• Register Today It's free!

Two studs broken, others bent

casiodave

Reaction score
City, State
Newington, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB/XLT
I was off roading a bit and heard a stragen niose. Thought it was a stone or bad beraing. Got home and had 2 studs sheared off, other bent. Help! I have no idea how to continue. Are the studs part of the hub/rotor? I'm going to try to take brake/rotor off and see. Can I buy new studs? Do I need a new rotor or hub? Pic Here:
oh-no.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can punch or press out the studs. A press is by far the easiest way to do it. If you bring the rotor in to a garage and they can set you up with some new studs very inexpensively.

What kind of wheel were you running?

now whay

Ok rotor is off. So how do those studs come off? Do I remove the spindle and take it somewhere? Bang them out? They look pressed in. BTW: It's a 96 EB. Deep dish chrome 16" (one now toast). Pic so far:
rotor-off.jpg

Yea, you should be able to pull that spindle off and then knock those studs right through if I remember correctly. Have you tried to pull that spindle the rest of the way off? Is there enough room behind that if you took a hammer and knocked those studs through that you would be able to put in new ones the same way?

Isn't the hub flange integral with the axle shaft? There's no spindle - it's the rear axle here. In that case, you'll have to take out the entire shaft if a press won't fit.

It's the rear axle so all you need to do is pound out the old lugs, they will come out with out removing the axle shaft or parking brake pads. Get 5 new ones and an extra lug nut and about 3 washers. You can feed the new studs in between the axle shaft and parking brake pads, it's a pita ass but i've done it. once you get a stud in place place the washers on the stud and use the lug nut to pull the new stud into place. It's tough to do, so you might need a breaker bar or at least a length of pipe and a good ratchet. good luck.

That's a pretty good idea.

i wouldn't get a lig nut i woudl go get an actual nut from a hardware store. My stock for lugs kept stripping out doing that. I got a good nut and it worked great

Doug said:
It's the rear axle so all you need to do is pound out the old lugs, they will come out with out removing the axle shaft or parking brake pads. Get 5 new ones and an extra lug nut and about 3 washers. You can feed the new studs in between the axle shaft and parking brake pads, it's a pita ass but i've done it. once you get a stud in place place the washers on the stud and use the lug nut to pull the new stud into place. It's tough to do, so you might need a breaker bar or at least a length of pipe and a good ratchet. good luck.

yup, best way to do it, and an impact wrench works great for pulling the stud through as well if you don't wanna do it by hand, but be careful to not strip it while doing so

doug

You dah man!
Pounded out w/o problems. I had already removed the parking brake assembly for the space. I'm off to the stores to find studs and lug nuts. Many thanks.
Now to find a deep dish chrome wheel to a 96 EB.

No prob, good luck getting them back in, that's the fun part.

This too late to help your problem, I would have said what Doug said.

That problem is usually caused by one or more of your lug nuts being loose.
The weight of your truck ends up being supported by the studs instead of the axle boss as well as the twisting motion will break your studs one at a time.

I know it' an old-ass thread, but I just wanted to mention that if you cut off the tip of the new stud, It'll go much easier putting on the axle mount.

Back