Um...is this safe?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Um...is this safe??

I am getting a set of 2000 Cobra R 18"x9.5" rims. They look great and I now just need a tire to match them. I have chosen Toyo Proxes S/T to do the job, but I have also chosen their size. Specifically, 255/55R18. Will these tires fit these rims properly?? Are there any issues that will have to be dealt with???

Basically, is this size of tire alright for my 18"x9.5" rim?? Thanks guys...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should be fine, but you will probably have a bit of rubbing at full lock, but that's no big deal.

you will be fine. trust me, i BUILD tires for a living. if you were going with a more "low profile" 255, like a 255/40/18, or whatever, then there MAY be a problem. it all has to do with what kind of angle it puts on the bead. a taller 255, like the 255/55/18's you have chosen, will have much less of an angle on the bead when they get "stretched out" on a 9.5 inch wheel. most tire shops wont mount a tire that would be "stretched" so far as to put the bead angle out of wack. if you would like me to go into further technical detail on what problems this would cause, i can, but i can assure you that you have nothing to worry about. im sorry if i got you worried about nothing in my last post. i did not mean less than ideal to mean "unsafe". there are certain ranges in tire sizes that work "ideally" on certain width wheels. like a 255-345 width would work on a 9.5 inch wide wheel. all i meant was 255 would be a little on the narrow side. NOT that a 255 would be a little unsafe... sorry about the confusion.

Ok well if it is safe, then I have a question about it "stretching out".....Is it gonna look like the rim is bigger than the tire?? Preferably I would like the tire to be exactly as wide (maybe a little wider) than the rim. So if you pass your hand from the edge of the rim, you do not have to bring your hand closer to your body in order to get closer to the wheel well....Know what I mean?? Basically, now that you've set my mind at ease for the safety issue, I want to know how it's going to look.....I want it to look good....

its not gonna look wider than the wheel. for that, on a 9.5" wide wheel, you need at least a 275 width. but, ive got 255/50's on the front of my 17x9 R's, and it is not even noticable. this would not be much different than the setup you plan on running. the 255's will look good, they're not gonna look stretched much at all. but, if you want something to "bulge out" a little past the wheel, youre gonna have to go wider than a 255...

I just don't want to see the wheel then have the tire like a half inch behind the outside rim of the wheel......I want it to look good :( I really want these tires as I found em for a real good price.....

go ahead and get them... they will be very close to even with the wheel.

Originally posted by SeanM
I just don't want to see the wheel then have the tire like a half inch behind the outside rim of the wheel......I want it to look good :( I really want these tires as I found em for a real good price.....

C'mon now, you know that won't happen. Below is an example of a 255/55/R18 tire on an 18 inch rim. I believe the width of the rim is 8.5 or 9.

exp-rims.jpg

Sorry....I just got kinda scared.....I really like the price on these Toyo Proxes S/T 255/55 R18s.....So once again.....They'll look fine??

PS: Where'd you get that link?? I want to see how it looks overall on the car....

They'll look fine and dandy. This is Dazsherm's ride, here's his link to pics: Dazsherm's Ex

I just let my scared-ness creep back into me....Those are 255/55 R18s on an a18" rim, but how wide was it??? I am getting a 9.5" wide wheel. I need to be sure as I do not want to have to send anything back. Help me out here guys....

Here's some shots of my 255's on a 9" wide rim. they look good to me.
194666_6_full.jpg

194666_11_full.jpg

Agreed. They do look good....But I am gonna have rims that are .5" wider....Not a big difference, but I want to make sure they will fit properly......Someone ease my mind.......

You are paranoid my friend, rest at ease, they will look FINE! ;)

you will be fine. its only .25" on each side... i bet if you put my tires on a 9.5" rim you wouldnt be able to tell the difference.

God dang I'm paranoid......Anybody else have some input on whether these (255/55 R18) tires are right/safe/good-looking enough for these rims??? (18"x9.5" Cobra Rs)

I'm sorry....I believe you guys, I just want some more people to say the same as it would calm my nerves a little better......gotta stop drinking coca-cola in the morning

I actually own 255/55/18's, but they are on 8.5's:
fotoa.JPG

They are not Toyos (remember,you get what you pay for, there might be a reason that those Toyos are less expensive...)

Michelin reccomends rim widths from 7.5 to 9 inches for this size....

See for yourself:

Tire Size Chart

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to ruin your day....Toyo reccomends 7.5 to 9.0 inch rim widths also:

Here is the link to thier website:
Dead Link Removed

I'd actually call Toyo if I were you and find out, how big a deal 1/2 inch is. As stated above, I don't think it would be a big deal.

Betcha Toyo has a 800 number you can call....
Probably 1-800-TOYO

I like typing "Toyo" Backwards it's: oyoT.

I gotta go and get my Toyo hooked up to the Toyo machine so I can Toyo out how many Toyo's are left before I Toyo in the Toyo.
If it was not for my horse, I would not have spent that year in college...

the above brought to you by Waaaaay too much cough syrup...

Back