• Register Today It's free!

U-Joints

Xplorer92

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT/'00 Jeep Wrangler
How many people with lifted 1st gen. Explorers have blown their U-joints.
I had to learn the hard way that AutoZone PDQ U-joints suck ass, as well as Brute Force. I have a '92 X w/ 13.5"s of lift and 35" muds. I have only had this lift on my X for about a year now and I have gone thru about 3 sets of U-joints, I have had my driveshaft extended and everything. Recently I was hauling ass down the highway and my driveshaft broke off the yoke that connects to the T-case and my drive shaft ate pavement for about 30 yards or so before I was able to pull over safely. I pulled the rear shaft off and creeped in front wheel drive to the nearest exit. The next day I had a new driveshaft built with Spicer U-joints w/ grease fitting on them, installed it drove to my regular offroad shop and had my pinion angle checked immediately. It passed with flying colors on the pinion angle check, and was praised by the 4 wheel drive experts for having spicer U-joints installed. Also I was told to grease them every oil change, and as God as my wittness I will grease them from now every oil change if not even more often especially after offroading. I'm sure the PDQ, and Brute Force brand U-joints are good for bone stock Explorers, but if you're going to beef it up especially with a lift and big tires I highly recommend a higher grade U-joint, and a pinion angle check. If anyone one has some feedback, suggestions on this topic, please fell free to post away on my thread, hopefully we can help other fellow X enthusiast prevent this problem.

Thanks for taking the time to read my blab :)

spicer is the way to go, although i cannot find a spicer dealer for the life of me.

i too bought brute force and i think they are junk.

im about to try PRECISION Superstrength ujoints from NAPA.

Back