts for their Explorer, any year or model? Basically I've been searching for a good used brake rotor (passenger side brake rotor is grooved due to stuck brake caliper) I can find new easy enough, and in all honestly I can afford it, but I'm still on a really tight budget and try to buy good used or reconditioned when I can. But it seems like NOBODY within a 50 mile radius has any used Explorer parts. And not just the brakes either (of course I will be getting new shoes and caliper) But wondering if anyone else has a hard time finding good used Explorer parts.

Ford Motor company does not save the information for the number of vehicles produced at each trim level, only for the numbers of each chassis code of vehicle produced. In other words, all you can get is the number of 4 door and 2 door produced each year unless some outside source tracked all the information themselves.

Finding used parts is wicked easy. These were the most popular SUV produced in America at the time by far. Getting used brake parts.... well finding good ones is going to be a lot harder to do than most other parts. Take your rotor down to someone who can machine your brakes and have them check if it is still thick enough to machine a smooth surface onto it. Otherwise, you can check the classifieds and get a member to ship you one. I might have a couple good rotors left, you would need to have them turned to knock the rust off, and shipping would cost a bit.... You can also check e-bay, you can find rotors pretty cheap if you shop around.

Check www.rockauto.com. Search on this site for a discount code. They are already super cheap as it is, but, if you are on a tight budget, you may be able to get the calipers, rotors, pads and bearings on rockauto for as much or less than you are paying for just your calipers locally. Check it out, I buy hundreds of dollars in parts from there every month.

I have searched around a whole bunch of used parts places near where I live in approximatly a 50 mile radius, and seems like nobody has anything for an Explorer. I'm also looking for a spare wheel as the one we bought didn't have one. I know I can do Ebay but I will check Rockauto too. Shipping will probably be the problem, which the price of the unit and shipping will be the same as a new rotor. But will bookmark Rockauto for any other discount parts.

The 5% discount posted on this forum usually takes care of what you are paying for shipping if you can get parts that are all shipped from the same location.

Back