Ughh a/c out again i think | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ughh a/c out again i think

BoatsRcool

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Greenville SC (Home) Clemson SC (School)
Year, Model & Trim Level
GMC Yukon 4x4
ok, i changed over to R134a last week. Well I know what the stuff smells like, and today well it all worked great for about a week. well i was driving, and my friend went into blockbuster while i waited outside, and i had the a/c on. all of a sudden i could smell freon, and it got a little foggy not much but a little in the explorer. so i turned the a/c off and blasted the normal air. im afraid to turn the a/c back on.

Well If memory serves me right you cant smell refrigerant unless the manufacturer puts a chemical in the refrigerant to allow the smell when a leak is possible. and if that is so and you can smell it i'd get it cecked out right away wth a leak detector. I read a few articles when 134 was being brought out and a few test showed people havng heart attacks and dying from being in a room with about 5% 134a. but im not sure if those tests ever really proved any danger from it or if they were just a ploy. at any rate I'd get it checked out. maybe the fog was cuz it was just so damn cold n the car. hehe.

goodluck.

134 is nasty stuff... it is more people un friendly than freon.....

Back