• Register Today It's free!

Umm, wtf?

pzy3339

Reaction score
City, State
columbus ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006, 4x4 Limited 4.6
So im on the freeway today, in traffic, and im sitting at a standstill in a bumper to bumper lane. the lane next to me is flowing and i see an opening so i put my foot to the floor and away we go. this is the first time i have done this in this truck since ive only had it like 4 days.

at first everything was great, once the engine got up over about 2500rpms it was really pumping out some power, then second gear drops and SKUUUURRRR BAMM and the abs/traction/engine control all kicks in and my power is gone. it hit second gear so hard it spun the tires and the response to that is to engage 4x4, tractions control via brakes and engine control. that seems a bit overkill. i mean seriously. WTF

is this normal?

it did this the other day too, i was going like 15mph, decided to floor it to see what was up and it dropped from 2nd gear to 1st gear, spun the tires, then BAMMM into 4x4, traction/engine managament all at once. This is silly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This download is free.

The AdvanceTrac with RSC button, located on the center stack of the instrument panel, allows the driver to control certain features of the AdvanceTrac with RSC system below 25 mph (40 km/h). If the vehicle is below 25 mph (40 km/h), momentarily pressing the AdvanceTrac with RSC button will disable RSC, ESC and Engine Traction Control and steadily illuminate the “sliding car” icon. Pressing and holding the AdvanceTrac with RSC button for more than five seconds will further disable the brake portion of the Traction Control feature and the “sliding car” icon will flash momentarily and then illuminate steady.

If the vehicle is above 25 mph (40 km/h), momentarily pressing the AdvanceTrac with RSC button will steadily illuminate the “sliding car” icon, however, the AdvanceTrac with RSC system will remain enabled until the vehicle speed drops below 25 mph. If the vehicle speed decreases below 25 mph (40 km/h), the system will become deactivated, but if the vehicle speed subsequently increases to above 25 mph (40 km/h), the system will again become active. In general, the system will be active at all times the vehicle speed is above 25 mph (40 km/h). In R (Reverse), ABS and the Traction Control feature will continue to function, however ESC and RSC are disabled. All these conditions are normal during AdvanceTrac with RSC operation.

so essentially no matter what if i floor it its going to do this, bc by the time its going to hit 2nd gear i will be way over 25 mph.

no point having power you cant use. i guess atleast it is there for towing and for passing at higher speeds.

FYI this trans has a 4.17 first gear. Very, very low gear ratio. Hence the 3:55 rear gear. No 3:73 or 4:10 needed to launch this truck.

If the roads were wet, damp, etc, the tires will break loose every time and if not for the traction control system, you may have broke some driveline parts or a very expensive transmission.

i guess the bottom line is i am wondering if this is normal, or if second gear engages too aggressively. it kicks harder into second than any other gear, even under low throttle.

thanks for pitching in guys.

i guess the bottom line is i am wondering if this is normal, or if second gear engages too aggressively. it kicks harder into second than any other gear, even under low throttle.

thanks for pitching in guys.

You could always drop by your dealership, pzy3339. They'll be able to put your mind at ease regarding your vehicle's performance, or, if it comes to that, diagnose and repair it. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any other concerns.

Crystal

No idea of the specs of your truck but my parents had an '07 V8 and it never did anything like that. I could be turning at full throttle and the shift to second would spin front and rear wheels and get it sideways before TCS/ESP told me to behave myself.

Back