• Register Today It's free!

Two types of rearview camera?

baxterdown

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
I drove a 2011 Explorer Limited last week. The rearview camera had not only the static guides, but also a second set of guides that moved left and right as I turned the steering wheel.

Today, I drove a 2011 Explorer XLT with nav. The rearview camera only had the static guides (I checked to make sure the second set wasn't turned off or something).

Are there two types of rearview camera systems on the 2011 Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting detail. I should have my XLT in ~2 weeks so I can let you know.

My XLT only has the "static" guides, and does not move around. I have played with the settings a decent amount, so I don't think I've missed that option.

backup camera

I think if you get the tow package you get different guides on the screen to line up a trailers.

The guides in the the link above are the standard Ford guides. I have those in my Flex. These were moving guides ala BMW, Audi, etc.

I stopped by a dealer today to look at another Limited. It had no guides. The Limited I looked at today had the tow package.

It would be great if someone can take a look at a Limited without tow package and see if it has the moving guides.

I found the answer:

The moving lines come with the park assist option on the limited. Same camera, but it takes into account the angle of the front wheels, and displays the projected path.

I found the answer:

The moving lines come with the park assist option on the limited. Same camera, but it takes into account the angle of the front wheels, and displays the projected path.

That makes sense. Thanks for the heads up.

Where did you hear that?

The link I posted says it's on the MyFordTouch screen, if equipped.

I don't remember where I heard that it is on the rearview mirror otherwise, so I guess I'm not 100% sure. Chances are that someone getting a base model wouldn't spring for the camera anyways.

The link I posted says it's on the MyFordTouch screen, if equipped.

I don't remember where I heard that it is on the rearview mirror otherwise, so I guess I'm not 100% sure. Chances are that someone getting a base model wouldn't spring for the camera anyways.

I was wondering because from what I've read you can only get it with the MyFordTouch dealio. And that's too bad because my mom would probably get the rearview camera without MyFordTouch if it came that way.

They should have that option, since the car has such terrible rear visibility through the back.

Even my friend's Tacoma has a rearview mirror camera, and the truck is pretty basic.

Nissan has been doing this for some time as well as Lexus. It doesn't have an actual camera that moves just the computer reads the amount of turn there is in the wheel itself and calculates the path of the vehicle.

I read recently where some congressmen was trying to get rear-view cameras as required/standard equipment on 2014+ vehicles or something.

I read recently where some congressmen was trying to get rear-view cameras as required/standard equipment on 2014+ vehicles or something.

I saw that as well. I don't like mandates that cost the consumer more money, but rear view cameras are at least useful, especially for hooking up to a trailer.

Back