UK/Europe (not US) 1997 Explorer Wiring Diagram needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

UK/Europe (not US) 1997 Explorer Wiring Diagram needed

RR2003

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer
Hi Everybody,

I have a quite specific problem for which I hope somebody could help, I have bought an immobiliser/fob from a scrapped 1997 Explorer on Ebay.This is the Bosch unit with the single button fob. (see picture)

bosch+immobiliser.jpg

Although it comes from an Explorer, I want to re-use it in another car (an old porsche 911): these immobilisers made by Bosch were sold to many manufacturers in the 1990': GM/vauxhall, Ford, Porsche and even Ferrari. The fobs are the same and units have only minor differences.

I have the Bosch unit, I have the Fob, however I do not have the wiring diagram of the 16 pin connector.

The European and US Explorer did not use the same immobilisers systems, they were completely different. You can find quite easily the US specs Explorers wiring Diagrams on the internet (even in this forum...), but what I need is the UK/European version of the wiring diagram. Can anyone help me?

For reference, the Porsche has the following:

Pin 1 led
Pin 2 nothing
Pin 3 Lock car signal (to the central locking)
Pin 4 Ground
Pin 5 Warning lamp (dashboard)
Pin 6 Switched 12v+
Pin 7 Buzzer contact (kind of key contact)
Pin 8 Permanent 12 v+
Pin 9 Diagnostic
Pin 10 nothing
Pin 11 diagnostic
Pin 12 nothing
Pin 13 nothing
Pin 14 UnLock car signal (to the central locking)
Pin 15 nothing
Pin 16 Starter relay

I will use the Ford module only for its keyless entry feature (on the porsche, there is already an alarm controlled by the central locking module) the Bosch immobiliser/keyless was an "add-on" option.

Basically, what i would need is to find the equivalence on the ford module of

Pin 1 led
Pin 4 Ground
Pin 6 Switched 12v+
Pin 8 Permanent 12 v+

Would anyone have a UK/Europe wiring diagram of 1997 explorer for me? Many thanks in advance,

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After a bit of quick research the key bit of info to concentrate on is the ecu type VIM 171. These were also used in some Ford Probes and maybe some of the Granada scorpios. I assume the pins will be the same across all models if the VIM number is the same.
Another thing that may help is Ford UK have a technical support help line that I was able to get from my dealership. I found them extremely helpful when trying to sort out problems with updates on parts for the transmission valve body, however I don't have the phone number as it was written on a receipt that went when I sold the truck. But if you phone Ford UK they may give it to you.

Hi Jan,

Many thanks for this, sadly this is not the one I need, the security system on ford were of 2 kind and were using two different modules:

- The PATS system
- The Keyless entry/immobiliser

The PATS is only a "Passive" Anti-Theft System, basically a module controlling that an "original" key (with the little chip in it) is in the ignition slot. There is a small antenna around the ignition key slot and if the "original" key is in the ignition, the module (as the one described in the link you sent me) will send a signal to the PCM (Powertrain conrol module: the ECU, actually) to authorise fuel pump activation and allow the engine to start.

The other module is the keyless entry/immobiliser system, it is the module that is linked to the key Fob. When the fob button is pressed, this module sends a signal to the central locking to open the doors and another signal to "activate" a relay in the fusebox (usually the starter relay) so that it will crank the engine if the key is turned.

Those two modules are independent and work separately ( in 1997 explorers, there was even no PATS at all...)

The wiring diagram I need is for the bosch keyless entry/immobiliser module

thanks again, best regards,

Bob

After a bit of quick research the key bit of info to concentrate on is the ecu type VIM 171. These were also used in some Ford Probes and maybe some of the Granada scorpios. I assume the pins will be the same across all models if the VIM number is the same.
Another thing that may help is Ford UK have a technical support help line that I was able to get from my dealership. I found them extremely helpful when trying to sort out problems with updates on parts for the transmission valve body, however I don't have the phone number as it was written on a receipt that went when I sold the truck. But if you phone Ford UK they may give it to you.

You are right, this is exactly what I need (wiring for the VIM 171 module), however it seems that the number of the Ford technical assistance (090 655 33 447) cannot be called from outside Uk...

Pin 1 led
Pin 4 Ground
Pin 6 Switched 12v+
Pin 8 Permanent 12 v+

Bob

Hi,

These are from my notes. Hopefully this will work for you.

fc711e59-8589-460e-bbd4-52c4fc272e68_zps068b5b0a.jpg

LED Pin 12
Lock Pin 14
Ground Pin 13
Switched 12v Pin 11
Perm. 12v Pin 9
Unlock Pin 15

SS

Hi,

These are from my notes. Hopefully this will work for you.

fc711e59-8589-460e-bbd4-52c4fc272e68_zps068b5b0a.jpg

LED Pin 12
Lock Pin 14
Ground Pin 13
Switched 12v Pin 11
Perm. 12v Pin 9
Unlock Pin 15

SS

Splendid! many many thanks, Stenasev!

I just received the new connector:

connector.png

I will try that tomorrow, the pin order seems quite different from the porsche version, Do you have by chance the correspondence of the other pins (just in case)?

many thanks again,

Bob

Connected but not working

Hi Stenasev,

Many thanks again, I did connect the VIM module with the wiring info you sent me and it seems to be powered, however the led is blinking slowly continuoulsy and whatever I do with the remote doesn't seem to have any impact (led continues to blink and no signal is coming out of the lock/unlock wires).

When I connect the switched 12v+, the led is blinking faster, but it seems to be the only difference.

Am I missing something? maybe is there a kind of security mode? or Maybe it needs that all the pins are connected to work properly (antenna?)

If you have a complete wiring diagram, that would be very helpful,

Best regards,

Bob

Hi Everybody,

I have a quite specific problem for which I hope somebody could help, I have bought an immobiliser/fob from a scrapped 1997 Explorer on Ebay.This is the Bosch unit with the single button fob. (see picture)

bosch+immobiliser.jpg

Although it comes from an Explorer, I want to re-use it in another car (an old porsche 911): these immobilisers made by Bosch were sold to many manufacturers in the 1990': GM/vauxhall, Ford, Porsche and even Ferrari. The fobs are the same and units have only minor differences.

I have the Bosch unit, I have the Fob, however I do not have the wiring diagram of the 16 pin connector.

The European and US Explorer did not use the same immobilisers systems, they were completely different. You can find quite easily the US specs Explorers wiring Diagrams on the internet (even in this forum...), but what I need is the UK/European version of the wiring diagram. Can anyone help me?

For reference, the Porsche has the following:

Pin 1 led
Pin 2 nothing
Pin 4 Ground
Pin 5 Warning lamp (dashboard)
Pin 6 Switched 12v+
Pin 7 Buzzer contact (kind of key contact)
Pin 8 Permanent 12 v+
Pin 9 Diagnostic
Pin 10 nothing
Pin 11 diagnostic
Pin 12 nothing
Pin 13 nothing
Pin 15 nothing
Pin 16 Starter relay

I will use the Ford module only for its keyless entry feature (on the porsche, there is already an alarm controlled by the central locking module) the Bosch immobiliser/keyless was an "add-on" option.

Pin 1 led
Pin 4 Ground
Pin 6 Switched 12v+
Pin 8 Permanent 12 v+

Would anyone have a UK/Europe wiring diagram of 1997 explorer for me? Many thanks in advance,

Bob

Hi did anyone manage to locate the wiring diagram requested here. Thx

Back