• Register Today It's free!

u joint to cv shaft please help

94explorer13

Reaction score
City, State
Wallingford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer
I have a 94 ford explorer and it has the u joint style axles in the front end and I'm wondering if there is a CV shaft I could use instead off having to go buy the whole u joint assembly

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A u-joint is < $20.. Which u-joint is bad?

Once you pull the axle shaft out you can change them using a hammer and a few sockets if you don't have another way to do it..

~Mark

Edit: Also, don't post the same message in multiple forums. I deleted the dupes and moved this one to the 91-94 stock forum.... BTW.. WELCOME!!

I know how to change the u joints its the driver front but when the u joint went it exploded and it broke the shaft its self so I would have to to replace the whole thing not just the u joint now I know with my jeep the only place I could find one was the dealer and it was 400 so I jut went to the part store and got a CV shaft for a Cherokee and it fit so I was wondering if there was a cv shaft that would work for these explorers

LMC truck has the axle shafts BUT you might as well get one from a junk yard for $35 and toss in a new u-joint..

You could always go custom if you want but thats going the wrong way in price..

And to your other question. . No, I've never seen or hear of anyone replacing the TTB D35 front shafts with one with a CV joint.

~Mark

btw.. the driver side is the much easier shaft to replace.. No c-clip holding it into the pumkin.. I can change one out in about 30 minutes now, including getting it in the air.

Back