Type of engine question

intheric

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer 4WD
Greeting everyone!

im about to take my 99 explorer into the shop to get the cat replaced, along with the muffler and the tail pipe. After fighting with the delivery people for a week I finally have all my parts and now I’m thinking something isn’t right.

this is why I say this.

I ran the VIN number through a couple sites to make sure I was getting the correct parts. I’m not entirely sure style/trim this car exactly is. I bought it from the original owners daughter and she didn’t know much of anything. I’ve seen anywhere from the Eddie Bauer edition to the XL to the sport utility edition. There are no marking on the back too. But everything else matched up along with the description of the engine

1999 Ford Truck Explorer 4WD 4.0L MFI OHV 6cyl

The tail pipe was the last to come in. And it doesn’t look right. So I get my vin and run it again. One website that I don’t remember using comes back all the information, but saying it’s a SOHC, which now makes everything I ordered wrong as it had a boatload of different parts for the Eddie Bauer XL style. The other sites come back with the other info that I got before.

but this tail pipe is all kinds of bent and looks like it would be on the drivers side and not the passenger side by the way it hangs. I’ve attached pics. I’m not able to get under it yet to take pics of the original thing. But from what I remember it looked like a straight pipe that ran down the back of the passenger side.

guess my question is, how can I tell exactly what I have (trim, engine, all that stuff) and need using my VIN. I’ve spent 500 plus and don’t want to deal with having to return all this stuff.

Thanks for your help!!

(I’m not going to put my vin out online just because not sure what one can really do with it. But I can PM it or email if need)

*edit* I found the manual link for the car on here and the U34 vehicle line, series and body type isn’t listed in the manual. But there is an X that lists it as 4.0L, EFI, OHV, six cylinder so the parts are fine but the tail pipe wigs me out still

Attachments

• 8CED32A8-3550-44AE-AE83-BBCAD51E4C76.jpeg
    8CED32A8-3550-44AE-AE83-BBCAD51E4C76.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 279D745A-3D84-40A2-B7FE-7C457067852C.png
    279D745A-3D84-40A2-B7FE-7C457067852C.png
    310.9 KB · Views: 98
  • EDA8E91E-9D06-43B3-B92D-5A2915BA8389.jpeg
    EDA8E91E-9D06-43B3-B92D-5A2915BA8389.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 86
  • F66B13A7-19D4-49A2-AFC7-EF36E50677F5.jpeg
    F66B13A7-19D4-49A2-AFC7-EF36E50677F5.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 85

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The exhaust will be same for OHV and SOHC, at least for the cat back portion.

I never understood why people were so protective of their VIN. Anyone in the world could grab it off your vehicle any day of the week, without even opening the car.

What’s your 8th digit of your VIN?

edit: you have the OHV as you’ve added.

The tailpipe looks pretty standard. Good luck getting it in there. It’s quite the puzzle. You might have to get the vehicle up in the air pretty good. I’ve had to remove the rear swaybar links to get it all jammed up in there.

I’ve got a mechanic doing the work. Hindsight I should have had him there as I was ordering parts on my phone.

I don’t know what other information the vin Can also hold outside make style all that. But here’s the first couple digits 1FMZU34X0XUC

I’ve got a mechanic doing the work. Hindsight I should have had him there as I was ordering parts on my phone.

I don’t know what other information the vin Can also hold outside make style all that. But here’s the first couple digits 1FMZU34X0XUC
There is less in these characters than you may think. Except for the obvious:
U34: 4-door Explorer, 4x4
X: 4.0L OHV
0: no meaning
X: 1999
U: Assembled by Louisville, KY plant (like all of them)
The remaining digits are just a serial number

Look at your door sticker for more details, like transmission, springs, paint, rear axle, etc.
There is no trim level information in any of those. The trim (XLS, XLT, Eddie Bauer or Limited) is a badge that should have been affixed to the rear door. But there is nothing in the trim information that you can't see - it's about upholstery, manual or automatic climate control, how fancy the radio is, and so on. There are sites were one can submit the complete VIN and get the full "as built" information, with every detail listed, but to the best of my knowledge, they are only open by subscription to pros. If you are really curious, your friendly Ford dealer can certainly extract all that - and more, like warranty service performed.

