U.S. Expands Probe Into Ford Explorers Over Carbon Monoxide Concerns | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

U.S. Expands Probe Into Ford Explorers Over Carbon Monoxide Concerns

I’m curious as to what code(s) will be present for damaged exhaust manifold.

Questions: Does anyone know how many Interceptor Explorers are in service in Canada? Is this issue present in Canada as well? All I’ve seen are issues in the US.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there a pattern as to this happening? Does it happen on all Explorers? The reason I ask is we have a 2017 XLT with the 2.3 EB and after over 10,000 miles so far it has not happened. I personally drove it 3,600 miles recently under all sorts of conditions, idle to full throttle and never experienced any exhaust smell or effects from CO which is odorless.

Whimsey

I had a 2015 Explorer Limited and never smelled it. Put 43000 + on it. My son has the same vehicle and has smelled it. I now have a 2017 Explorer XLT and in 2000 miles have not noticed any odor yet. (Knock on wood).

I had a 2015 Explorer Limited and never smelled it. Put 43000 + on it. My son has the same vehicle and has smelled it. I now have a 2017 Explorer XLT and in 2000 miles have not noticed any odor yet. (Knock on wood).

Just today here in MA a police officer in Auburn passed out and crashed due to poisoning....this is getting bad...

Anyone have a good link for a decent/cheap detector? I am starting to get worried because my exhaust smell has been getting worse.

Yup, just saw it on the news about Auburn. They said they measured it and they measured as high as 40PPM.

Engineers from Ford will be at the PD tonight or tomorrow. Anybody want to take a ride down there?

Do you and your son drive the Explorers in the exact same manner? Meaning does either one of you drive them occasionally at wide open throttle and maybe the other driver does not?

I think this problem is semi complex, especially regarding untreated carbon monoxide. Unquestionably the police interceptors are driven hard and taken to their limits, so if there is faulty exhaust manifold with holes or gasket leaks they would be first to figure this out vs civilian Explorers who don't drive their Explorers to the limit. Perhaps this untreated carbon monoxide enters the police interceptor cabins through leaks caused by modifications or maybe through leaks in the cabin that all Explorers have, not sure. The public really needs to understand what is going on conclusively soon because if there are faulty manifolds/gaskets or exhaust leaks in the engine bay and untreated carbon monoxide can infiltrate the cabin from the engine bay, civilian owners could discover this same issue if and/or when they have to drive their Explorers at wide open throttle or when they drive their vehicles to the limit. No one wants to own a vehicle that cannot be driven safely at wide open throttle even for emergency purposes only.

As far as treated exhaust out of the tail pipe with much lower concentrations of carbon monoxide, I'm in hopes that's a vacuum issue that will eventually be taken care of in the near term with sealant modifications and/or ventilation fixes.

The last possibility is that both treated and untreated exhaust emissions are entering the cabin from the rear and elsewhere throughout the body where natural cabin leaks exist.

And soon will be lawsuits regarding the value of our Explorer's values tanking even though it is a very small quantity of them. Public perception vs reality is just not the same. I drive mine very heavily and have 2 kids in the middle row. We use the HVAC all the time and haven't had any issues. 115,000 miles and still going strong.

And soon will be lawsuits regarding the value of our Explorer's values tanking even though it is a very small quantity of them. Public perception vs reality is just not the same. I drive mine very heavily and have 2 kids in the middle row. We use the HVAC all the time and haven't had any issues. 115,000 miles and still going strong.

Unfortunately, for all of us owners of fifth generation Explorers, public perception is reality.

Yup, just saw it on the news about Auburn. They said they measured it and they measured as high as 40PPM.

Engineers from Ford will be at the PD tonight or tomorrow. Anybody want to take a ride down there?

Tempted to drive mine down there. Not too far of a ride.

Yeah I wanted to trade my 16 XLT lease for a 17 Limited but this might make that even less realistic, I'm already upside down on it because it's lost 35% of it's value in the first year already.

Yeah I wanted to trade my 16 XLT lease for a 17 Limited but this might make that even less realistic, I'm already upside down on it because it's lost 35% of it's value in the first year already.
You might be better off waiting for the current lease to expire since it has a guaranteed end value. My lease is up around the time the redesigned Explorer comes out in 2020.

Peter

For those who want to take an extra measure of security, this is the CO detector I use in my Explorer. It nestles perfectly on the plastic piece that covers the front cameras for lane keep and high beam assist.

https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Mult...501714306&sr=8-1&keywords=passive+co+detector

It's not electronic, but it'll work.

I have two of those. One on the tailgate, centered on the plastic trim, where I can see it in the rearview mirror, and one on the center console, on top of the compartment with the Sync logo on the lid.

Police departments have done a good job of honing in the problem by testing officers for carbon monoxide poisoning, but can anyone say without any doubt that this has not happened to any civilians driving Explorers that were involved in accidents? Perhaps all drivers and passengers of fifth generation Explorers involved in accidents should be tested for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Police departments have done a good job of honing in the problem by testing officers for carbon monoxide poisoning, but can anyone say without any doubt that this has not happened to any civilians driving Explorers that were involved in accidents? Perhaps all drivers and passengers of fifth generation Explorers involved in accidents should be tested for carbon monoxide poisoning.

I was reading the side affects of long term exposure to carbon dioxide and they explain most of the health issues I've been having over the last two years that doctors can't seem to figure out. Coincidentally almost had the Explorer for 2 years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For those who want to take an extra measure of security, this is the CO detector I use in my Explorer. It nestles perfectly on the plastic piece that covers the front cameras for lane keep and high beam assist.

https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Mult...501714306&sr=8-1&keywords=passive+co+detector

It's not electronic, but it'll work.

I'm going to quote myself here just to give Big Blue an idea.

You want to save your backsides in the short term? Work a deal with Kidde or some other mfgr to get CO detectors at cost/on the cheap. Then, tell everyone who has a concern, civilian or not, that they'll get a detector in the interim just in case they have any doubts about their vehicle. Just call the CRC for details or put up an online form.

Do something, Ford. The radio silence is destroying your name, at least this way you can buy yourself some engineering time.

I was reading the side affects of long term exposure to carbon dioxide and they explain most of the health issues I've been having over the last two years that doctors can't seem to figure out. Coincidentally almost had the Explorer for 2 years.

You too, eh...? Sigh.

Back