Unable to open back passenger side door | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Unable to open back passenger side door

fredferrell

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2001 Ford Explorer XLT and last week the back passenger side door stopped allowing me to open it. I recently had to get a new clip for the back hatch door handle and I was thinking it is the same thing.

The symptoms are when I unlock the doors, the latch on this back door doesn't seem to go up all the way. I tried pulling it up by hand and can feel that it isn't coming up all the way.

I tried to remove the door panel, but was not able to and I didn't see any other threads on this forum that showed how to take the door panel off.

If anyone has instructions on how to remove the door panel and help determine what is causing this issue please let me know. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there should be 2 small phillip's head screws near the inside door handle. remove them. there's a plastic piece around the door inside door handle. pop it off. using a trim panel removal tool, starting at the bottom, pop out the plastic panel retainers (you may need to replace them as they sometimes break, but they're cheap and available at most auto parts stores). work your way up the sides then lift the interior panel up to release it. unplug the wires from the speaker, lock and window buttons and remove the panel.

with problems like this, i often have found the only real problem is a lack of lubrication, or it may be a bent rod or broken rod clip. all easy fixes. if the problem is a bad door lock actuator, it's a little more difficult and expensive to fix.

Koda,

Thanks for your response.

I was able to get the 2 screws off and the plastic piece around the door handle, but can't get the panel retainers off. Is the trim panel removal tool able to get behind the panel even if I can't open the door?

Koda,

Thanks for your response.

I was able to get the 2 screws off and the plastic piece around the door handle, but can't get the panel retainers off. Is the trim panel removal tool able to get behind the panel even if I can't open the door?

no. you'd have to get it open first. i didn't realize you couldn't get it open at all.

I'm having the same problem. Does this mean the trim panel will have to be cut through and then replaced?

I'm having the same problem. Does this mean the trim panel will have to be cut through and then replaced?

well, i guess that would be one solution. not a particularly good one, but a solution. it wont even unlock if you pull/jerk up on the lock rod with pliers?

Ok, I had the same problem with my 97 a couple of years ago. When you unlocked it the knob just would not go up all the way. What you have to do it get in the back seat on the floor and start at the front of the panel at the bottom. I used one of those small screw drivers that is bent on each end. The flat bladed ones will just barely get under the corner of the panel. Use a shop towel or rag against the metal so you don"t scratch the paint and work it under the edge. You can then pull toward the center of the vehicle and you should be able to get the panel to pop out on the corner. Then stick your hand in and start pulling it free. Once you do get the panel off there is a rod that goes from the actuator up to the outside handle. Grab it and lift up and then open the door with either handle. The problem is a small spring has broken that keeps this rod from going up all the way and that in turn keeps it from unlocking all the way. I bought an assorted box of springs and hooked it to the inside of the handle and to the bottom of the rod and it worked like a charm.

If it were mine I would unbolt the hinge (access from the front door striker) give you more room to work

Bill

Tex and Bill,

Sounds great. I was planning to remove the carpet for a good cleaning anyway, so taking the seat out isn't a big deal.

Thanks.

Having the seat out will give you more room but it is not necessary.

As for me I finally got my door open . . .

The problem is a small spring has broken that keeps this rod from going up all the way and that in turn keeps it from unlocking all the way. I bought an assorted box of springs and hooked it to the inside of the handle and to the bottom of the rod and it worked like a charm.

Would it happen to be this spring at the latch? The linear tension spring that appears to not be attached to anything at the top

20130928_183601.jpg

20130928_183553.jpg

I ask because I saw no such loose spring in the left latch:

20130928_183529.jpg

Based on previous similar experiences on this vehicle (driver's door) and a Ford Focus, I'm afraid to close my door yet . . .

Was able to pull the spring right out. Had at least an inch of uncoiled wire at the other end without a loop/hook.

The spring is broken...

And it needs to be replaced...Or replace the latch and it comes with the spring in the correct location...VERY common Ford problem...I had both latches not work when I bought my Ex and replaced both latches before I discovered that the spring is the issue and I could have just replaced that in the latch and saved the cost of the new latches...

Back