• Register Today It's free!

Un stick a seized engine

DoraXLT94

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
im in the process of buying a 93 XLT thats in great shape other than a seized engine for $200. Before i buy it i want to know how to un seize it and how much it might cost before i dump money into a waste. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man if you getting it for 200 bucks get it and then just find someone on the site that has a motor that you can swap in.

I got my spare motor that is in my explorer right now from a totaled ranger that i bought for 150. I also got my five speed with the deal

"Unsticking" a motor will undoubtedly involved rebuilding it for a thousand or more. A used 4.0 can be had for $400.00 or less, often for $100.00-200.00

hard to unsieze a motor.

just get another one from junkyard.

It'll depnd mostly on why/how it got that way in the firt place.

A rod could have been thrown.

A piston/rings could be frozen (for whatever reasons) against the wall of the cyl.

A bolt could have fallen into the chamber.

Get the picture?

Aloha, Mark

I had a motor cycle engine froze up from setting. Soaking in penatrating oil and tapping the top of the pistons freed it. There was no build up of rust on the cylinder walls and the engine ran fine. I did of course drain the oil and change the filter after freeing the engine up.

Now if there is a mechanical failure that caused it to seize you would probably be better off cost wise to buy a used engine.

The only way to unsieze a motor properly is to remove the pistons and replace the rings aswell hone out the cylinders not bore just clean them up to remove the rust ridge created by the piston ring. now with that said if you cant do that or cant afford a new motor yet remove the spark plugs on pour regular 5 or 10w 30 oil into the cylinders just enough to cover the tops of the pistons DONT fill the cylinders put the plugs back in finger tight and leave for atleast 24h then remove the plugs again and turn the motor using a johnson bar and a socket on the crank pulley nut do it using moderate jerks until it breaks free now once its free turn the motor over a few times by hand. remove the coil lead or connector from the coil block and crank engine a bunch of times but do it in intervals you dont want to ruin your starter! after that it should be fine. but as stated in the other reply you need to know why it seized! you could be wasting your time! if it was heat seized give it a try you might get lucky. and if it does work monitor your oil level for the first 2 o 3000 mi smell for gas. you will get some blow by because of the rough cylinder walls but if its a noticible rise in the fluid level immediatly change the oil. hope all works out for you!
Take Care,
Ford guy in denial!

Thanks guys i'll most likely get it and if it doesnt work out i could always use the parts for my 94' if i ever need them

^^ All valid points, the motors I have seen unstuck were ones rusted solid because of water in exhaust. They were in tractors and power units.

Is there an easy way to unseize rings.]

The compression in my 4.0l SOHC is from 50 to 70 psi.

I squirted oil in the #1 cylinder and the compression was 100 psi.

Is there an easy way to unseize rings.]

The compression in my 4.0l SOHC is from 50 to 70 psi.

I squirted oil in the #1 cylinder and the compression was 100 psi.
I think your problem is that your cylinder walls are all scored up

rings vs cyl walls

I had a Corvair Spyder with stuck rings so is there a way to tell the difference without tearing the motor down?

Why do you think it's seized?

Was it just sitting around for a long time? That could be as easy as some 2 Cycle oil in the Pistons over night then rotate with a wrench on the crank.

You might get lucky and have a dependable runner.

Something broken in the Head is Bad $$$

Broken Timing Chain and crashed Valves is bad.

I had a Corvair Spyder with stuck rings so is there a way to tell the difference without tearing the motor down?

I have never done it but I've heard of people unsticking Piston Rings by using a Combustion Chamber Cleaning agent and actually using enough to stall the engine out and leaving it soak overnight, meaning getting enough in the combustion chamber to soak the pistons down. Not sure how this would work with a Corvair since I think the Pistons sit sideways therefor not allowing the cleaner soak on the rings?? I would try it anyway before tearing the engine down and then perform an Italian Tune-up on it!! i.e. Fill it with Hi-Test and Drive it Like You Stole It!!!!

Stuck rings

I used to own a Corvair in 1967.
I now have a 98 Explorer 4.0l SOHC with what I think is stuck rings.
The compression in #1 cyl. was 58 psi. and I squirted oil in it and it went up to 100 psi. This sounds like seized rings. I want to know what is the best product to put in the cyl. and hopefully unstick them.
I can't stall the engine because it wouldn't start.
psi#1-58;#2-70;#3-50;#4-60;#5-30;#6-60

How about acetone or muriatic acid?

I used to own a Corvair in 1967.
I now have a 98 Explorer 4.0l SOHC with what I think is stuck rings.
The compression in #1 cyl. was 58 psi. and I squirted oil in it and it went up to 100 psi. This sounds like seized rings. I want to know what is the best product to put in the cyl. and hopefully unstick them.
I can't stall the engine because it wouldn't start.
psi#1-58;#2-70;#3-50;#4-60;#5-30;#6-60

How about acetone or muriatic acid?

There is this stuff that Boat Marinas swear by for clearing out carbon that is hanging up the Rings on 2 cycle Outboard engines. It can be purchased at a Johnson/Evenrude dealer it's called ENGINE TUNER it comes in a Red white and blue can made by OMC. For extreme problems, Spray the stuff in the cylinders and set overnight. run at a fast idle until it clears up.
I haven't heard of it used on cars. just thought I'd toss it out there since it's supposed to be great for cleaning out the Rings

Stuck rings

Thanks for the info.
Anything that works is better than tearing the engine down.I'm still interested in the value of Acetone or muriatic acid.

Be careful with the acid because of possible damage to the aluminum pistons,,ACETONE shouldnt hurt any thing except the oil. I once installed a low milage chevy v8 engine that had set for a year with no sparkplugs in it. used oil like crazy. After trying several remedies with out any success I tore it down and replaced the rings , problem solved.. Elbow

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Acid

Ya I found out Muriatic acid is 30% hydrochloric acid and 70% water.Not a good idea.

I may have some luck with acetone.

The FINAL solution. Re and re.

Back