"Un-programming" an existing remote | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Un-programming" an existing remote

lrlima

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT V8
I currently have a 96 5.0 XLT. Car comes with keyless entry, but I've never had the remotes to operate the keyless.

Last night, I found a remote from a 99 4.0 EB that I used to own (thought I had lost it).

I tried to program the 99 remote to my 96 this morning following the other posts, but was unsuccessful. I cycled the key five times and the locks locked / unlocked. But when I pressed the remote button, I got nothing. Do I need to "unprogram" it? I just took the battery out of it hoping it will lose the existing code it had...But hadnt had a chance to try it yet. Any other ideas or will it even work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I opened up my keyless entry up all the way and did not see any user serviceable dip switches inside so I am guessing you might have to go through a locksmith or Ford. I have heard of prices from $75 to $250 for them from the dealer. I hope I never loose mine.

Irlima, the remote FOB keeps it's code forever, the vehicle module is what's re-programmed to accept the new remote. They will accept up to 7 or 8 different codes.

I'd try a new battery in it.....

If you can't get it to work and still want a remote/key fob . . . I got all three of mine on ebay! :thumbsup:

Back