• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Ugh... can't find what I want...

X6StringerX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost
My wife and I haven't ridden bicycles in 10 years or so, but we've recently discussed adopting cycling, specifically mountain biking, as a serious hobby. In the mountains of West Virginia, there certainly isn't a shortage of areas to cycle. With that being said, we grew up riding your typical big box store bikes. We want something better this time around. I've been reading up on groupsets and I think I've decided on either a SRAM X5 or X7. I'm still undecided if I want a 26", 27.5", or a 29", but the biggest problem I'm having is not being able to find any SRAM-equipped bikes in the sub-$1000 range. Shimano is widely available, but I have a strong dislike for Shimano based on some of my experiences with their fishing reels and customer support.

So, are there any avid cyclers on the forum that can point me in the right direction? I think I would prefer to stay with a mainstream bike manufacturer such as Trek, Giant, Cannondale, GT, etc. I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Also, I've searched for a good cycling forum, but I haven't committed to joining one yet. If anyone has a forum recommendation, I'm all ears.

In summary, I'm looking for the following:

Sub-$1000 Price
SRAM X5 or X7 Groupset
Leaning toward 29", but would consider 26" or 27.5"
Fat tire bikes also intrigue me, but I don't know enough about them.

To make things even more difficult, I will be shopping for both a men's bike and a women's bike and I would like to have them spec'd similarly.

Thanks!