U-Joint Job | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

U-Joint Job

burning_soul07

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
Can I replace the u-joints (wheel JointS) on both front sides without removing the spindle thru the access holes there?

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

wood1

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
North of Edmonton
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT, Cayman Green RIP
if you mean the inner on the passenger side, you can torch it out and put a new one with a press

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

burning_soul07

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
I have everything I need for the job, except the press. I plan on either renting one or borrowing my friends, if his works for my application, I had sprayed them with lube to get them thru the winter, but now its warming up in my area and I am a little weary about messing with the passenger side because of the clamp thats on there.

So, when I sprayed them with lube, I remember there being access holes on both the sides, but I dont know if I could fit the press in the area there to do them without taking it apart.

I am all for it, but all I plan on doing is the u-joints. I already tried to get the spindle off the drivers side once, and I have heard of people having problems getting it off. I am pretty sure the u-joints that are on there are factory so I bet the spindle hasn't been touched sice factory also.

I also plan on doing new wheel bearings, lock nuts, rotor and brake pads, the hubs are new.

MrShorty

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spanish Fork, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
I haven't tried. It might be possible. However, IMO, you'll probably spend more time and effort wrestling with it on the vehicle, than you would have spent wrestling with the spindle to get it off. Most will come off "relatively" easy with the right tool (maybe a slide hammer or a bigger hammer).

burning_soul07

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
No biggie, I can do it all... Can anyone tell me what I need for thay "Keystone" Clamp that is on the passenger side that I need to take off and replace in order to get that side out? That is my only other worry.