There is less in these characters than you may think. Except for the obvious:
U34: 4-door Explorer, 4x4
X: 4.0L OHV
0: no meaning
X: 1999
U: Assembled by Louisville, KY plant (like all of them)

Look at your door sticker for more details, like transmission, springs, paint, rear axle, etc.
There is no trim level information in any of those. The trim (XLS, XLT, Eddie Bauer or Limited) is a badge that should have been affixed to the rear door. But there is nothing in the trim information that you can't see - it's about upholstery, manual or automatic climate control, how fancy the radio is, and so on. There are sites were one can submit the complete VIN and get the full "as built" information, with every detail listed, but to the best of my knowledge, they are only open by subscription to pros. If you are really curious, your friendly Ford dealer can certainly extract all that - and more, like warranty service performed.
Ok thanks!! This helps me think that I got the right parts then. Tomorrow I’ll be able to get under the truck and see if this tail pipe is the right one. I made sure that I got everything that “goes with” each other for the cat and the tail pipe and the muffler. I don’t know much about cars and now that my dads gone I tried doing my research right since he can’t check things over.

thanks again. I’ll update tomorrow if anything is different

Should be fine. That isn’t the SOHC or V8 tailpipe, so it must be the OHV unless they totally gooned up.

Guys -

For parts I use ROCK AUTO's excellent online catalog..

But for Exhaust Systems,: Walker Exhaust, an OEM Manufacturer, has an excellent & very easy to use online catalog.

What I like is that it "lays out" your vehicle's exhaust system in one big picture, and shows you every gasket, nut, bolt, pipe, flange, muffler, resonator and converter that makes up your vehicle exhaust system.

While looking at the "complete" picture you then click on the part you're looking for, and it opens up another window to give you a bigger picture and more complete description.

And for those of us in the PRK, it has a special PRK sub-section for Catalytic Converters.

LINK: Exhaust Parts Lookup | Walker Exhaust Systems

Hope that helps!

I bought all Walker parts. Again following the diagram of what went with what. But I’ll check out the web site when I get some time. Thanks again for the info!!

Greeting everyone!

im about to take my 99 explorer into the shop to get the cat replaced, along with the muffler and the tail pipe. After fighting with the delivery people for a week I finally have all my parts and now I’m thinking something isn’t right.

this is why I say this.

I ran the VIN number through a couple sites to make sure I was getting the correct parts. I’m not entirely sure style/trim this car exactly is. I bought it from the original owners daughter and she didn’t know much of anything. I’ve seen anywhere from the Eddie Bauer edition to the XL to the sport utility edition. There are no marking on the back too. But everything else matched up along with the description of the engine

1999 Ford Truck Explorer 4WD 4.0L MFI OHV 6cyl

The tail pipe was the last to come in. And it doesn’t look right. So I get my vin and run it again. One website that I don’t remember using comes back all the information, but saying it’s a SOHC, which now makes everything I ordered wrong as it had a boatload of different parts for the Eddie Bauer XL style. The other sites come back with the other info that I got before.

but this tail pipe is all kinds of bent and looks like it would be on the drivers side and not the passenger side by the way it hangs. I’ve attached pics. I’m not able to get under it yet to take pics of the original thing. But from what I remember it looked like a straight pipe that ran down the back of the passenger side.

guess my question is, how can I tell exactly what I have (trim, engine, all that stuff) and need using my VIN. I’ve spent 500 plus and don’t want to deal with having to return all this stuff.

Thanks for your help!!

(I’m not going to put my vin out online just because not sure what one can really do with it. But I can PM it or email if need)

*edit* I found the manual link for the car on here and the U34 vehicle line, series and body type isn’t listed in the manual. But there is an X that lists it as 4.0L, EFI, OHV, six cylinder so the parts are fine but the tail pipe wigs me out still
bigest difference in 99 there was a 2d which is shorter than 4 door. and with parts sometimes theres 2 numbers for same one . and just because a part numbers on it dosent always mean its the correct number . so you do have to compare numbers good luck

bigest difference in 99 there was a 2d which is shorter than 4 door. and with parts sometimes theres 2 numbers for same one . and just because a part numbers on it dosent always mean its the correct number . so you do have to compare numbers good luck
2 doors were available 91-2003.

Got my truck back today and it’s running better then ever. Thanks everyone for your help in answering my questions.

Excellent. :thumbsup:

Back