U-Haul hitch - part # 78166 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

U-Haul hitch - part # 78166

When I was calling around town for a Hidden Hitch model 70647, just about every dealer told me they could get them in but that I should contact U-Haul. Everyone claimed that U-Haul make a Hidden Hitch clone that is the same thing for a lot less.

.... so I called U-Haul and now have a 78166.

It's hideous. It will be coming off. My nice black Limited has a 4" black (and silver where it has no paint) pipe hanging below the bumper. It does not tuck up under the bumper like the Hidden Hitch and it does not curve much with the spare tire like the Hidden Hitch.

Now I'm going to do what I should have done in the first place. I'm going to order a 70647, rip this eyesore off my X, and put on the far more attractive Hidden Hitch unit.

.... just a cautionary note to anyone who is told the same story. U-Haul does not sell a clone of Hidden Hitch. They aren't even that similar.

Yes, as was said- Cequent produces Hidden Hitch, Draw-Tite, and Reese in the same plant, they are same hitch re-stickered.

Back